CONFIRMED Book Study amalgamated with the TMS and SM

by yesidid 135 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot
    I would like to know why do you think that the Governing Body is "tweaking" the scheduling of meetings?

My theory is compromise.

The conservatives are wanting to maintain the hard-core 'the end is nigh' . This is why the last couple of year DCs have had restrictive themes.

The realists are wanting to mainstream to keep relevent for the next 100 years. Building a better printing plant (3-7 year project). Removal of 1935 creates the problem of more then 144,000 partaking and the WTS will eventually allow all to partake. Blood is on its way out. The GB can continue to recruit replacements forever. This change makes our schedule look more like Christendom's Wed/Sun meeting schedule.....

I think eventually we will resemble the Mormons in the sense of building membership by retention and larger families.

The goal of the WTS is not to 'declare God's Kingdom is near" but to maintain and grow it's coffers.

BTW I doubt the GB has any real power, only the perception that the legal department allows.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

The burden will still remain on JWs. They still have to prepare for the service meeting and the BS, but now they will likely put it off until the night before. Wednesdays are going to suck for the average JW - preparing for two meetings. Also, they need to put some extra weight into their bookbags for the Thurs meeting.

The average JW will get an extra 2 hours a week. I could see them eventually moving this mega-meeting to a Wednesday. JWs have four days in a row to do whatever they want, and they will get lazy. Too much freedom = not wanting to attend meetings.

But they could never eliminate the book study entirely. That's how the WTS sells new books. Worldly people don't want that trash, but the 6 million JWs will gladly take them and pay for them.

I'm wondering how much more the WTS can cut, cram, and penny pinch?

• footstepfollower
    footstepfollower

YKNOT

Excellent post. I agreee with that train of thought. Build for the future. Keep the masses hooked on. Model after the mormons. All the changes are going that way just look you can even vote now!

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

YES!......un-do the crap Knorr started.......3 meetings a week plus field service....family study....and personal study......give me a break!...the families are falling apart.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Here's my latest two speculations

1. They are trying to help the members save on gas. One less trip and they should
    be able to put 5 more dollars into the contribution box out of relief.

2. They are losing money on books and want to cover less material over time.

Now imagine that- losing money by doing what a printing company does- printing.

Okay, I will add a third.

3. It's just a smoke screen while they steal the money.

• free2think
    free2think

over here the foreign language congregations amalgamate their meetings anyway - usually on a saturday or sunday because of a lack of KH's and also because they have to travel long distances. So this new move will help them a lot - as they will only have to travel out once a week for their meetings once the group meeting has been done away with. They also have a shortage of elders and MS'.

• jambon1
    jambon1

Can anyone even begin to imagine the one-upmanship that will be going on in relation to who uses the Tuesday night/book study night, for spiritual use? "Look at me! I'm having a ministry group on a Tuesday!" "Well, it is a blessing to be able to use the time for other spiritual activities". God, the mind boggles.

• bavman
    bavman
    just look you can even vote now!

I don't think that's true.

• blondie
    blondie

I think the voting "allowing" is only in countries where it is required by law or highly emotional. In the US it is still voluntary.

*** w99 11/1 p. 29 Questions From Readers ***

In view of the Scriptural principles outlined above, in many lands Jehovah’s Witnesses make a personal decision not to vote in political elections, and their freedom to make that decision is supported by the law of the land. What, though, if the law requires citizens to vote? In such a case, each Witness is responsible to make a conscientious, Bible-based decision about how to handle the situation. If someone decides to go to the polling booth, that is his decision. What he does in the polling booth is between him and his Creator.
    The November 15, 1950, issue of TheWatchtower, on pages 445 and 446, said: "Where Caesar makes it compulsory for citizens to vote . . . [Witnesses] can go to the polls and enter the voting booths. It is here that they are called upon to mark the ballot or write in what they stand for. The voters do what they will with their ballots. So here in the presence of God is where his witnesses must act in harmony with his commandments and in accordance with their faith. It is not our responsibility to instruct them what to do with the ballot."

What of a country where voting is not mandated by law but feelings run high against those who do not go to the voting booth—perhaps they are exposed to physical danger? Or what if individuals, while not legally obliged to vote, are severely penalized in some way if they do not go to the polling booth? In these and similar situations, a Christian has to make his own decision. "Each one will carry his own load."—Galatians 6:5.

There may be people who are stumbled when they observe that during an election in their country, some Witnesses of Jehovah go to the polling booth and others do not. They may say, ‘Jehovah’s Witnesses are not consistent.’ People should recognize, though, that in matters of individual conscience such as this, each Christian has to make his own decision before Jehovah God.—Romans 14:12.

• bavman
    bavman
    think the voting "allowing" is only in countries where it is required by law or highly emotional. In the US it is still voluntary.

A C.O. a few years ago mentioned many misunderstood that KM here in the states.

I see that KM as basically a compromise for 'brothers' in countries where the laws are tough on voting. 'Sure, you can vote, if you have a gun to your head, (as long as you vote for Jesus)'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit