As a JW were you ever counseled about clothes you wore, or lack thereof ?

by flipper 125 Replies latest jw friends

• ness
    ness

i was reprimanded for wearing spaghetti straps, oh, and apparently the split in one of my skirts was too high *insert eye roll here*

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I hated panty hose! When I was 16 I decided I would not wear them anymore (it was summertime), my parents didn't say anything, but the elders told my dad that it was inappropriate for a young sister to not wear pantyhose. Who the hell wears panty hose with sandals?

nj

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I hated panty hose! When I was 16 I decided I would not wear them anymore (it was summertime), my parents didn't say anything, but the elders told my dad that it was inappropriate for a young sister to not wear pantyhose. Who the hell wears panty hose with sandals?

nj

Me too! Pantyhose are useless in hot and humid Florida. I asked why woman had to wear pantyhose and I was told that it was to make the legs darker and to cover up the legs, I was like first of all I am natrually tan and second pantyhose are sheer so you aren't really covering up your legs and finally I don't like them and I won't wear them, my parents gave in on that fight.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Damn double post!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yes I was. They have serious issues about women and modesty. The problem I had is that I felt I was singled out because of how I was shaped. Dumpy elders wives didn't have this problem.

LHG

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I was counselled for:

1. Bright ties.
    2. Prescription glasses that were tinted.
    3. A moustache.
    4. Black boots.
    5. Leather jacket.
    6. T shirts.

And about a thousand other stupid reasons.

The more the elders counselled me for something idiotic, the more I did it. When they counselled me for wearing a bright tie, I went out and bought an ugly flourescent one, just to piss them off even more. When they counselled me for having a moustache, I stopped trimming it and let it get really bushy. Naturally, the elders were too stupid to see the connection between their unscriptural counsel and my "rebellious attitude". I eventually had to shove a bible into an elders face and tell him that if he couldn't counsel me from there he'd better keep his stupid mouth shut.

W

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    T shirts.

WTF!

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

I was a dumpy elder's daughter AND wife, lol, and I STILL got counselled for wearing skirts that were too LONG! Apparently anything that made you stand out at ALL was unacceptable! Strain at the gnat and gulp down the camel!

brunn

• changeling
    changeling

My daughter was counseled, critizised and gossiped about regarding everthing from fingernail polish to skirt tightness. If she wore a sack someone would have found fault. We came to the conclusion that the real problem was that she was pretty. More "unfortunate looking" girls were wearing much more daring clothes and never had a problem.

changeling

• Mum
    Mum

A few years ago when I was posting on H2O, this clothing topic came up. A young woman, an active JW, sent me an e-mail describing something that happened at her KH. One of the ladies was being counseled regularly about her clothing. So one Sunday she dressed in the most provocative clothing she had and went to the KH. After everyone was seated, she marched right up front and stood on the platform. In an angry, loud voice, she asked the whole congregation what they thought of her clothes. She launched into a loud tirade that lasted several minutes, which, apparently, could be heard in the homes surrounding the KH. What a picture!

I shared that e-mail with a co-worker. My co-worker said it sounded like the elders harassing her were attracted to her.

I found her story inspiring!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit