I walked off the job today....

by Terry 103 Replies latest jw friends

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Well, my brain and body are telling me to get out of my own way and back off.

So, I better listen this time.

Sounds like burnout Terry. You're on the right track and recovery is just around the corner.

alt

• Terry
    Terry

I was just wondering if you can trace back to a particular incident when you were at the store that you first felt this anxiety come over you.

I'm curious if this was a stress related incident related to work at the store that triggered things or a personal problem perhaps with another employee.

In my family we just kept a stiff upper lip. That's problem one.

Secondly, we don't take medicine or visit doctors. I know that is stupid.

Third, I tend to overdo the employee goodguy obliging fellow thing. I don't make excuses. If I receive criticism I just take it and say "yes sir or yes ma'am."

I feel like I should be doing more with my life. I have abilities I'm not using and I'm not going to live long enough to achieve something if I don't start soon. That gnaws at me.

Because I take my son to school I don't get much sleep (have to get up early after working late at night.)

I eat fine.

My job has petty frustrations and it gets old. I've been there about 3 years.

I'm creative and the job simply ISN'T.

I took my divorce badly. I haven't moved on. I don't date. I'm alone.

I got my dream job offer from an old friend in California (where I want to be) and cannot take it because my kids live here.

I don't compose music or do art anymore. I just seem to have become tiny and insignificant.

I don't confide. I troop on.

Well, apparently that caught up with me. And suddenly.

So, I am now going in to a different mode and seeking help.

We'll see where this leads.

Thanks for the interest.

• Terry
    Terry
    I personally believe that we have the ability to resolve emotional problems within ourselves without jumping on to at times these unhealthy drugs.

I was reared by health fanatics who didn't believe in doctors or medicine!

I hate even to take aspirin.

But, I'm going to try and be open-minded about suggestions either way. It is hard to overcome built-in resistance to things I've grown up with.

Maybe it is time.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

I feel like I should be doing more with my life. I have abilities I'm not using and I'm not going to live long enough to achieve something if I don't start soon. That gnaws at me.

You've already achieved the most important accomplishment of all, you're a great dad.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I don't compose music or do art anymore. I just seem to have become tiny and insignificant.

Terry, I think maybe if you can, try to give yourself a little down time and if you can do things that are fun like the above. You are excellent at it and getting in touch with the creative side often helps when going through things like this.

I am sad to hear you are having such a time. I know it is hard. So hard. I also did not know this about your son. I have a son that has Tourettes. To my delight it got better in the teen years which is a really good thing, but it goes hand in hand with depression and Aspergers (sp) and I know you have had a road with all of that. That alone may be a reason for you to need some relaxation time. Also sorry to hear about the job. Things like that do come around again and your children will be so much better for you doing the right thing. Your a good man for that. You already know that I am sure. Just thought I would tell you again. Hang in there if you can.

• Terry
    Terry

A local friend called me on the phone this morning. We ended up meeting at the local schoolground. We played Bocce ball in the sun for three hours today and had a few laughs and lots of conversation.

Quentin gave me a call too seeing after me.

My eldest son and his wife took me to a movie last night and out to dinner and my daughter took me to Starbucks this morning.

I feel loved!

I'm special...and doggone it..people like me.

I feel better.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    I got my dream job offer from an old friend in California (where I want to be) and cannot take it because my kids live here.

I don't want to get into your personal business, but since you put this out there, I hope you won't be offended if I offer an opinion about the above statement. Can you take the job in California and still talk to your kids everyday and perhaps visit a few times a year? You're divorced. That separates you from your kids anyway on some level like it or not. You may be trying to be the super dad and that's just putting too much pressure on you. You can still be the super dad, but at a distance. Nowadays, with email, cell phones, frequent flyer miles, etc. you can still maintain a good solid relationship with children even though you may be 1000 miles away. Maybe you need to try it for awhile anyway. (Pray about it...ha, ha)

• startingover
    startingover

Terry,

Whatever is going on in your life, I hope you don't stop posting your thought provoking threads. I mean that sincerely.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Terry, from reading your posts you've always seemed to distance yourself from your emotions. That sounds like what's going on when you speak of your mind telling your body to do something but your body not listening.

I've always seen logic and reasoning as a type of intelligence in direct conflict with emotions and feelings, another type of intelligence. However, I think when we alienate one from the other, unexpected consequences eventually sneak up on us. Allowing our logical side to admit and allow that we have another side that is just as important is difficult, and often hard. I don't have any answers, and don't claim to--I'm just offering my observations. I wish you luck in whatever course you take.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Hi Terry, well I'm glad you had a better day today, there is something therapeutic about having some valuable time with family and friends

to overcome are day to day problems and we all have them including myself.

It does sound like from your last post that your not at all happy with your job and this could be the root of your problem

just about all of us have had jobs that were unfulling and boring etc. It might be a good idea to think about changing your job or at least keep it in mind.

The only thing that I wanted to warn you about mood enhancing drugs is they can be very addictive and at times health hazardous so be careful.

Another thing that you might want to do is get away from doing your normal routine such as work, home, neighborhood and spend a day in park

grab a nap sack and walk around for awhile, take in some nature, breath some country air, calm your mind

you can walk vigorously as form of exercise and blank out the world so that you are the only one in it .

Do this for a couple of days and I will guarantee you'll feel much better !

Just a little advise,.... take care

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit