What Was The Silliest "Offense" That You Were Counseled For?

by minimus 157 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

my god !!! and most of us accepted the council - gods' teeth!

1. for laughing too loud !! I raised my voice so that everyone could hear me about the absurdity of counciling me about that.

2. for telling my so called friend that she shouldn't be dating 2 guys and thinking of a third as it wasn't fair to them - apparently I wasn't showing her christian love (she wasn't councilled tho!)

3. I had long thick hair and had it curled, counciled that it looked too wild and might get brothers thinking this or that about me.

• berylblue
    berylblue

my god !!! and most of us accepted the council - gods' teeth! ------------ I didn't. My daughter kept dressing the way she wanted and the elder who told ME I was unfriendly and had a bad attitude (In actuality I had just given up on that congregation - my first congregation was a lot nicer and I have to state that I feel it's because the people were poor - no disrespect to your wife, Mini - I just don't think it's right to go out in service with a gazzillion diamond rings) - I asked him to leave my house and please not to come back.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Minimus sounds a lot like my uncle and his wife sounds just like my aunt! She'd wear diamonds on all ten fingers at the hall, and I'm not talking about the little kind, either. She would wear real fur coats to the hall, too, and big wigs. It just didn't fit into the dress of the occasion. Nevertheless, I loved to see her all dressed up like that:) She was showing herself to be unique while all the rest were sheeple. She was an individual, and I liked that.

• blondie
    blondie

I remember being told by a sister that she hated me because I was "too perfect" and her husband was always using me as an example for her. Now you would think the problem was with her husband and she should have "hated" him.

The "brothers" were afraid or reluctant to say anything to me when I was single because I always turned the Bible around on them and they walked away wondering how they ended up being the bad guy. When I was married they did hassle my husband to "reel me in" but he just used the Bible too to put them in their place. Just recently, I indirectly helped a jw combat the interference of the elders in her life. Worked pretty good. Of course, when some elders are wrong, you are wrong to point it out to them...Pharisees.

Blondie

• cognac
    cognac

1. I was sitting in the front row and I let a little girl I was watching read the My Book of Bible Stories. The elder on stage was talking on stage about things that are appropriate and not appropriate for kids to do. Then he says right in front of the whole cong. that it wasn't appropriate for her to be reading that during the meeting.

I started crying because everyone knew I was watching her. My husband said something to him at the meeting and he had to apologize to me...

2. I was told I was doing "independent studing" because I was reading the bible and not studing for the meetings...

• minimus
    minimus

I heard a lot of stupid undeserved counsel from School Overseers, mostly about opinions and tastes or styles that differed from another. Individuality for a good JW is a no-no. I know some who just HAD to say something negative just because a person never got a W on any point of counsel.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Straight after the public talk the elder who gave it came up to me and asked me why I was staring at him so much and if I had a problem with what he was saying. I was speechless.

• scotsman
    scotsman

I got counselled for using the word "smorgasbord" in a talk. I can't recall what it was referring to and to be fair, me and my friend did try to incorporate words that made us laugh, or song lyrics - usually The Smiths. And yes, sideburns and hair length cropped up periodically.

• minimus
    minimus

Some elders went on the war path if they saw that certain persons regularly went in field service together. They'd try to break up the grouping because they looked at it as a clique!

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    me and my friend did try to incorporate words that made us laugh, or song lyrics - usually The Smiths

So then when the elder counselled you for using lyrics to Smith songs you immediately replied:

"You shut your mouth, How can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved Just like everybody else does."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit