As a JW were you ever counseled about clothes you wore, or lack thereof ?

by flipper 125 Replies latest jw friends

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    maybe because I was overly "blessed" in the female chest department they knew that saying anything would have meant being obvious about looking. My small rebellion was just letting the cleavage out to breath some days

Namaste .... I hear you sister! I had the very same idea ... been there, done that too!

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Don't these comments just make you think about modern day Pharisees?

Pharisees photo

Finally free--I loved your comment about telling the elder to counsel you from the Bible or not at all!

• loosie
    loosie

Ok now you 80's girls will actually remember tube skirts. Well I had a white one and it looked good and it was below my knees.

I was actually counselled by my then boyfriend. His dad was giving a talk at my hall. My boyfriend said please don't wear that white skirt my mom will be here. I told him his mom was just jealous that she didn't look that good in that skirt. He figured I would do what he asked because I was a good little girl. Well he just shook his head when I showed up on Sunday wearing my white skirt. I told him it was the only skirt I had that wasn't in the laundry....lmbo

Loosie (from the don't tell me what to wear on my butt class)

• ness
    ness

holy shit, tube skirts!! I remember those!!! bad ass!

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I remember tube skirts, they were so sexy, my mom would not let me wear them

• flipper
    flipper

Great responses all of you! Wow! I never realized how nit-picking an organization we were in till reading all your responses. Well, I digress maybe I did. Anyway, I forgot another one about me

My dad, as an elder in the 70's when a lot of us teenage guys had, " big " hair, used to ride my butt about my wavy black hair going over my ears and I was not setting the right example for other teenage brothers in the hall, being an elders son and such. In fact another elder had a son 13 who was a few years younger than me and he started imitating my style. ( See, I was a $h#t stiirrer even then!) So as much as my dad tried to convince me I should not insist on my rights, but had a duty to not stumble others, I kept showing him scriptures like in Romans where it says," Who are you to judge the house servant of another?". Like that got me anywhere! LOL. So I did the ultimate young witness thing, got married too young at 19, and looking back at pictures now of that wedding back in 1979, I look like a greasy mafia member in the spirit of Sylvester Stallone hair disheveled, over my ears, messy. Maybe my old man was right. Now I keep my hair trimmed neat. Looks better. Life is somethin' huh? Funny

• calico
    calico

I have a question! Several posters on this thread admitted that they wore either tight, low cut or high slit skirts at the meetings. Then were upset when they were counselled---accused sisters of being jealous---and asked why brothers were noticing. Well, isn't that the point of wearing revealing clothes? To make others notice you? So why complain about the attention?

It did annoy me when sisters dressed this way--my husband was looking and isn't that what you all wanted? Sure didn't make me feel too good.

• ness
    ness

well, I complained because the split in my skirt wasn't high. It was a long skirt and the split would have come up to the knee. Id like to be able to walk freely without shuffling a-la Morticia Adams.

• calico
    calico

bttt

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I have a question! Several posters on this thread admitted that they wore either tight, low cut or high slit skirts at the meetings. Then were upset when they were counselled---accused sisters of being jealous---and asked why brothers were noticing. Well, isn't that the point of wearing revealing clothes? To make others notice you? So why complain about the attention?

It did annoy me when sisters dressed this way--my husband was looking and isn't that what you all wanted? Sure didn't make me feel too good.

We dressed like that because it did something for us, women like to feel pretty, sexy desired, wer also enjoy being noticed, what women doesn't? What we (I speak for the other females on the forum) are complaining about is the societies rule on having women totally covered up. A high slit in a skirt does not mean that all will be visible, form fitting does not slutty, I would also like to point out to you that a short skirt by society standards is anything that shows yours knees anf calves. It's ok for men look, women crave attention, what we don't want are perverts staring at us so that they can go run and tell on us and complain how we are distracting them, men like your husband have the choice to look away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit