Remember when assemblies were fun?

by Aphrodite 107 Replies latest jw friends

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

In my opinion, the randomness and casuality of assemblies was not so random at all. It was more contolled than you think. Anyone with half a brain knew what was going on. All the young folks hung out in their little clicks and looked for dates or fun, after the mind numbing, all day lectures. You'd have to be blind not to have seen it. Or just turn your head as the elders do, and convince yourself that your son or daughter is a good Jw and find the guy who's really bad and a corrupting influence. It will attract limelight, noteriety, and finger pointing. Just what you want, when your horny teenage daughter or son is going to get themselves in trouble.

Always remember elders. When your confronted with the facts. Take a deep breath, suck in your Aura, put on your best face, and point the finger at the scapegoat you have chosen to make an example of. Now thats Fun!

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Hey Tyrone, you're killing our assembly buzz!

Just kidding. I'm sorry it wasn't fun for you. There were lots of horrible times too, for most of us I think, still it's fun to laugh at the few outrageous and fun times we did have. I actually think many JW kid (elder's kids especially) were much worse than any "worldly kids". They were actually putting signs on some restaurant/bars and dinner/dance clubs in Vancouver, that were frequented by JW kids, saying JW's not welcome. They would always rack up a huge alcohol tab. Those of age would order drinks for underage kids, short the bill, get into brawls, etc. Police would often be called. Police would be called to house parties too by the neighbours.

It wasn't just that generation either. It seemed to happen with every new bunch of teenagers every decade or so. Personally, I believe it's because of all the rules and repression for 15 years or so, no fun, no outlet of sports and games and holidays to have fun like other kids. It all gets pent up and JW kids just explode somewhere between the ages of 16 and 20 and go absolutely nuts! Ones whose parents kept a very strict watch when they were teens will often go through this later in their early 20's. They used to give that analogy of letting a spring go slowly and gently but the reality I saw was that the WTBTS and parents actually do the opposite and clamp the spring down tighter and tighter as kids get older because they get more afraid of losing them to the world. So when the parents can hold the spring no longer, JW kids actually end up bouncing off the walls in every direction, totally out of control, no matter what age they are when they are let loose. All that repression just doesn't work. Kids need healthy outlets for expression.

Well that's my two bit analysis of the situation. My son has not been a JW since about 15 and he has not done half the bad stuff I did when I was a teen JW.

Cog

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Thanks Cog. I wrote out a very long reply and deleted the whole thing. I find myself getting caught up in defending my position and its not about me. I just wanted to point out that some have a left out feeling in these threads because they have had their crowd dynamics altered by the goon squad. I'll save the rest for another thread. You make some good points about the younger kids too. Don't get me wrong I like to have fun too.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

No need to defend your experience Tyrone. It was what it was and it is just as valid as everyone else's. We were mean to some kids who we thought were goody two shoes or "geeky". Not nice. Teens can be very cruel to each other, no doubts. Life does have a way of evening the playing field though. I don't think anybody escapes suffering in the end, no matter how great they may seem to have it on the outside. Check out the thread about the perfect elder's and families who were full of abuse and suicide, etc. Looks can be deceiving.

Cog

• ssrriotsquad
    ssrriotsquad

There was a teenage brother in the congregation that I grew up in whose father was an elder. At the next meeting at the KH after the DC, he told us that he got grounded for 6 weeks when a sister that he met and given his phone number to at the DC, rang him at his home later that night. His father answered the phone and enquired who was calling, and she said who she was, and he gave his sin the phone and told his son to tell her not to ring this number again.

So I and a few friends went around to his place at the weekends for the six weeks to keep him company. When his dad opened the door and enquired why we were there, we said he had come to see him. We explained even though he was not allowed to go to friends place for six weeks, it did not prevent us as his friends come to visit him. He then asked what would you say if he I said that he cannot have any friends over. We said we are then seeing his brother (who was a year or so younger). We had him cornered both ways.

Even though he was harsh with his punishment about the grounding, he did allow us to see him for the six weeks as he did not stipulate that we are not allowed to visit. Next time he gave out his punishment to any of his kids, he did give explicit rules for their punishment. Even though he was strict, he was also fair in his disclipline.

• 5go
    5go

Honestly they are more fun now that I can see through the fog of buzzwords and false logic. It's almost like a cynical comedy sketch.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Thanks Cog! I'll do that. I think you are right. The older I get the more I see the way some peoples karma has gotten them. It is not only poetic justice, but you'd almost have to swear, it was meant to be.

I agree, no one escapes pain, and I have seen many die, the way they live. Thats another topic though. A good one. All is not what it seems

• worf
    worf

KICKED OUT,

Yes. I grew up going to the Queens Assembly Hall. And I do remember the days of walking to White Castle and Wendys.

Worf

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

They never were fun.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    I agree, no one escapes pain, and I have seen many die, the way they live. Thats another topic though. A good one. All is not what it seems

I was a big nerd. I loved the assemblies when a little kid, we had the big cooking kitchens and such and till mid teens I got to make the donuts. lol Dunking cake donuts in big vats of chocolate at early hours was a blast for a nerd like me. BUT on the flipside all of the fun things I did not do have killed off most of my childhood friends in later years. Seriously. It was and is hard on the few of us around.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit