The JWD stigma about being "nice"

by changeling 108 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I had to go looking for that:

giving free will, but within certain limitation.
    i cannot will myself to limitless mutation.
    i cannot know what i would be if i were not me.
    i can only guess me.
    so when i say that i know me, how can i know that?
    what kinda spider understands arachnophobia?
    i have my senses and my sense of having senses.
    do i got them, or they me?
    the weight of dust exceeds the weight of settled object.
    what can it mean, such gravity without a center?
    is there freedom to un-be? is there freedom for will to be?

sheer momentum makes us act this way or that way.
    we just invent or just assume a motivation.
    i would disperse, be disconnected.
    is this possible?
    what a soldier without a _
    being the air, but not be air. being the no air.
    being the air, but not be air. being the no air.
    beyond the loose neither compacted nor suspended.
    had i been free, i could have chosen not to be me.
    demented forces push me madly 'round a treadmill.
    demented forces push me madly 'round a treadmill.

• wings
    wings

what kind of spider, indeed.

• compound complex
    compound complex

... a nice spider.

the video!

CoCo

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

'Cuddly, warm and fuzzy!'

The only such creature I know of that is all those things is a lion.

This board is an arena for debate, argument and discussion. There is room for everyone and we can skip the threads that don't appeal to us.

I have been involved in the big egotistical, intellectual debates on this board under my real identity. The truth is I got bored with debating the same old issues with some very bright people and some very ignorant people. My favourite posters have mostly left over the years.

There is also room for humour here. I have taken leave of myself and have re assumed a comical persona set up some years ago with the deliberate intention of having fun and encouraging people on the board to not take themselves or their beliefs so seriously. I also enjoying being a fictional character that allows me to be someone that I am not. You do realize that I am not really a Gladiator - don't you?

I personally like to see the big brains in earnest combat fighting to the death to defend and justify their intellectual property.

I have neither the time or inclination to 'go there' any more but I still like to be entertained. Like an emperor watching the Gladiators testing each others metal.

ad verecundiam
    (Appeal to modesty in an argument)

TG

• inrainbows
    inrainbows

Arrogance, willful ignorance, bad manners and cluelessness are not nice qualities.

Arrogance is, for example, presuming that after being so wrong about our religious beliefs we do not need to seriously re-examine our beliefs regarding the nature of god, 'holy books' and science that have been so wharped by our exposure to a cult.

Willful ignorance is refusing to inform oneself adequately when one has deficiencies in ones knowledge pointed out.

Bad manners is not conceeding error when one commits error, not giving credit where credit is due.

Cluelessness is wondering why people get annoyed when one displays one or more of the above qualities.

If you observe 'un-nice discussions' they often feature ex-cultists still clinging to cultic preconceptions and assumptions about the world being offended at the very idea they might not be adequately informed about a subject to be able to competently pass judgement, refusing to go and do anything about their lack of knowledge, not admitting they didn't know things or saying they were wrong when they were, and then being surprised at the reaction they provoke.

Obviously sometimes those who are more knowledgeable (and it is mostly about knowledge, not about intelligence) are irracable, caustic, unreasonable etc., without any real reason. Sometimes they are just pushed to it by the above described behaviour. People pretending to have a discussion when they are just repeating the preconceptions they started with that no facts will change are annoying.

Ego can have as much to do with the 'I'm not adequately informed about this subject but am going to pontificate anyway' crew as with the 'intellectual' crew.

People should be free to be warm and fuzzy as they like, but being warm and fuzzy in a serious discussion (on a discussion board) and being bruised by the reaction is a result of their unrealistic expectations. Warm and fuzzy works on warm and fuzzy threads. Proper discussion need mutual respect, but that is a two way street; the aforementioned behaviour is not respectful.

• *summer*
    *summer*

Good morning, Changeling...

Just read this entire "nice" thread while having my morning coffee.

Arent't you happy to see that things haven't changed one bit while you were away???

Welcome back home:-)

• changeling
    changeling

Good morning *summer*! "Nice" to hear from you.

Yes, it seems "some things never change".

I've learned my lesson though. It seems that "genuinely" nice (and I don't consider nice to be an insult) people must never attempt to call attention to the unkind behaviour of others, for if they do, they will be branded as hypocrites. Nice + speaking out = hypocrite.

In other words, to be "genuinely" nice means to keep one's mouth shut and let the "geniunely" not so nice do their thing.

You learn something every day!

Have a "nice" one,

changeling :)

• wings
    wings
    People should be free to be warm and fuzzy as they like, but being warm and fuzzy in a serious discussion (on a discussion board) and being bruised by the reaction is a result of their unrealistic expectations. Warm and fuzzy works on warm and fuzzy threads. Proper discussion need mutual respect, but that is a two way street; the aforementioned behaviour is not respectful.

inrainbows: I just wanted to clarify something. I am only mostly nice. Kind of like Wesley was only mostly dead. I am also part smart ass. Which means that I get to break the nice rules at my leisure. I'm working on being mean to bring more balance to my personallity. So, I'll react any way I want, any time I want, to any topic thank you very much.

Also, I thought Burn's thread (where this debacle started) was a light hearted topic more a place for smart ass comments, but certainly not a serious discussion for the intellectual elite (what were you guys doing there???).

Oh, BTW, Welcome

wings

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I am not nice. Have no use for being nice. I am respectful. If someone says something that I feel I need to respond to I don't get into personal attacks or baiting. I make my point and move on.

I don't do "warm and fuzzy" too well. I am more into the research and snarky humor. There is plenty of room for all kinds, and everything has its place. A dose of healthy respect of differences is always a good thing.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Cuddly Club? Is there some secret elite area of JWD that I don't have access to?

I am more of a one-on-one cuddler, and a hot tub will do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit