Mental Illness - diagnosed for me

by Crumpet 133 Replies latest jw experiences

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

With all of the "psychedelic" effects you described, it's not a bit surprising that over the millenia people developed ideas of the supernatural.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Crumpet:

I'm so sorry to hear of your problems; I had no idea you were so severe. But....you are not alone! My father was severely bi-polar / manic-depressive, and I grew up around this. I myself, have many anxiety issues, panic attacks, rage, etc. They really came on strong about 18, after I graduated high school and was in college. Being a JW who was socially inept and sheltered only made the college scene worse. I was playing catch-up it seemed.

Anyway, I've been on Buspar, Zoloft, Atavan, Valuim, Zanax, etc over the course of a few years. Seems they'd work for a while, then fade off. It was hell on me physically, with the side effects being laziness, tired, not tired, weight gain, caring about nothing, dizziness, etc. Finally, January of 2006 I had enough of it and asked my doctor (a D.O.) if there was any way I could get off of this stuff and on to some kind of all-natural stuff that has helps moods, etc. What he suggested was the highest dose of St. John's Wert. I picked some up at GNC and haven't put it down since.

Here's what I've discovered, and this may not work for everyone: It takes my depression away without making me tired, and has left me a bit more manic, so I am more of a productive person. With the additional energy and drive, I have lost 30 pounds and still losing. I am much more happier. But with anything, there are drawbacks. I take a 500mg pill with each meal (3 times a day) and if I miss ANY, I feel the withdrawl. You must take it, no matter what. I never thought much about natural medicines, but this one works for me. Besides, the Chinese have been using this stuff for like, what, 2000 years? They must be on to something.

Anyway, that is just my experience. I'm glad that you are getting help Crumpet. You are on the right road. Who knows? Maybe someday we will finally meet and I can see what for a wonderful person you are.

Luv,

Wing Commander

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Best wishes my contribution is my advice not to take zyprexa.

Zyprexa-Victims I have a lot of pages up on the damage it did to me and many others

• jgnat
    jgnat

Apologies, Crumpet. I'm going to post a quick reply to Vyla and her first post.

Which makes me wonder why do JWs, whose life purposes are supposed to be dedicated to "service to others" are suffering so much from depression. Is it that their service is not HEARTFELT? That they are driven by fear, rather than a true commitment to their beliefs?

Yes, I would agree. I would also agree that a disproportionately high number of JW's are on anti-depression medications. My JW husband is.

Besides the failure to love their vocation, I think a big problem is that with the Witnesses there is only one cause and only one activity. There is no accommodation for various talents or abilities. What of the creative Witness who likes to cook, sew, paint, or play an instrument? How is the introvert Witness accommodated? What of the motherly types who love to work with children? The caring personalities who love nothing more than to provide individualised care for a shut-in? The hard-working helpers who fix and build? (1 Corinthians 12).

I think there is a good argument that the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society is a publishing company masquerading as a religion. The only driver is to push the magazines and to distribute the publications to a known customer base. That's it.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Right I have to go out so I cant respond to all the new and interesting and heartfelt posts but very quickly I couldnt go without responding to you Mr Tyrone.

Deep down I just have this beleif that no one really cares or that someone else has had a harder time, or that I'm just trying to get attention. You wouldn't beleive my bio.

a) I am really sorry that sometimes you feel your posts get ignored. I think this happens to a lot of people. It was another of my reasons in stopping posting for a while. I felt I was hogging a lot of attention and it felt unfair to others who have equally and much worse problems, much funnier insights on life than I do and are altogether more worthy of a response. I took to just posting on the threads that I felt were special and deserved flagging up ie like Roller Daves, but my impulse just to post on the sex threads gets the better of my nobler values!

b) I can relate to what you said about just trying to get attention. Maybe this is a symptom of our mental disorder. I dont know yet. But yeah I didnt want help because I felt I was just attention seeking and that my behaviour was made up...if that makes sense. More often that not when I do things its like I am a director and not me. I am outside myself. So I will say now is a good time to stab or cut yourself Nina. Now is a good time to fall on the floor and pass out. I don't feel its me or an emotion from with in - its the Nina on the outside.

c) We have spoken. You told me a lot of stuff and I do think about you and feel for you. If I didnt care please explain why I emailed you to see if you were okay and ask how your carving was going? Okay so there may not be throngs who care. But there is a mad girl in the UK who does. So just quit whining already and be satisfied!

(((Tyrone)))

Okay please do continue - I will read everything when I get back or there if I take my laptop ---- thats a good idea. Right have a train to catch, byew all - sweetpea - just replied to your PM you adorable girl. Middlechild - what can I say, you blow me away sometimes. You really have amazing strength of mind....oh lord I want to reply to Jgnat and V - the new poster but I have to run. xxxx

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

One more thing Tyrone - it wasnt me who noticed you were gone (well I did but hadnt gotten around to saying anything) it was someone else here who posted wondering if you were okay and asking if anyone had heard. Okay. So thats two people who care.

over and out, Columbo.

• ninja
    ninja

hey everybody talk to crumpy....shes going manic....woo hoo....I am too.....its just another manic mo...saturday

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I'm new here, so I don't know you like the others do, Crumpet, but I think it's great how you are able to share this with the rest of us, and I think it will be helpful not only to yourself, but to others who may read it as well. Personally, I feel relatively content with life post-JW, but at the same time, I could actually tick off several of the points on both the 'low' and 'high' charts. Not sure if that's just a natural effect of the vast difference in outlook on life I now suddenly have, or if I actually do have a problem. Maybe I should check it out further. Anyway, thanks for being so open, and it's great to see that you finally are getting medical help.

Oh - and welcome to you, Vyla!

• fifi40
    fifi40

Just came across this........might be worth looking at

http://www.davincimethod.com/bipolar/gclid=CMni1ff324OCFQfllAodvz37YQ

hope it works otherwise I will edit it...............ok I cant get it to the right page.......but basically this claims to help transform your bipolar temperament from a problem to the secret of your success and mentions famous folk like Beethoven, Hendrix, Van Gogh and Ben Stiller who either are or were sufferers.

• JH
    JH
    colours become sharper but overlaid with blue and green

I also have color problems....I'm colorblind and I found out only at 20 years old.

Thanks for sharing this Crumpet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit