Remember when assemblies were fun?

by Aphrodite 107 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman

Taking the food away changed the dynamics of the assembly. Food service was where brothers and sisters could socialize. The ability to socialize was especially important to young people.

About that time, a CO told our congo that this is "not a social organization, it's a preaching organization." That shows you the mindset that changed the dynamics of assembies without giving a single thought to the negative impact it would have on the rank and file.

As I look back on my dub years, I see now this was the beginning of the end. I think the dub experience was fairly positive for me for a long time precisely because I was very involved in assemblies (in news service for a few years, then in food service and administration for many more). It meant that I spent many, many hours behind the scenes being "busy" with duties that kept me out of a seat in the main auditorium. As a result, I did not have the same experience many dubs did (although in those days there were a lot of "volunteers."). After the "simplified" (did away with) food service, I can remember the first assembly where I had to take a seat and sit there for days. It was insufferable. I wondered what had happened to the "quality" of the program; but it was just that I hadn't sat through them for years!

Sometimes I think if they had eliminated all the "fun" from the assemblies a decade or so earlier, I might not have stayed there as long as I did. Despite my many misgivings from Day One, the camaraderie and sense of purpose made it all seem like a genuine brotherhood. That's largely absent now. In my view, this was one of the WTS' greatest follies, the end of the JW organization as we knew it.

• JK666
    JK666

THEY WERE GREAT!

Okay, now I feel guilty.

I feel like we ruined life for everybody that followed my generation's reign of terror.

I feel that the "warnings" in the KM are a direct result of the partying that I did as a young lad.

We caroused at assemblies and conventions. We would drag race from hotel to hotel after sessions. We would drink in states that the drinking age was lower than our home state, and get ripped. We would have parties in hotel rooms where the booze was flowing, and have parties around the pool.

I do not miss the sessions, but I do miss those days!

My apologies to the following generations.

WOOHOO

JK

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Glad to see, all that spiritual instruction was touching the inner core of your being JK. Just kiddin. I'd hate to see what you'd have done if you didn't get all that spiritual food. WWIII maybe.

I know this shit was goin on all the time, but I was always looking through the glass window with a pressed nose. They bound up loads which I was unable to bear. I'm still seething on account of it. To this day I could tell my folks of horrific things witness kids I knew did, and it would be met with a yawn. They would say something like " Wer'e not talking about them, wer'e talking about you". or, " your'e a fanatic" or, " If its that bad in Jehovah's org. just imagine how bad it is in Christendom." It was hopeless and enfuriating, an awful way to grow up! .... and it still is. For what? Just plain effin stupid!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

JK666, we never had that kind of fun. Wow.

• JK666
    JK666

Ty & FHN,

Ah jes coudn heps myseff! (the 666 is not just a moniker)

JK

• JK666
    JK666

Holt, MI. Party on, Garth!

JK

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Ty & FHN,

Ah jes coudn heps myseff! (the 666 is not just a moniker)

JK

I'd have been the overly concerned little dub who urged you all to go to the elders for help.

• Low-Key Lysmith
  • maxwell
    maxwell

They were fun sometimes to me as well.

Yes, the food. I actually liked it. I remember Hoagies, ham sandwiches and roast beef. I have a faint memory of some hot sandwich before they got rid of that. I remember the danishes and the breakfast muffin sandwich. And chips and Shasta colas. And the food tickets. I did find that to be a strange extra step.

I used to like sitting up high in the coliseum's where the DC were held if my mother would allow it.

I actually enjoyed the dramas. I remember one "sister" bursting into incontrollable laughter during one drama when they "actors" were pretending to be on the Ark during the flood. And it was pretty funny now thinking back to seeing them sitting there rocking back and forth together. And the animated hand gestures whenever their character was supposed to be talking is a funny memory too.

I was not as wild or fun as some of you, but as a teenager, I did enjoy prowling the corridors with my cousins between sessions, talking to acquaintances from other congregations and looking at girls. One of my cousins was smooth enough to talk to a few and get phone numbers, but I never really talked to any because of my shyness. Can't blame the JW totally for my social awkwardness.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

One of my first DAs was in San Francisco at Candlestick. It was hideous. The seats we saved were taken over by a militant group that piled our things on the steps below them. Elderly brothers and sisters were falling down from heat exhaustion right and left. I watched a heat stroke victim taken off on a stretcher to an ambulance. The only people that seemed to care about what was going on were a couple nurses volunteering at a First Aid station. Everyone else was trapped in this "aren't we so lucky to be God's people" trance.

It was one of the most single depressing, unpleasant experiences of my childhood, and I've had a few of those.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit