GOOD GOD!! WHY ARE THERE SO MANY.......????

by Terry 192 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Unless you're John Doe. ;-)

Shall I summon BCBerean?

Snowbird

Edited to ask, hmmm?

• Terry
    Terry
    Hey Terry,

Please take a look at the overall tone of my post back on page 3.

I'm sorry I was the one to invoke the "spelling Nazi" epithet. I'm a recovering "spelling Nazi" myself. I think a middle of the road approach is best for this forum. And I believe you've stated as much yourself. At least have the courtesy to take a quick look before posting. But to take it any further than that is to come across as superior or condescending. I think you are definitely a superior writer and thinker, and your work speaks for itself.

I've gotta run before I'm caught out by nosy kids looking over my shoulder.

I concur with what Nvr said in his last couple of posts.

(I don't have time to spell check this, but I'm probably good enough to risk it. ;-) )

Open Mind

No harm; no foul.

Thanks.

The "nazi" connotation is a bit strong for us older folks. I see whereof you spoke, however. S'okay.

T.

• Terry
    Terry

LOL!!! Kicking butts and taking names, aren't you Terry?

I, too, was a spelling champion in my school. I thought I was big and bad until I ventured into uncharted territory. I was soundly trounced, and had to return and lick my wounds. That experience taught me something; to wit, no matter how well you think you can do something, there is always someone who can do it better than you.

Peace and Love,

Snowbird

I think my ass is the red one here!

But, thanks for peace and love!

T.

• knock knock
    knock knock

Now this is a thread with a bullet!

It's funny, I didn't graduate high school and the sum of my English knowledge is that a noun is a person, place or thing. Nevertheless, I instinctively "know" when usage is correct and when I'm writing I try to make reasonable attempts to see that structure and spelling are correct for the intended purpose.

There is this that bugs me though... I may not know much but at least I know the difference between NO and KNOW; THERE, THEIR and THEY'RE; YOU, YOUR and YOU'RE. It's really no big deal on forums and chat rooms 'cause you just tryin to git er done. But this type of thing is quite common even where it does matter.

And yes, I'm well aware that the writers and English majors out there could rip me apart but hey, I'm uneducated and as far as I know, everything I typed is Oll Korrect.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Not to be rude or anything, but might you be just a little OCD? I know what you mean and agree with you, to a point. But, you seem actually inscensed (spell?) by the inaccuracies (spell?). Grab a or and relax!

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

GOOD GOD!!

alt

ALREADY!!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Terry:

Thanks for your reply to me and I have read most of your replies to everybody else. Sorry, no mile wide ass or love-handles here!! I do agree that overall that when you set your standards low, that is what you will get overall. Spelling is just one example. I feel sorry for the younger people and the world they are going to have to live in.

I do realize that just because somebody has poor spelling and grammar does not mean they are stupid or have a low IQ or are a worse person, etc., etc. Unfortunately, the world we live in now tries to make somebody who does have good educational skills feel like they stand out in a negative way somehow. I remember being teased on my first job by girls who said "wow, you use big vocabulary words". I went to a catholic school and the nuns were sticklers for good spelling, grammar and even penmanship. Once when we took a spelling test I cheated and looked at the girl next to me and changed one of my answers. So I got a 99%. That still was the highest grade in the class. So, the nun made me stand up and she said: "I am glad there is somebody here who knows how to spell". So, should I have apologized to these public school girls because I got a better education than they did?? Nonsense.

Sadly, I really feel all this illiteracy in the world has gotten credence and validation from the invention of e-mail and the abbreviations people used in the beginning and still use: e.g. "cn yu cm over?" I guess these abbreviations are a holdover from the days when you got charged by the letter. All this has done is lower the bar across the board. So, people who had piss poor literacy skills to start with are now encouraged to be even more careless.

I refuse to communicate in this way when I use e-mail. I do not care if I am one of the last dinosaurs around who knows how to spell.

LHG

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Well for one....you've got all caps in your title on this thread. That's a big "no no" in the land of grammatical correctness. LOL! As for me...it takes longer to reread and edit my mistakes than it does to create the the post. Sometimes I'll reread it two or three times and still find spelling and grammatical errors. Spell check would be nice, as Misanthopic points out, but it won't help if you've left out whole words to complete your sentence structure. That in particular is my biggest problem, I'm typing as fast as my fingers will go, and I end up missing whole words, grrrr frustrating.

I see lots of people who contribute very valuable posts only to minimize their impact by using some terrible sentence structures. for example, if i use lower case letters to start a sentence or use a lower case letter "i" in the case of referring to one's self, it detracts from the impact of the story and makes you think you're reading the story of an eight year old. On the other hand, perhaps those posters may never have been taught correctly. I don't know, I'm just glad they're here to share their achievements and failures with us.

BP

(of the...it sucks to be a perfectionist....because I can't help it....class)

• knock knock
    knock knock

LHG, lol @ the FIVE edits to correct formatting. Well, it's certainly in keeping with the topic I suppose. :O)

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I refuse to communicate in this way when I use e-mail. I do not care if I am one of the last dinosaurs around who knows how to spell.

Since when does refusing to use abbreviations equate to being more literate? Upon what are you basing your premise?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit