What Was The Silliest "Offense" That You Were Counseled For?

by minimus 157 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The Bethel stories are great. EVERYTHING there is a rule and I'm sure it's easy to break them. Funny thing is most Bethelites I know were like little mischievous boys trying to not get caught doing something naughty.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

For wearing a skirt that was too long. WTF!!!

I reacted maturely by attending the next meeting, when I coincidentally had a talk to give, by wearing a much shorter one, which I made even shorter by folding it at the waist.

I also got counselled for wearing shoes inappropriate to my age - black stilletoes when I was 14. So I responded by going out on the ministry barefoot.

Its lovely how different JW's view of counselling (ie say something negative and disparaging to make your "brother" feel crappy and unworthy) and the rest of the world's is (ie make you feel better about actually being quite a crappy person).

No wonder I am confused.

• minimus
    minimus

Crumpet, you were a rebel!

I love hearing no class elders tell people how they should dress or groom themselves.

Out of curiousity, what's their take on shaved bald heads?

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I was once counselled for worldly dress. I asked what was wrong with it, (could they be a little more specific?) and they got embarassed and backed off.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Out of curiousity, what's their take on shaved bald heads?

apparently its alright if you are starting to go grey

• Vinny
    Vinny

No kidding here. During the C.O's visit Before I was appointed as an elder, I was told by one of the "IN IT FOR THE POSITION ONLY" Elders, that whenever my family showed up to JW gatherings we did not bring enough food. No Joking, that's what he said.

We never missed meetings, all of my family commented at each meeting, nobody ever in trouble, went out in service TWICE A WEEK, (more than any other elder on the body), we all fulfilled our Theocratic Ministry School parts, arrived early, stayed late, had bookstudies in our house, always did the K-Hall cleaning, outside maintenance assignments, assembly and drama parts and more.

But Vinny would not be appointed this time because his family did not BRING ENOUGH FOOD when they showed up at local gatherings.

My wife and I were blown away to even hear it.

Then, on the CO's last Sunday meeting visit, after his talks, just when I was about to lay that SORRY-A$$ NEWS on him, he beats me to the punch and tells me the very same thing is what the brothers told him as to why I was not appointed that visit. He just shook his head but said I needed to follow the body's direction.

At that point though, the carrot was so close (eldership) I could just taste it. Sooo, I just made sure we brought loads of food each and every time we showed up. Sodas, baked dishes of food, doughnuts and more junk.

I was appointed the next visit.

• startingover
    startingover

I was once told I needed to polish my shoes. This coming from an elder who wore socks so old and worn out they bunched up by his ankle and wore sports coats that made you wonder if there was a cold horse out there somewhere.

• Layla33
    Layla33

For noticing a wordly boy on a trip the farm. Mind you "he" noticed me and said hello at a bus stop, but I was counseled.

For reading too many "worldy books". For taking college level courses in high school. For taking the SATs.

I could go on, but why? LOL

• minimus
    minimus

I knew a British elder who came to the states and was constantly counseled for wearing loud ties.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

My wife and I were receiving counsel on our time out in service. I thought it odd that the avg hours per month was lower than any month in the total. When I pointed it out, the elder responded that he had already totaled it and came up with the avg on a calculator. I again pointed out that an avg number is never the lowest number. After figuring out that he took 5 months of figures and divided it up by 6 I then stated, "so our avg is actually higher than the national avg right?" Well he couldn't be wrong and we left with the council to get our hours up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit