Disgusting comment re: education from Tacoma 2007 District Convention

by Justitia Themis 124 Replies latest jw experiences

• emptywords
    emptywords

Sometimes they can say the most stupid things, unloving and so blind.

I can remember back in the mid 80's at a district assembly some ol bethel codger said,

now you single sister will have to get used to being without a mate for eternity because there will not be enough brothers to go around, and think about the angles they don't marry .....so in other words get over it, and the way he said it, was cold heartless and sounded like a women hater, my sister started crying, as she was just widowed and you know the resurrected don't marry, she was devestated.

There was a huge sigh in the audience and bethel ran hot for days and days, sisters phoning up, they said not to take any notice of it, that it was just a test of their integity.

Just disgusting, imagine you dedicated you're youth as a sister to pioneering, dreaming one day of marriage and having children, now in you're late or mid fifties and no hope of ever having a family.

How loving is that....

• still_in74
    still_in74

dont forget, most District level talks ARE READ directly from the outline word for word. I will listen at my convention for the "D.E.A.D." apellation.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

A.A.? Do they consider alcoholics anonymous higher education? Who was he preaching this message to anyway? It's doubtful anyone who qualified was even there, it would be so far beneath them. I like how they are able to make ignorance into something virtuous.

• thepackage
    thepackage

I'm glad I got my degrees while in the WTS. I used to get a hard time from from Elders, one told me that reading the WT for two year was equal to a BA I know that was a bunch of BS. I was asked to give a part at the MS school on how my degree did ot compare to the WTS education I said "no" .

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

I wonder if the speaker would feel better if his doctor did NOT have such letters in proceeding his name on the "sheepskin" on his wall?

Iddiots....Idioats.....Edyuts......uhhh.....

Damn....wish I had gone on to get at least an AA....at least I could write insults as well as speak them.....

V

• sspo
    sspo

I find it very interesting how the big shots at Bethel always enjoyed the generosity and took advantage of those brothers in the borg that were filthy rich.

They would always stay in their luxurious homes and enjoy the best. You would never hear the GB putting down any of those brothers.

Free trips to Europe, expensive suits,best restaurants, all provided for them by these rich and educated witnesses

Hypocrisy at its best.

• sandy
    sandy

"The society is allowed to plan ahead as if Armageddon isn't really around the corner by planning construction projects years into the future. Rank and file members are not allowed to plan ahead as if Armageddon might be years into the future by getting a college education. That's just H.Y.P.O.C.R.I.T.I.C.A.L. "

That always bothered me . . . I never could understand that.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I'm a B.A JW - and I definitely do NOT like comments of the kind made by the speaker. No applause from me.

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

In my thirty years in the organisation, I heard this (higher education thing) all the time. In all those years, I disagreed with it. If Higher Education was frowned upon as a Christian, why did Jesus, of all people, learn the TRADE of carpentry, surely this must have been time consuming. Also where would the Society be if all of it's members were "window cleaners" (I've nothing against window cleaners). Surely an Organisation/Business at the level they have arrived at, could only get there through the skills of those who work for them

KT

• Gill
    Gill

Ah! How very 'nice'! Just what you expect to hear from a dumb JW!

My mother always tells me that JWs don't need an education because Jehovah has chosen the people who the world consider 'stupid' to be his people and only they will survive!

I see where she gets her ability to believe that 'stupid' is the new 'clever'!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit