As a JW were you ever counseled about clothes you wore, or lack thereof ?

by flipper 125 Replies latest jw friends

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

In Monett, MO we built a new Hall. It was winter: snow, cold. I volunteered to help the folks out of their cars, along the sidewalk, and into the Hall. The sidewalk was not covered. I bought a brand new pair of Carhart insulated coveralls as I was volunteering to stand out in a windswept car port in single digit weather for a half hour.

The next meeting, I was counsled by the Elders that several were "stumbled" that I was not in a dress coat and slacks.

I should have just walked out of the Hall, then, and not looked back....

These people are just insane.....

V

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I was counseled for too long of sideburns. They grew to the bottom of my ear. Oh boohoo that makes me an apostate.

Actually the "reason" the brothers counseled me was that some of the parents were complaining that their kids wanted to do the same. I replied that the parents can blame their childrens unruly on any one else if they chose to do so but I'm not shaving them. It was the last straw in my dealings with the elders and I changed halls

• Jourles
    Jourles

I always dressed pretty well but there were still two pieces of clothing that brought a little heat on me more than once.

Back around 1991-92, I was in the El Cajon, CA Valley congo. My bookstudy was held in a home that didn't have air conditioning. So during the hotter summer months, I ditched the jacket and substituted a long sleeve dress shirt instead. To me, in my mind, I was dressed appropriately for the heat and the type of meeting(bk study in a home) and didn't think anything of it. Well, I was recently baptized and so the lone elder in our bk study group(does JD Johnst__ ring a bell to any SDiegans?) finally had another brother(me) to help out with prayer and reading. There was only one other bro in the group and he rarely attended. To my surprise, the first time I came dressed like this, JD opened with prayer AND read the paragraphs as well. I thought I was in deep doodoo for something seeing as my privileges were just stripped in front of me without explanation. I had no clue it was due to my "non-jacket" appearance. Afterwards, he told me that I had to wear a jacket to say prayer or read for the group. I did it like a good little jw for a little while. But there were times that I just forgot(I was probably thinking about the heat and sweating through the meeting) and would go back to the ol' trusty long-sleeve. I really didn't think anything of it.

A very similar experience also occurred when I lived in Breckenridge, CO. The bk study group for that area met at the wealthiest family's home -- the Knick_____'s. We had a few more bros in this group. Upon seeing that the people who went here actually made themselves at home, almost literally, I decided to try something out. No shoes were allowed in the house so everyone brought slippers from home. I kid you not, the bk study conductor's wife wore bunny slippers. You would think the Secretary of the hall, who also happened to be our bk study conductor, would be pretty lax in enforcing the dress code seeing that his wife wore bunny slippers every week. Apparently not. I tried wearing a cardigan sweater one night and noticed, quite conspicuously, that I was not asked to say prayer or read. The elder didn't say anything to me afterwards either. The next week I tried it again and the same thing happened. Only this time he told me afterwards that I needed a jacket. It finally clicked with me - I mean really clicked. You mean to tell me that I can avoid saying prayer or reading the paragraphs simply by not wearing a jacket? Sweet.

I can't remember how many times during the following years I intentionally left the jacket at home and wore a cardigan or a long-sleeve shirt instead. These were also my awakening years when I began reading H2O. The rebelliousness only increased from there.

So for you lurkers out there wondering how you can start fading, I say start with losing the jacket. Once the prayer and bk study or WT reading privs dry up, you're on your way. Meeting attendance closely follows.

• flipper
    flipper

WIZARD CA- Yeah, the elders used to give me hell over my hair going over my collar ( especially my elder father) when I was a teenager. They made you wear white shirts in your congregation ? You sure you weren't in the Mormon faith ?

VERNON WILLIAMS- Oh my God! Vernon that is an incredible story! No good deed goes unpunished, eh?! You were helping people, probably a number of elderly ones get out of their cars in snow and cold and elders counsel you for wearing overalls to stay warm ? Because some were stumbled ? They would have literally stumbled to the ground if you didn't help ! Maybe you should have gotten skis for everyone and let them ski from their cars to the front door of the kingdom hall. See how they would have handled that one ! Peace.

WHA HAPPENED- So weird. What difference does it make if a persons sideburns are 10 inches or 1 inch ? You should have paid for the complaining parents to get a Mohawk haircut, both the husband and wife. Then see what they say about your sideburns !

JOURLES- Great story Jourles. Let that be a lesson for anyone who wants to fade. Just don't wear a meeting coat, and they won't use you for prayer or reading paragraphs. I stopped wearing coats during meetings also near the end, because they were uncomfortable. I just got to the point I didn't care what anybody thought. Shows you how petty the witnesses can be Thanks for all your comments.

• marmot
    marmot

I never got counseled about clothing (except for not bothering with the jacket anymore, but nobody really cared about that) but I DID get a talking-down to after I shaved my head.

Said I looked like a skinhead and shouldn't go out in service like that or give parts on the platform. In retrospect, I should have done that more often.

• flipper
    flipper

MARMOT- I know what you mean. I mean for some men who are balding as they get older, I have heard some like to shave their heads as it makes them look better than they feel they would. I've heard women state they like a man with a shaved head, so what's the big deal in the congregation? Weird rituals they put on us

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit