Remember when assemblies were fun?

by Aphrodite 107 Replies latest jw friends

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Yea... the work part was the "fun" The society didnt know that all the prep and operations work was really the back-bone of the organization they are trying to build. That work taught so many people much more than a "symposium" ever will.

Sense of purpose, comradere, seeing the plan work... people pay big money for the "team-building" stuff we learned for free. When they took away the "job" and forced us into the seats for the 3-day bitch session it cut the heart out of their "team".

~Hill

• KICKED OUT
    KICKED OUT

Worf.....You used to go to the Queens Ass. Hall ? They used to have that Ice cream section that was the Sh@#t. How bout walkin over to the White castle or Wendys, that was the ultimate JW freedom.

How about the danishes, I would eat as many of those as I could get.

Yankee stadium was great caus I got on the field.

Dramas were fun because if they were not good you could nap alittle(dim lights)

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Sorry but I don't ever remember them being fun Boring, yes! Hot, yes! Long, yes! Hard seats, yes! FUN, NOPE.

nj

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Yankee Stadium was fun, just because of the history of the place. (The old Yankee Stadium, before the renovation). I used to love to wander around the places that weren't roped off. I also enjoyed going to the Monroe Assembly Hall in Upstate NY, only because it was out in the country and the surroundings were very nice.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw
    I also enjoyed going to the Monroe Assembly Hall in Upstate NY,

Hey ElKabong - this is where we used to go and Yankee Stadium of course. Still I never found assemblies to be fun, I hated everything about JWdumb and still do.

We may know each other or know of each other, it's a small, small world!

nj

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I've heard the assemblies that preceded the ones I grew up with were marathons of agony, lasting several long days of the most boring catatonic drivel ever espoused. I remember having to wear my vest and tie along with my jacket in the bleachers dieing of heat prostration. As the years progressed I started to take leaves of absence during the sessions and liked it too much till one day, I just never went again.

I was always in amazement, that when someone on the podium would say something like " Isn't the Watchtower, the greatest magazine in the world? The whole stadium, and not one hand, would not be clapping. No dissention at all! Total agreement on everything including substandard accomodation. By the end of the day, your whole soul was screaming to get the hell out of there. The watchtower always had to overdue their brainwashing. It was the most important thing of all. Some fools were actually taking notes. They always hyped the big drama.

This had to be the poorest quality lip synching, stage set, phoney rubbish I have ever had the displeasure of laying my weary eyes upon. Anyone involved in it were like effin rock stars. In the real world, they wouldn't last a day in a high school production of The Three Little pigs. I hated every stinkin minute of it, and actually bought my first pack of smokes at a convention. There were no girlfreinds. Not in my world. The elders and my father would have none of it. Well now look what ya got fools!

• Descender
    Descender

The boring talks were never fun, the sitting for hours on end was never fun. But back in the day getting together with your buddies every day was fun. Getting there a little early and eating the breakfast danishes with your friends and checking the girls out was fun. When I was old enough, actually sitting with a big group of my friends and passing notes around during the sessions was fun. After the sessions were over, it was fun to go explore the city we got to go to the assemblies at.

We would all head to a nice restaurant, walk around the town afterwards and see if we could find something interesting like a street party, in Oklahoma City we saw the Spin Doctors playing one night. In Kansas City we went to a Stone Temple Pilots concert after an assembly one night. Another night after an assembly we went to see Speed at the movie theater and afterwards did 360's in the parking lot and had fun being chased around my mall cops.

One of the guys in the group I hung out with was good looking and had no trouble drawing the girls in. We'd always, usually through him, meet a lot of girls at the assemblies. We met girls that lived in the areas and several times we ended up going over to one of their houses for a party after the assembly. One time skinny dipping and hot tubs were involved. One night (the first assembly day) I actually met a very attractive girl at the assembly that happened to be staying with her sister's family in the same hotel we were staying and we ended up hanging out every night after the assembly back in my room making out.

So I'm going to have to say, yeah, I rememer a lot of really good times going to the assemblies.

• littleblueuk
    littleblueuk

Assemblies were NEVER fun for me. I hated the food. The Shasta sodas and stale danishes. And the smell. Everyone smelled because it was like 100 degrees and all the shady spots were grabbed at 4:00 a.m. Back when I was real young, they were from Wednesday to Sunday, then Thursday through Sunday and now it's just weekends, I think. My mother grew up in the 50s and went from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. for seven days. I don't think I could have survived that.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

At the time I guess I thought they were fun. They taught us how to endure torture.

Hot sun beating down on us..we shouldn't complain..

Bathroom lines out the kazoo...we shouldn't complain.

Taking the sit down dinners away because some lurked too long at the tables..we shouldn't complain.

And finally the food poisoning that my whole family had to endure the day we returned home from the assembly.... we shouldn't complain..

And funny about this being posted today, just last night I was remembering how sick my son and I got when we got home from a book study one night. It was in Feb. that's what reminded me. I , being the faithful witness I was, started taking my son to meetings as soon as I got back on my feet from childbirth. He was only a few weeks old. It was a cold winter and by this time he was 2 1/2 months old..well we caught a flu that I will nevr forget. We both started running a very high fever and had a bad cold.It hit us hard and fast. I guess someone decided they MUST go to the meetings and spread their germs..so we caught it.BUT..we shouldn't complain..

Yep..those were the "Good old days"..not!

Snoozy..

And don't forget the doubling up in the motel rooms to save money. We had two families with 6 kids in one room. Towards the end we were starting to growl at one another......we shouldn't complain.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Jesus, Descender! If I ever had that kinda fun, I'd still be going to assemblies today. Sounds more like you were all on a world tour of descension. I don't blame you.

Everyone I ever knew, acted piously. You couldn't break a twig in the forest, and get away with it. Of course, they were no better than anyone else. I wonder how some could listen to endless hours of spiritual instruction and do the opposite. If that wasn't enough, then the bothers would ask you to go on feild service on Saturday.

Heck, I can't blame anyone that didn't go though. After all, if I woke up on a Saturday after having a good screw with some unknown witness girl, and was nursing a hangover, I wouldn't go either. There just wasn't one little prick, that would ever cut me any slack. Now they have to deal with the devil.

If I brought up stuff, like the real goings on at assemblies, I would never be beleived and would be blacklisted.

If I did the things other kids did. I would not only be beleived, but punished to the full extent of theocratic witness law. ( If beheading were only possible) I despise elders for this, while protecting there own delinquent misfits and acting like insufferable, riteous hippocrates. My parents took all my power away, and assisted the elders wherever they could, to make sure it remained that way.

There's those that have a relatively nice existance of being an aloof witness, and those that suffer endless blows from fanatical egotists that are deluded in reality. I am a poster boy for the latter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit