GOOD GOD!! WHY ARE THERE SO MANY.......????

by Terry 192 Replies latest jw friends

• Bryan
    Bryan

I, too, like to keep my spelling correct, though, I fail many times.

This is a "discussion" board. If we could, we'd all be talking and not typing.

Love your posts Terry, but I think you're being a bit anal retentive.

Bryan

• John Doe
    John Doe
    However, I will confess that if someone has spelling errors in text that I'm quoting, I will correct them. *blush*

If you are making direct quotations, you must acknowledge which changes you have made. Otherwise, you're not making a proper quotation. Some literature has been "corrected" by overzealous editors and has been robbed of some of its meaning.

• Terry
    Terry

You are a writer.

Why do expect a mechanic, a cook or a carpenter to have your skills?

Could you fix my car?

Could you cook a great meal?

Could you build me a house?

It all comes down to what is important to us and why. I wasn't born a writer. I use to be able to work on cars until the electronic age overtook my expertise. Now I'd damage my engine no end if I puttered with it (the bastards!). I am a pretty good cook and love cooking shows!

I can't build a house...yet! But, I've designed my "dream home" and hope someday to build it.

Fundamentally, there seems to be two basic kinds of people.

1.Those who work on improving themselves through exercise, diet, reading, schooling, conversation, travel, etc.

2.Those who can't be bothered and who resent the list above. These are often people unhappy, out of shape, ignorant, opinionated beyond education and parochial to the point of ideology.

It is a broad brush I'm painting with, certainly. But, look around you. What do YOU see?

Why do some people CARE and others don't give a flying fudge bar?

• Terry
    Terry

Sorry, I can't get past this. I don't want to read the rest of the thread, regardless of whatever good points it might have.

Thank you!

• JK666
    JK666

No, it doesn't bother me, and I am one of the guilty people!

Look, I am not writing a doctoral thesis! I am communicating. If you can understand the post, why should it matter? I have just spent 4 years in college making perfect papers, 4.0 GPA, and I don't care if my posts are perfect. I don't waste keystrokes any more.

I still cringe when I look over a post of mine and it has errors, but I'll be damned if I am going to go back and proof them for anal retentive people.

That is the crap the elders would expect from us. I try not to totally muck it up, but geeesh, get a life!

JK

• Terry
    Terry
    How DO you pronounce SPECIFICITY

SPESS uh FISS uh TEE

• Terry
    Terry
    Furthermore, we must realize that language evolves and changes over time. What is correct now may be incorrect in the foreseeable future.

This is Philosophy 101. There can be no CORRECT unless a standard is used by which to measure.

You invalidate your own arugment. If you abandon standards there can never be "correct".

• BCberean
    BCberean

Wow.....THANKYOU KIND SIR......ooops...caps on...do I get points off for that too..????

I really was curious about that pronounciation.

Ummmmm.....wait a sec.....why is the i pronounced UH????????

• John Doe
    John Doe

Perhaps I should put this another way, as long as we're using analogies. Using relaxed language and diction on sites such as this is not necessarily an indication of wanton disregard for language or appearances. Often times it is merely an indication of the role this board plays in people's lives.

As has been noted in several places, jw's are encouraged to wear suits in nearly every place, oftentimes in inappropriate places. I recently read of a case where an elder wore a suit and tie on a tropical cruise. How ridiculous does that seem to the average person? Furthermore, does wearing a bathing suit on a tropical cruise reflect a careless attitude on the view of appropriate attire? I would wager that most would think not.

Similarly, posh and polished language is not called for on every occasion. Many times standard English, in an attempt to be standard, becomes tautologous and overly analytical and tedious, losing the flavor that is so savorsome in life. Being tautologous has its place, but it is not an indication that the tautologous, sesquipedalian person has any more respect for language or has any more drive or ambition. Just as you wouldn't come here and post "I awakened this morning and forthwith decided to wash myself in the lavatory, splattering astringent on the crevices in my face and scrubbing my pores," so you wouldn't wear a suit and tie to a beach.

• Rosalee
    Rosalee

As a writer, spelling and grammar are important to you. I was sent an email the other day ... it was a paragraph printed where the spelling of each word was jumbled. Only the first and last letters were where they belonged. I had absolutely no problem reading it ... most people don't.

This being a discussion forum ... getting ones point across is all that really matters. If everyone took the time to correct everything ... a lot could get lost ... losing ones ideas while worrying about perfect spelling.

Mechanics, cooking and carpentry are sidelines to you. Posting here may be a sideline to many nonperfectionists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit