As a JW were you ever counseled about clothes you wore, or lack thereof ?

by flipper 125 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have been told that anything other than a solid white dress shirt (and a solid white doesn't allow texture patterns either) would not be acceptable. The majority of the "brothers" were wearing white dress shirts, and maybe 4 or 5 had different colors. However, they were singling me out because they wanted me to be the example (and yet they had the nerve to do whatever it took to keep me celibate).

They also mentioned that my shoes were scuffed at times (it takes time to polish them, which is "time that is for the misery". Not badly scuffed, but maybe a mark or two that was visible in daylight. My suit coat button had to be done up while doing a part in the Theocraptic Misery "School(??)". They wanted my collar button done at all times, no matter how hot it was or how muggy. And they told me that, if I was wearing just the shirt because it was too hot for the suit coat (which was locally allowed at the time), that I had to wear a T-shirt under it.

And they made a fuss about dry cleaning. They wanted my suits dry cleaned at the slightest hint of dirt. In summer, that was the sweat from being out in the heat of the day in service. In winter, it was salt. They "suggested" a schedule of one dry cleaning per 8-12 hours of wearing the suit, which was a burden because it costs the same for one dry cleaning as it did for one CD. And they were picky as to where I went--if I went where it was cheaper, they were not satisfied with the job they did. Of course, either way I could smell a hint of smoke on them (tobacco smoke) when they came out of the cleaners. So much for that deal.

• Threestars
    Threestars

In the early 70's I got told about wearing my ankle-length "hippie" skirts. Also my rimless granny-glasses were unnacceptable. So then, soon after, I wore a teeny weeny bikini to a JW pool-party, traumatizing the PO--a fossil with a Czech accent--I can almost remember his name. I remember my Mom laughing at me because I jumped out of the water, wrapped a towel around myself, and told her I was trying to hide my bikini from Brother "so-and-so".

• Angry_Kangaroo
    Angry_Kangaroo

When I was a teen, other moms in the congregation were not happy that I was wearing makeup, since they wouldn't allow their own daughters to wear it. Of course the other girls would bug their moms about how I was wearing it, so why couldn't they? So my own mom had to hear these comments. She didn't make me stop wearing it though.

• fokyc
    fokyc

I was instructed that 'Bow-Ties' were NOT allowed,

this was by an elder whose fleshly brother has his picture on the web at the dedication of a new KH,

wait for it, perhaps you've guessed

wearing a 'BOW-TIE' AND representing WTBTS HQ from New York!!!

fokyc

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Make up

Skirt length

Fish net hose

Heel height

Clothes to tight.

Not wearing panty hose.

Not wearing a slip.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I got counseled for wearing a pushup bra. I pretended like I didn't know what they were talking about.

lisa

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I got counseled for wearing a pushup bra. I pretended like I didn't know what they were talking about.

lisa

WTF! That is not their business! Shows what a bunch of pervs they are for looking at your chest and being able to notice the difference.

• iveseenthelight
    iveseenthelight
    Make up Skirt length Fish net hose Heel height Clothes to tight. Not wearing panty hose. Not wearing a slip.

Dragonlady - Ditto. I remember once I got counselled on wearing a sleeveless dress on the platform, before i walked up a sister tried to get me to put on her cardigan in from of teh whole Kh I just said no thanks. It was a hot summers day for god sakes...there just arms! not my fault if teh bros couldn't handle it.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

The one time that I can remember...

I went to an assembly, and was usually allowed to adjust the microphone for the speaker on the stage.

After I did one adjustment, the fella in charge (a nice fella - but he had been 'talked to' by someone else) told me that my hair was too long and he couldn't allow me to 'work' until I got it cut.

This was on a Saturday - and I wasn't aware of any barber shops open at that time...

Oh well. I was kinda mortified - and shrunk away into the crowd - with my 'long hair'.

I believe that was the last assembly that I ever attended.

By the way... my hair was a bit ragged - but not THAT long. I usually don't let it get too long.

Oh well.

Regards,

Jim TX

• winnie
    winnie

I remember a couple years back, a young brother in cong, his mum had recently died, but he still made the effort to go to the sat morning field service group. He wore pants that were slightly creased. My brother in law took it upon himself to take him aside, counsel him publicly about going out in field service with unironed pants on, then promptly took him home to iron his pants.

I used to get counselled all the time about the splits in my skirts/dresses. Never took any notice though. I figured they shouldn't have been looking anyway!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit