Lies on Line...I always thought JWD was a forum for Honesty

by restrangled 154 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2
    We are all individuals and there will always be some who don't tell the truth. That is why it is good to be wary.

Good common sense. It stops us from being too taken by surprise when we find out that some people don't tell the truth. It's not that we don't value the truth - just that we are realistic that people often differ in what they value.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Now I see what you mean restrangled. I agree. I ve been disappointed too at some info that has been posted.

• *summer*
    *summer*
    To lie on this forum to all of these members is horrible and I am questioning why I am so honest here.

Unfortunately, this is the internet. For some, it is only too easy and tempting to lie while cowardly hiding behind an avatar.

But if only one thing...please, never question your own honesty.

Remain your honest self. Remain YOU.

*summer*

• JH
    JH

Some people lie, some don't, and some exaggerate a little.

alt

If the white part is the truth and the black part is a lie, where does the lie start?

• Gregor
    Gregor

I've just spent the last 15 minutes catching up on this thread. I started reading it because the title was very well worded by Restrangled. I knew why she chose to address it. A sub-theme ( AKA- a hijacked thread) of what a goof ball JG is (bless his little confused heart) and what a class act NVRGBK is. I don't need to add to that subject except to say - "JG! Get your head out of your ass!"

Back to the point ... If anyone who has any experience in internet chat expects that everyone is baring their sweet soul in all sincerety here they really need to do a reality check. If someone has invested their trust in a poster only to find out later that their trust may have been misplaced they should take it in their stride as a seasoned internet partaker. The current subject of suspicion,a fluent young man who also happens to be into turning himself into a sideshow freak - literally. It turns out he may or may not have mistated some details of his background. As for me, I'm going to sleep fine tonight. And by the way, is Linda still dead?

• Gringa
    Gringa

I have been here a short time and I have been on internet forums for years and I have to say this is a great forum.

Hey, there are people that love to stir pots, love to troll, that is the nature of forums.

But, overall, this is a well moderated (not overly or underly) forum and I enjoy differing points of view. there are a lot here.

There is a lot of activity here and hard to keep caught up. I have missed a lot, so I am no expert about this board, but wanted to give my .02 cents

• Gregor
    Gregor

Hope you stick around, Gringa. A breath of fresh air is always welcome... jump in anytime.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I'm not going to read all these posts again and again.

All I know is I would be personally offended if someone from here who had never met me, only chatted to me on here got involved in my life actively without my permission - no one has that right to invade anothers privacy...

Some people are honest to the nth - some aren't. It's life.

And I've never come across a forum that is always honest - some people ""say"" things to get ""x"" reaction that they are looking for, and so many people fall into that trap and give the ""x"" reaction and so it continues.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Just came across your thread - and time restrains keep me from reading all the pages, still I comment.

This place, though carrying with it a promise of similar background and understanding of the life within the religion, carries with it no promise that all persons here will act similar or with the same principles as others.

Jeff

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Honesty is very important to me, in fact, I find it hard to tolerate dishonesty, however, I guess my opinion is biased in that I have a brother who has ADHD, and for any of you who know anything about the disorder, they often lie, ALOT. Not because they are bad people, or want to decieve, but their need for attention, either positive or negative outweighs everything else. The therapist who my mother took my young brother to, way back then explained it that children have a need for attention this big......, but with children who suffer from ADHD the need is this big.............................................................................................................................................

My point is this, I have sympathy for those who do lie and seem to do it because they either need the attention or can't seem to deal with who they really are. Doesn't mean I like being lied to, doesn't make it right, but I really get it, I say my brother be his own worst enemy time and time again. Hurt himself thru his lies, destroy relationships, consider suicide over something he can't seem to control.

I choose to love him for who he is, faults and all. I guess that's why I stayed with my husband for so long, I saw alot of behavior similar to my brother's in him. However, living with it and accepting it aren't always the same thing. Online is just that, online. Just like in real life, people lie, its naive IMO to think some won't do it online. Especially those who unbeknownst to us, may have conditions that compell them to, unintentionally or intentionally. I find it harder to understand and tolerate with those of a certain age, who should have learned.

In Richie's case, he is a kid!! He has been stunted at a very young age, left to his own devices. If we can't show forgiven to someone who screws up as a child, and he is a child, no offense Richie...than we are NO better than the very organization we claim to loath. How do they deal with young people when they screw up? Or have behavioral, or emotional problems? No sympathy, no compassion.

It really surprizes me and disappoints me that people 20 or 30 years older than me, are jumping on the band wagon to say, I hate lies and liars (I am specifically referring to the Richie thing here). Who of us hasn't lied at some point, especially when young? Anyone who says, not me, IS A TOTAL LIAR! It's good it came out, hopefully he will learn from it and grow. But to cut off a kid already cut off in ways we can only understand is being a JW to me. Might as well go back to the KH and join in the weekly gossip ring. IMO

Lies suck, they hurt, we all get that. But its not like anyone is asking a single person here to lend their bankcard or give their housekeys to someone who has lied to them on a forum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit