As a JW were you ever counseled about clothes you wore, or lack thereof ?

by flipper 125 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Thought this could get interesting discussing experiences. I for one was trying to reach out for ministerial servant again in the early 90's , had been one before, and was assigned to carry the microphones one meeting. Had an elder call me in the back room and say , " Brother Flipper, I noticed looking down towards your shoes that you are wearing white socks today. Did you know that is inappropriate meeting attire? You should wear black socks or dark colored socks. " So , yeah maybe I was a little style stupid in my early days, what can I say? Also as a ministerial servant had an old time elder ask," How long you been growing that moustache?" It was new growth, two days. He said," You might want to shave it before your part tonight Thursday night." Gawd, these people were intrusive!

Best one I heard was a friend of mine once though, an elder told my friend, " I noticed your wife's blouse is hanging kind of low , a bit too revealing of her cleavage. " My friend asked the elder, " What are you doing looking at my wife's cleavage , anyway? " Great comeback! What about you all? What crazy experiences did you have with the elders or anyone in the congregations telling you how to look or what to dress like? Would be interesting to hear. All replies welcome, please! Thanks, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Yup I was counselled for wearing a top too low cut, or a skirt too high (meaning at the kneecap, shocking huh?), etc. Usually it was because some elder's wife was ticked her husband couldn't control his eyeballs. I know other "sisters" who got counselled for the same thing many times. More often though, seemed it was more gossip among the congregation than outright haul you in the back room stuff. I will never wear another ankle length skirt ever!

• Quentin
    Quentin

After being exposed to brothers who were "snappy" dressers I stopped wearing pleated dress pants...which got me taken "aside" by an "older man" ( no elder arrangement at that time ) and asked why I wanted to imatate homosexual dress? Show off my goodies as it were...

Then there was the time a "stuanch pioneer sister" pulled me aside and berated me for wearing a blazer which had eagle stamped brass buttons...if your a jw long enough somebody will find something to get stumbled over...the gestapo never sleeps...

• journey-on
    journey-on

Yep...in my early 20's, I got counselled for wearing my skirts too short. The problem was it was the era of the mini skirt and I was 5'6" and slim and couldn't find dresses below my knee. Believe it or not, a sister volunteered to teach me how to sew, and I made some of the most god-awful dresses you can imagine....but they were down to my knees.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Yes, in the mid 1990s an elder complained to my husband about the length of my skirt. Several weeks later, I confronted the elder. He stood by his position that my skirt was too short. I asked him if the skirt I was wearing at the time was too short. He said no. I explained to him that it was the same skirt.

He never said anything again after that. :)

Justitia

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

oops my bad...again

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

sorry double post

• thepackage
    thepackage

I was told that some of my ties were too "loud" and I should look at the WT's and see what kind of ties those brothers wore.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I was pulled aside and counseled for dressing "too modest," that my perfect dress might make the ones dressing inappropriately feel bad.

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

In the mid eighties during the heyday of the 'Miami Vice' series there was a talk given about 'Don Johnson' look-alikes in the congregations and how it looked 'worldly' to roll or push up the sleeves of your jackets. My mom was sitting beside me and started pulling down my sleeves. I didn't ever get to wear them that way again.

Mrs. Eagle says that about the same time there was a talk at one of the assemblies that referred to overly-large belts on girls dresses. Her mom made her take hers off, although many of the girls continued to wear them throughout the rest of the assembly. The girls that refused are probably lurking on JWD these days (I hope)

Let's see what else. I wasn't allowed to carry the microphones once because of the canary yellow sports jacket I was wearing. Brothers lost privileges for wearing ties that were too narrow or woven (maybe croched sp? crow-shayed, whatever). One of the last meetings I attended before my first fade my pants were referred to as, "Too baggy."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit