As a JW were you ever counseled about clothes you wore, or lack thereof ?

by flipper 125 Replies latest jw friends

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I am secure and I do like to feel sexy, it's human nature.

But, was the Kingdom Hall the place to feel sexy?

I am not sure what point you are trying to make here, it does not matter to JW's where you are dressed provocatively, part of the cults control extends beyond the walls of the kingdumb hall. Besides what one person may consider provacative attire may be not be to someone else so it's a matter of opinion.

• calico
    calico

I am talking about how you dress at the meetings--no where else. Weren't we suppose to be modest? How do women dress at other churches?

• calico
    calico

How about someone else answer my question?

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    I am talking about how you dress at the meetings--no where else. Weren't we suppose to be modest? How do women dress at other churches?

Calico, I did not choose to be in a cult, I was raised in it. As soon as I was able to make my own choices I moved on. What I wore to the kingdumb hall I would hardly say was provocative, however in a cult where a patriarcal society rules what I wore was considered provocative, I dressed the same way to work in a fortune 500 company and never had a word said to me. You can keep blaming others or accept reality. I trully feel sorry for you, I don't see how you will ever be happy with this attitude.

• educ8self
    educ8self

I'm not sure if there was another question before, but I'll answer the ones just above that last post. I think the key is the intention, what we're supposed to do or how we behave in certain social settings is really a very shallow way of looking at things. Doesn't the bible talk about the whole thing of looking at a woman with lust? Now that behavior in itself would also be just an example, the point is what's in your heart right? Now it's interesting that some people interpret more traditional religious morals as not doing harm sexually, rather than list a bunch of specific things. Going by behavior alone is very shallow, it's like the whole thing of just having pictures is supposed to lead to idolatry. If deep down you have that integrity, what happens on the outside won't really change anything.

• calico
    calico

If you were asked to change your style of dress at work--would you? Or would you quit your job to make a point?

• flipper
    flipper

DRAGONLADY and CALICO- Down girls ! Down Girls ! I know you guys are at odds here. But I think what I'm going to say is a valid point. Men, or alledged " brothers " in the alledged "christian " congregation have a responsibility to their wives to only look at their wives with lust. A man, even in the congregation , Calico, may see an attractive sister and in a courteous way even compliment her in a chaste way saying, " You look nice tonight ". And there would be nothing wrong with that. I knew elders who used to say that to sisters, meaning nothing by it, just being polite and nice! There is a huge difference with " brothers who stare, make lewd comments, or lust secretly over a woman about her dress ", because they are dwelling on it for an extended period of time , thus letting sexual feelings build up! Am I making any sense ? The first kind of guy is being chaste, the second isn't.

So I feel it is a responsibility of the man to be discreet. That being said, there is also a responsibility of a woman to dress nicely , but attractively, or fashionable, but not lurid so you can see all of her private areas. That being said , just because a little cleavage is showing does not make a woman indiscreet! God created men and women in all shapes and sizes , who are we to judge what a person wears? Some heavy people don't look good in tight clothes, just as some thin people don't look good in too loose of clothes. It's a personal choice. We should expect the members of the witness congregations to be able to figure that out. Jeez, Adam and Eve were naked for christ's sake, you did not see them feel guilty about it until they sinned. Look that up in your Bible. Here is a weird thought! What if the 1,000 year reign stuff was true and once people were brought back to perfection, what if God said, " You should not wear clothes anymore you all! You have nothing to cover up or be ashamed of, your'e all perfect now, I command everyone to go naked ! If you don't you'll be immediately destroyed! No ifs ands or butts. " Pardon the typo, but you get my point, the human body is nothing to be ashamed of. All religions on this planet make us ashamed we have a body, or that we even exist sometimes. Anyway, let's just try to understand one another, fair enough? Yes, I have an off-beat humor. One reason my wife married me. And no we don't go to nudist colonies! Now , I need to go to sleep! Peace out you guys, Mr. Flipper

• ness
    ness

*yawn*

lets be completely serious shall we. we were JWs in Kingdom Halls. even at our most provocative, just how salacious could we have looked, eh?

i rest my case.

• flipper
    flipper

NESS- That is a good take. I mean the elders certainly would have drawn the line somewhere on our being able to show too much skin. Hey, were all adults. Most of us know how to dress appropriately! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• wizardca
    wizardca

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't been preached to about my clothes. But I did many years ago got roped into a part at a cc and was reminded only white shirts were allowed. An uncle had a part and his hair went over the the collar a tad and was told no part unless he got it cut. I'm just wondering who would have covered it if my grandmother didn't have scissors to trim it with her. sheeesh, talk about anal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit