Remember when assemblies were fun?

by Aphrodite 107 Replies latest jw friends

• Aphrodite
    Aphrodite

I just remembered when I was a kid and we would go to the assembly, it was fun because we got to buy new clothes and put extra effort into looking good. When we would get there you could save your seats and even save some for your friends, then go off looking for them.

I used to love our circuit assembly because of the food. It was at the assembly hall and there was a big kitchen, some of my favourite brothers worked in that kitchen, sometimes I was allowed to go in and help. Lunch was often spaghetti bolognese or in the cafeteria section there were sit down seats and you got a 3 course meal with roast meat and vegetables, ice cream and apple pie for desert. YUM Through the back fence there was a playground and there was origionally a gate to go through to there. Eventually the playground was banned.

At our district convention you could get gelato and they would give you a big one with all different flavours, I used to love chocolate, coffee, hazelnut and lemon all in one cone.

Once they stopped food prep at assemmblies, all of the fun went out of them, they became dry like cardboard. Everything fun was frowned upon.

• Gopher
    Gopher

At the assemblies in central Minnesota (not here in the Twin Cities), they would serve banana splits for dessert. Complete with whipped cream!

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I liked assemblies and conventions when I was a kid. At the assemblies, ice cream was always served at lunchtime. And they had a a little mini orchestra to play the music for the songs. During the last 15 minutes of lunch the musicians always played music until it was time to start. I'd sit on the 1st step of the platform and watch them play. I was really dissapointed when they fired all the musicians and switched over to cd's. As a teenager, I liked to vonlunteer at the conventions making and serving lunch. It gave me something to do during the day besides walking around aimlessly. Plus I got to meet alot of people. Once they got rid of the food and live music, assemblies and conventions became a huge bore. I feel sorry for all the kids that have to sit and listen to lectures all day with nothing to look forward too.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Taking the food away changed the dynamics of the assembly. Food service was where brothers and sisters could socialize. The ability to socialize was especially important to young people.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I was a kid back in th 50's in Cleveland they used to have the assemblies at some interesting places that are now torn down, Like the Masonic temple which was an interesting fun place for a 8 year old.

• XOCO
    XOCO

Awww man i never been to JW Assembly Awards where they served food unless u were doing the cleaning b4 the day of the assembly (i never had the privilage in sharing that). the only where i had fun was running around the assembly hall and look 4 some ppl who i might recognize from my circuit. but during those 2 days assemblies all the kids would go to the pool at the hotel and play 'baptism' LOL

XOCO

• MsMcDucket
  • worf
    worf

I do remember those days. Back in the 1960's at Yankee Stadium we had tents outside of the stadium where all kinds of hot food was cooked right on the spot. Scrambled eggs, bacon, Mashed potatoes, meatloaf, hamburgers, hot dogs, rice, vegetables, chicken, meatballs etc. Breakfast lunch and dinner menu's.

The 3-day circuit assemblies here in Queens at the Bliss assembly hall had those homemade ham and cheese sandwiches and the homemade pies and since the program lasted into the night, we had a breakfast, lunch and a dinner menu for Saturday and Sunday. Friday was only an evening program.

Worf

I don't ever remember assemblies being fun. Ever. I remember them being incredibly torturous, and the worst part of the year for me as a kid. I hated every assembly I ever attended and was always happy when they were over.

• Connaughty
    Connaughty

They were the best hamburgers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit