"Why does America always bomb other countries?", my son asked tonight.

by digderidoo 230 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

America has propped up every 3rd world toilet on this planet, if it weren't for the charity of the American government and our people, 90% of the world would be eating maggots.

That is for the American hating crowd, which seems to be most prevalent in groups like the XJW community, Hollywood and the Taliban. Don't forget JW land either, except they have to hide their contempt under the guise of neutrality.

The above wasn't intended for the original poster as he seemed sincere in what his child was stating, my only answer to you is that perhaps your news media is just as liberal and slanted as ours is over here and that is why your son may have that impression, also he is young and probably don't remember much before 9-11.

• Free
    Free

OK all you Bush haters, Being that there are some U.S. bashers that happen to have such great advice on this issue.

What do you think the U.S.should do since hindsight is 20/20 and you have all the answers now.

What did you think when we went and crushed the Taliban ?

Was that OK? or should we have let them just hang around and think of new ways to kill Americans, along with AL-Qaeda ?

All you history teachers seem to know so much about everything .

I couldn't care less what they or George Bush thinks. I just so happen to have been born here, same as you and we both have no control over what our leaders do.

I do know that I like being an American and am proud of it no matter who is in charge or what actions they take against radical Dictators or Religious freaks. ( That is who you are defending isnt it? ) who we have bombed.

As far as the U.S. and its demise,Why ? because gas went up $1 ,YEAH RIGHT ! Not In any of our life times. Maybe our Gov. has shot itself in the foot, but the people will never fall, NEVER.

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

dig...does the translation of ALWAYS mean the same over there as it does over here. In other words is it a black and white, night and day, either it is or it isn't, all or nothing expression, which would give the indication that something is done 100% of the time?

• rekless
    rekless
    We don't "live here". If you look under my name you can see we live in sunny Britain

Paul, You may live here and just say you live in Britain the same as I could be living in Britain and acting like a USA citizen.I see some posters location change from the virgin Islands to Austrialia and Sweden, or Norway

If the USA hadn't come to your defence you would speaking German. All I'm saying is the USA is the most generious country in the world.

With the WT you would be disfellowshipped if you questioned the tower, here in my country You can question its actions and call Bush a monkey and nothing happens.

To those who think Cuba has a great medical system, you need to stop wasting your time at Michale Moore's movies and believing in Al Gore's global warming.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo
    dig...does the translation of ALWAYS mean the same over there as it does over here. In other words is it a black and white, night and day, either it is or it isn't, all or nothing expression, which would give the indication that something is done 100% of the time?

http://dictionary.die.net/always 2: seemingly without interruption; often and repeatedly;
    "always looking for faults"; "it is always raining"; "he
    is forever cracking jokes"; "they are forever arguing"
    [syn: forever]

Why do you ask?

Paul

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Paul, You may live here and just say you live in Britain the same as I could be living in Britain and acting like a USA citizen.I see some posters location change from the virgin Islands to Austrialia and Sweden, or Norway

I live in a small town called Dudley in England.

If the USA hadn't come to your defence you would speaking German.

Of course the US was there for us. But that doesn't mean we should back the US up in every decision it makes. It's rather like someone saying we helped you build your house, so you should help us with every house we build in the future.

Paul

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

dig... As I said previously no offense intended. The word ALWAYS stuck out to me from the first post, so I wanted to double check the meaning

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

From the center for Global Development.

How much does the U.S. help?

David Roodman

01/07/2005

Why did a U.N. official’s remark soon after the tsunami hit that rich countries are “stingy” stir such a furor in the U.S.? We are a thick-skinned people, inventors of “Crossfire” and the NFL, led by a president who takes pride in disregarding foreign opinion. Yet even though Jan Egeland, the U.N. point person for disaster relief, did not single out the U.S., his words hit a raw nerve.

Secretary of State Collin Powell, USAID administrator Andrew Natsios, and President Bush himself rallied to the defense of American generosity. The outraged Wall Street Journal said, “Mr. Egeland is simply wrong.” Carol Adelman, a former USAID official, pointed out in the New York Times that the U.S. gives more in absolute terms than any other country.

But an honest survey of how America and its government affect poorer nations gives plenty of cause for shame—and a few sources of pride. When it comes to foreign aid, for example, we are in fact stingy. True, America provides more official aid than any other country. But the $16 billion in aid the U.S. government gave in 2003 works out to just 15¢ per American per day. Compare that to 29¢ for the United Kingdom, 33¢ for France, and $1.23 for Norway. Americans give more through church groups, the Red Cross, and other charities, but that amounts to just another six cents a day, and does not close the gap with other rich countries.

Largely forgotten in the heated debate has been that foreign aid is just one channel linking us with poorer countries. For example, the relative openness of the United States to toys, cameras, and cars facilitated rapid industrialization and poverty decline in China, and before that South Korea, and before that Japan. Americans take pride in that. On the Commitment to Development Index, a ranking maintained by the Center for Global Development and Foreign Policy magazine that covers seven policy areas, the U.S. ranks tops on trade policy among 21 rich countries.

But the U.S. does maintain significant barriers. In fact in 2004, it collected $1.8 billion from tariffs—taxes—imposed on imported clothing and other goods from India, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, and Thailand, five times what it promised those tsunami-hit countries in emergency aid. Nevertheless, the U.S. is more open than Europe or Japan.

The United States also does well, at least compared to its peers, on migration. It is relatively easy for someone from El Salvador, Mexico, or Somalia to the come to the United States, get a job, and send home money—or get training and return home with skills and entrepreneurial energy. Immigrants remitted $32 billion to Latin America and the Caribbean in 2002, six times what the region received in foreign aid. The index ranks the U.S. second on immigration, ahead of Australia and behind Canada, two other nations of migrants.

But in other ways, the United States is less exemplary. With its low gas taxes and sprawling suburbs, the country is a major contributor to global warming. And as the tsunami should remind us, poor countries are most vulnerable to the ravages of nature. Global warming could inundate large sections of low-lying Bangladesh, forcing millions of poor farmers off their land. For a really generous response to the problem of inundations in the Indian Ocean, Americans could climb out of their SUVs.

The U.S. global military reach is another essential aspect of our international profile. Evaluating the impact of these activities on poor people in developing countries is tough and controversial. In the Commitment to Development Index, we give credit for military activities that are endorsed by an international body, such as the UN or the NATO Council. For its size, the United States makes only average contributions to such operations.

Combining all this information with scores for investment and technology policy, the U.S. ties Germany, Norway, and France for seventh place for overall support for development. That makes the U.S. above-average among the 21 donor countries, but hardly commensurate with the boast that we are the most generous nation on earth.

• rekless
    rekless
    "Roodman spent academic year 1998–99 on a Fulbright in Vietnam. Upon returning, he became interested in financial markets and has since beaten his benchmark by 74 percentage points (61 after inflation adjustment). Roodman has never taken a course in economics or statistics. He majored in theoretical mathematics at Harvard College, graduating magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa in 1990."
  • Preston
    Preston

"Why does America always bomb other countries?"

I think when I was a kid this was a question I did ask my parents. I think at a certain age you see the world in a different way, and I think that has to be taken into consideration.

I always try to get a different understanding on how our country is portrayed in other nations by reading their papers and seeing their news programs (er.. programmes) . I don't think the USA is, well, that bad. I differ and disagree on almost everything that pretty much reflects our nation's current foreign and domestic policy but,.. we really just don't bomb other counties probably to the extent that those young children think we do within the context of their own life experiences. We also help a lot of countries. We've helped middle eastern countries hurt by earthquakes, we've sent our armies into harms way to help the afflicted, and we even offer to send aid to countries that refuse to be helped.

Another thing is that our defense industry has a lot of power within the country despite Eisenhower's farewell address regarding the influence of a "military industrial complex". Companies like Boeing and GD have industries in almost every state in our country and minimizing their buying power would result in a lot of job losses and voter constituencies that help state economies and ultimately elections.

I honestly think this wouldn't be an issue if we didn't invade Iraq and decided to target a country that never attacked us. We had an excellent opportunity after 9/11 to be the most popular country in the entire world, and we blew it. Even countries like Iran were creating vigils in our behalf.

I do think in our country that we are also going through a period of time reflective of a generational change that seeks better, more innovative ways to promote peace in the world. I hope things pan out well.

- Preston

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit