"Why does America always bomb other countries?", my son asked tonight.

by digderidoo 230 Replies latest jw friends

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Why are we so good at coming up with reasons to drop bombs, or coming up with apologies for war. but when it comes to reasons to not make war or drop bombs, we are sorely lacking? As the last few years have shown, it is very easy to convince a nation to run headlong into a war. It's like we are constantly with our fingers on a hair trigger ready to pull it when it comes to war, but as for reasons to maintain peace, we are always short on those reasons.

As this thread has proved, reasons to drop bombs are never in short supply. Reasons for peace, we don't have many.

• rmt1
    rmt1

The 13 yo's generalization needs to be factored. The America that "is" is not the America that "was", so there is no "Always", and subsequently there is no single "why". Multipolar America dropped a Fat Man to accomplish a certain set of objectives, including fanfare as a potential superpower. The present unipolar America remotely pilots a Reaper to bomb a carload of turbans to accomplish a different set of objectives, including minimization of newsworthy nuisance in the maintenance of a civilized petroleum-driven exceptionalism. Regarding the earlier set of objectives, one could compare Stalin's political death toll of at least a few million (and the total USSR unnatural death toll of tens of millions) against the two demonstrations of the atom bomb to the Russians and incidental Japanese death toll. Regarding the present set of objectives, he might explore the American sense of entitlement to the open road, and all its subprocesses, including extended suburbia/exurbia, McMansion Farms, urban sprawl, strip malls, the SUV phenomenon. Americans have the greatest surface area of interface with their physical environment, which is matched by having the greatest ecological and energy footprint. No normal American desires to give these things up. But if/as American exceptionalism and unipolarity decay, this would/will be inevitable, at least for the lower classes.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo
    The 13 year old then goes on to talk about how America drops bombs everywhere....and you as a father didn't know what to say. It would seem to me that the 11 year old is the most informed in the car. Why does America always bomb countries? It doesn't. It may seem like it to a 13 year old, but thats where Dad comes in, to give him some historical perspective. You don't know what to say? How about giving him the history lesson that he sorely needs, beginning with Europe during the 20th century

When i said i didn't know what to say, it is not that i am ignorant of why America does it. His question was more rhetorical in that it was said with a moan and a sigh. I, in turn had no response to this because i can see his point of view.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

How do your kids feel about the Germans bombing the Spanish, Poles, French and Russians before the United States bombed anybody?

Or the Japanese bombing the Chinese?

Palestinian rockets being shot into Israel?

Or for that matter, the British bombing the Germans?

Only the historically ignorant think we're the only ones bombing people. Not attempt to justify anything, or bash other people. Just points to bring up if you actually want to talk to your kids about this.

I am not historically ignorant in that these events have happened. However what they and kids over here see happening in their limited lifetime is what America is doing. I do make it clear however, that Britain is right at America's side.

Paul

• snowbird
    snowbird

I suppose his questioning was along the line of why other countries never bomb America?

Tell him to stick around. I suspect America will be recompensed in the very near future.

Sylvia

• rekless
    rekless

Let me kill this thread too!

The US of A is the moist generious country in the world. We feed cloth and take care of the world and the world kicks us in the ass every chance it gets. How many countires have donated to ouyr Katrina fund or any of the other catatrophies we have gone through in the past few years. All you USA bashing idiots need to thank your luycky stars that you live in this country.

We have friends in Europe that has been trying to gat back sergury for seven years, she is still waiting.

To clue you in the President of the USA can not do anything without the congress consent. The only thing he can do is recommend judges for the supreme court, and that has to go through congress.

You need to tell your children no matter how bad this country is just be thankful they live here so they question the governments actions.

I suspect America will be recompensed in the very near future.

Sylvia, have you forgotten 9-11 and the twin towers?

• SacrificialLoon
  • Layla33
    Layla33

I suppose his questioning was along the line of why other countries never bomb America?

Tell him to stick around. I suspect America will be recompensed in the very near future.

I hate to sound fatalistic, but I agree. In the next ten years I suspect every US city will be bombed - most likely by Russia.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo
    You need to tell your children no matter how bad this country is just be thankful they live here so they question the governments actions.

We don't "live here". If you look under my name you can see we live in sunny Britain

Paul

• beksbks
    beksbks

Thanks Sac Loon, that was great.

I find this one particularly interesting.

Cuba
    One of the first countries to offer aid, Cuba offered to send 1,586 doctors and 26 tons of medicine. This aid was rejected by the State Department.

Many in America prefer to believe that the rest of the world is lacking in some way, not quite right somehow. I remember feeling this way as a child having been raised a JW. Somehow everyone who wasn't a witness was not to be trusted, slightly evil, or just unworthy.

Rekless,

You need to tell your children no matter how bad this country is just be thankful they live here so they question the governments actions

But when we question the governments actions, we are told that we have the best country in the world, and we should be grateful. We are called America haters. Almost like saying if you question the Watchtower Society, you must hate God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit