What book are you reading right now?

by Wordly Andre 105 Replies latest jw friends

• eclipse
    eclipse

I haven't seen any of the movies. (am i the only one?) Sorcer's stone one had a surprise twist that I did not see coming....

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Yeah, I bet it was way cool reading it without having seen the movie. I wish I would have done it in that order. Still, I did enjoy it thoroughly. I really love JK Rowling's writing style. She uses sparse but effective description and very believable and engaging dialog. I loved it. So, are you going to see the movies?

• eclipse
    eclipse

Probably after I read the books...

• watson
    watson

Just completed my reading of "Then Is Finished The Mystery of God," then on to "Your Word is a Lamp to My Foot, and Light to My Roadway." So many fine publications to read and so little time!!

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

If the Buddha Married by Charlotte Kasl

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I'm reading S.M. Stirling's - The Lord Protector's War, its a post apocolyptic (with a twist) series set here in Oregon. This is the second book. It wasn't something I thought I'd be interested in but I had it very highly recommended so I tried it and got hooked.

I've also got a Tanya Huff and a Anne Bishop novel waiting in the wings, all Sci-Fantasy.

Hey Odrade, is 1602 a new one? I thought I had seen all of Gaiman's stuff, don't remember that one. I'm pretty sure I've read all of Pratchetts. Did anyone see HogFather on TV this holiday season? Very interesting, but as close as they followed the story line they totally missed the dry brit humor which makes him an AWESOME author.

Sherry

• Odrade
    Odrade

Dunno how new it is, the edition I have is 2007, but looks like the first volume was printed in 2003? It's the Marvel universe except 400 years earlier. Really good. Gaiman said he couldn't figure out how to put Ironman (and a few others) in the series using Elizabethan technology, but it has Peter Parker, Nick Fury, X-Men, Daredevil, the Fantastic Four, etc. Pretty good. They have it at Powells, but you might have to order it in from Beaverton.

Hadn't heard of the Stirling series. Sounds right up my alley. On the list. Thanks!

• Honesty
    Honesty

90 Minutes in Heaven

I doubt that it will be on the Watchtower's list of approved publications, though.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I'm reading The Golden Compass, Wordpress for Dummies, What's Wrong with California, and The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana (Umberto Eco). I swear that the only book Umberto Eco ever wrote that was worth reading was The Name of the Rose which I have read a couple of times.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I'm reading "Everywhere You Go, There You Are" by John Cabot Zinn and "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit