GOOD GOD!! WHY ARE THERE SO MANY.......????

by Terry 192 Replies latest jw friends

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    WHY ARE THERE SO MANY.......

Ya and while we are on the subject DONT YOU FOOLS KNOW THAT AN ELLIPSIS CONSIST OF ONLY 3 DOTS!? NOT .... NOT .. NOT ..... AND CERTAINLY NOT .......

• John Doe
    John Doe

"Actually, none of my family even graduated from High School! I barely did. I'm almost entirely an autodidact."

It's been my observation that those coming from less educated backgrounds (I did, and my dad was a big part in this observation) are a bit more obsessive about things like spelling and grammar. It's almost like an attempt to create the persona of being more than what we were born into--an attack on where we came from, if you will. Quite interesting from a psychological perspective.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

If I was going to an Apostofest, I would shower, brush my teeth, apply deodorant, wear make-up, and choose my clothes carefully. If I turned up smelling of BO and wearing scruffy clothes, would it be reasonable for fellow fest-goers to make some assumptions about me, and how much I valued their company?

How do I present myself to my fellow posters? Do I think you are worth me making an effort to lay out my posts clearly, spell words correctly and use correct grammar so my meaning is clear? Yes I do.

As an aside, some of the best posts on JWD, well thought out, with impeccable grammar and spelling, are from posters who in one case do not speak English as their first language, and in another case was dyslexic AND battling the symptoms of MS.

• sspo
    sspo

Are foreigners excused for not getting it right all the time?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

This is for you, Terry:

I hope I'm not crossing any "boundries".

• Terry
    Terry
    Do you feel there is any appropriate place for the colloquial vernacular then Terry?

If there weren't; there wouldn't be any.

When I write vernacular I include " " marks to indicate I know it is technically incorrect.

I am a writer. I love words and always have. Words have identity. When you don't spell them right you distort identity.

Reality is reflected in our thinking when we precisely identify the constituency of thought itself: language.

The greater one's capacity for specificity the more precise are the tools of thought.

Would a mechanic who used the wrong tools last long on his job?

Would a carpenter who drove nails with a screwdriver?

Would a cook who substitutes salt for sugar make a good chef?

Knowing the difference between an immoral poet and an immortal poet hinges on the letter "t".

• John Doe
    John Doe

Good points Terry; however, this board is informal, and we're not all writers by a long shot. Would you expect layman mechanics to use the correct tools all the time--even when working on their own vehicles? Why is there a distinction between professionals and hobbyists, for instance?

• Rosalee
    Rosalee

Terry

You are a writer.

Why do expect a mechanic, a cook or a carpenter to have your skills?

Could you fix my car?

Could you cook a great meal?

Could you build me a house?

• Terry
    Terry
    It's almost like an attempt to create the persona of being more than what we were born into--an attack on where we came from, if you will. Quite interesting from a psychological perspective.

Correct you are, Yoda!

In my case, I was made fun of by my English teacher when I got up to give an oral book report. My language was riddled with malapropisms, faulty diction, mispronunciations and such. The teacher did me a favor, really. I hadn't been aware I was even speaking this way. Self-awareness jolted me.

I had always admired people who could write and speak well. More than "well", actually. I practically worshipped great speakers and writers early on. The idea that I was incapable of accurately expressing my thoughts disturbed me no end.

I embarked upon a program of learning 16 new vocabulary words a day for 3 years. I read the best books I could find. I recorded my speech and played it back. You see, I cared enough to want a better future for myself than the path I was walking.

Of all the things I've learned in life it is the improvement of vocabulary which has most aided me. I'd compare it to being an artist. If you work only in grey tones you miss out on all the color in life.

• sir82
    sir82
    BOUNDRIES make good neighbors. Spelling is a boundry.

BOUNDRIES should be BOUNDARIES, and boundry should be boundary.

Sorry, I can't get past this. I don't want to read the rest of the thread, regardless of whatever good points it might have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit