"Why does America always bomb other countries?", my son asked tonight.

by digderidoo 230 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo
    bigotry comes from ignorance and ignorance starts with parents who don't give their children thoughtful responses to important questions.

First of all he isn't a bigot for asking why America drops bombs, these events mean European youths of today can form their own opinions . As for giving him a thoughtful response, i have, our journey in the car was a detailed conversation. I do not agree with what the American government is doing at the moment, which is what i said. Sorry if you don't agree with me but this doesn't make me or my son a bigot.

Paul

• digderidoo
    digderidoo
    digderidoo, no offense intended, but if you have a 13 year old who has made it this far in life without knowing about WWII and the bombs being dropped on Japan, it is probably safe to say they he won't be running your country in 20 years.

He may not be running for the country in 20 years, he is a typically average English kid, which is my point.

Paul

• Warlock
    Warlock

This is the script for every world power in history, except the current weapons are more frightful.

The next world power will do the same thing.

I hope I'm not around to see it.

Warlock

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

I'm not saying that you or your child are bigots. The 13 year old has to be told by the 11 year old that nuclear bombs indeed were dropped in WWII. The 13 year old then goes on to talk about how America drops bombs everywhere....and you as a father didn't know what to say. It would seem to me that the 11 year old is the most informed in the car. Why does America always bomb countries? It doesn't. It may seem like it to a 13 year old, but thats where Dad comes in, to give him some historical perspective. You don't know what to say? How about giving him the history lesson that he sorely needs, beginning with Europe during the 20th century.

• beksbks
    beksbks

5g, no, you misunderstood my post completely

B. By your assertion that
    Israel squashes anything that kinda looks funny
    I guess you mean they'll deserve what's coming to them.

Nope, that's not what I meant. What I meant is that they would do fine against Iran without us.

C. I suppose
    have more dignity than to resort to such foolishness
    means defending Israel is a stupid endeavor... And, of course, you are so much smarter than little ol' me. (Typical)

This is so far off the beam I dunno where you got it. I meant a man in McCains position should have more sense than to make a disgusting joke like that in front of a camera.

• TopHat
    TopHat

I think the USA should have let the Nazie's win WWTwo and Japan continue to conquer Asia and China. Then your son might be asking "Why is my Dad dead" "Why wasn't I born" "What is Freedom"

• real one
    real one

O beautiful for spacious skies,
    For amber waves of grain,
    For purple mountain majesties
    Above the fruited plain!

America! America!
    God shed His grace on thee,
    And crown thy good with brotherhood
    From sea to shining sea!

• journey-on
    journey-on

Well said, Top Hat. Or a generation after 9-11: Why do I have to wear this burqa and cover my face, Mama? Why do I have to pray a gazillion times a day to Allah, Mama? Why don't we have electricity and automobiles and industries like Grandma and Grandpa did? Why can't I listen to the kind of music I want to like G'ma and G'pa did? Why can't I worship some other god or why can't I quit believing in god, period?

• Indo_Dude
    Indo_Dude

It's always surprising to me to see a group of individuals who escaped a high control / cult that simply replace their point of worship from one thing (JWs) to another (nationalism). They never challenge their underlying issue which is, "how is my thought process and belief system fundamentally flawed as to allow this to happen", and what should I do to fix it?

Many blindly gulped down the watery gruel that the WTBS dished up claiming it was ribeye steak, and never questioned the incongruencies. Now that they are out of the JWs, they repeat the behavior by greedily eating the gruel the United States (or any other country) propaganda machinary can churn out and tell everyone it's not gruel they are eating, but succulent oyster stew.

The "United States" is not evil, nor good. It is an inantimate object so therefore cannot be either good or evil. The actions of which it carries out however can be judged or evaluated as good / evil. Not everything the United States does is evil. Nor conversely is everything that it does good. Because what most people consider to be "good", or battling on the fields of Europe in WWII, does that obscure or give the USA a "free pass" as it were for its actions in Iraq? In Abu-Gharib prison? The Japanese Internment? The prisons of Guantanamo Bay?

Also, whenever someone brings up a point of contention, so many spin into a label/deny/dismiss behavior. Anything that is critical of their beliefs in nationalism are branded as "America haters", when in fact nothing could be further from the truth. I've spent time overseas teaching and it's not a "hate", but rather a frustration with America. That it is on such a blindedly wrongheaded course and refuses to listen to any of her allies.

I don't think most Americans have a clue either as to what the evening news looks like in many countries. Every night, and I mean every night, there are video clips showing Palestinians being maimed and killed by Isreali military personnel, as well as normal every day Iraqi citizens dead, maimed, and burned from American military "fallout". These images are what people around the globe are seeing EVERY NIGHT. These actions will color a generation of children and young adults I assure you. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. America has set up a number of issues to deal with as a result of its action in the future. The United States and the CIA helped put Saddam into power in the first place. The went on to arm him, supply intelligence and military training to him and his forces, and supported him for many years. As long as Saddam kept the balance of power in the middle east and the free flow of oil, the US turned a blind eye to his thuggish behavior. Just like America turns a blind eye to the Saudis (you know the 19 people who flew planes into the towers...those 19 Saudis) and their own funding of radical Islam sects to stay in power.

• journey-on
    journey-on

It's always surprising to me to see a group of individuals who escaped a high control / cult that simply replace their point of worship from one thing (JWs) to another (nationalism). They never challenge their underlying issue which is, "how is my thought process and belief system fundamentally flawed as to allow this to happen", and what should I do to fix it?

Many blindly gulped down the watery gruel that the WTBS dished up claiming it was ribeye steak, and never questioned the incongruencies. Now that they are out of the JWs, they repeat the behavior by greedily eating the gruel the United States (or any other country) propaganda machinary can churn out and tell everyone it's not gruel they are eating, but succulent oyster stew.

By the same token, it's always surprising to me how one's intense hatred of what the WTS stands for (mind-control cultish behavior) carries over into the same mindset toward their own country. They never challenge their own view because they are absolutely certain that America is behind everything that's wrong in the world. There is no way in the world you or any other Joe/Jane Blow can know what our elected leaders know behind the scenes.

And as far as the global media.........If you believe it all hook line and sinker, then you are blindly gulping down your own brand of watery gruel.

We are intelligent people here. We know war is cruel. It should make your stomach turn when you see the casualties and the horrific collateral damage war causes. I hope our human civilization will evolve to the point where war is a thing of the past. We all do. But to get to that point, somebody has to make sure we KEEP AND MAINTAIN the freedoms to be able to get to that better place. Without them, we are going nowhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit