An "Apostate" partakes at the JWs Memorial

by dedpoet 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

A common sense take on the whole thing, IMO.

The flyer says that all are welcome. The flyer doesn't mention gum-chewing.
    Those who receive the flyer may not have had the whole meeting explained by
    the JW who left it on their porch and ran away. Clearly, partaking is open to
    anyone with the heavenly hope. What was done was okay to do, but I wouldn't
    do it. Many people do things I wouldn't do, and that's okay, I do things many
    of them wouldn't do.

If I had done this, I would have sat there without chewing the gum, and acted
    more serious during the prayer, so that I was sure to be counted in the
    8,900 (or so) partakers this year.

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

I think what Brenda did was totally disrespectful and juvenile. As a person who has never been a witness I might have sympathized with the JW org if I didn’t know what I do know about them. Some outsiders may wonder, when a person leaves the org this is how they behave? What was her point? What I found more disturbing is that she belittled the Communion. I got an invitation to the Memorial and for that reason I didn’t go. I was curious but felt it would have been wrong.

If Jehovah Witnesses are disrespectful to "outsiders" then that is their problem. I don’t believe we should stoop down to their level.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

I agree with you Mouthy, there is class and then there is ???

Many times it is not what we say but how we do, that either causes fights or attracts people

"You will catch more flies with honey, then vinegar"

abr

• beginnersmind
    beginnersmind

Thats the first time ive ever seen anybody partake at a memorial and i went to 30+ of them! My opinion for what its worth is I definitely wouldnt have done that but I guess she must have had her reasons. If she does still believe in God its a bit harder for me to understand because of the symbolism of it but each to their own. However as some have already said its not much help in helping ones get out but i guess thats not what it was done for. I certainly wont be showing it to the other half who's still in.

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

Brenda Lee, Grow up!

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Does anyone know if Brenda posts here?

Thanks

Thomas Covenant

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    What I found more disturbing is that she belittled the Communion.

With all due respect to Guest...what is MOST disturbing is that there are 100 or so "Christians" who are turning up their nose FOR and "communion"; handing the bread and wine off to the next person! There IS no communing going on.....unless there just happens to be one of the self-proclaimed "annointed" in the audience. This is what makes the whole WTS Memorial so totally ludicrous.

• watson
    watson

Brenda reminds me of the "apostates" of old. The outrageous ones that would cause our masses to huddle closer together..

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

Sunspot: I do agree with you that it isn’t truly a communion that they are participating in; they are just observers. So in a sense both Brenda AND the congregations all around the world are mocking the Communion whether they realize it or not.

How the JW org views the memorial makes no sense to me. Jesus said to do this in memory of me till I come back. He never said only a few could partake. When the Jews had Passover all participated. Why do women partake of the memorial when all the disciples were men?

• kid-A
    kid-A

These kind of antics accomplish nothing.

At our memorials, there were always one or two mental cases that would walk in off the street and "partake" of the emblems, people just shrugged it off.

This is probably how she was perceived in this context; I doubt any dubs actually perceived this as some profound apostate protest.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit