I just got back from my circuit assembly !

by 5go 98 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1
    The only thing of note no one is to talk to inactive ones

If this is how they are to act, they are that much closer to being a Jonestown or Heavensgate Cult.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    I too suffered thru it with my daughter and her family. The usual invocations to loyality and obedience to the leadership, The D.O. vilifying college in earnest.1914,1914, $5,000 expenses for 574 people to use of the old paid for assemblyhall. An 80 year old publisher who hasn't missed a meeting since 1945. Annonymous life stories of those who gave up 6 figure executive jobs to clean toilets(literally) at the same business in the name of putting first 'kingdom interests'. Jesus was mentioned briefly 5 times in 2 days. One speaker spoke highly about the organization 4 times in his prayer and thanked him for the 'life giving provisions' provided by the'slave'.

It was the dedication/baptism talk which stood out the most. Dedicating oneself, living up to that dedication thru works and associating with the f/s as manditory for salvation .No dedication scriptures cited as a prerequisite to baptism (are there any?) Not one baptism scripture cited. Only scripture was Phil.2:12 The speaker only mentioned Jesus once during the whole talk. Only to say he did NOT play a role in prayer. He was no 'switch board operator'.In his closing prayer closed it with 'thruyoursonandourkingchristjesusweofferthisprayeramen'. (flicker of new 'light'?) John 14:6 null and void?

So in other words, it's the same shit, different assembly.

• penny2
    penny2
    The only thing of note no one is to talk to inactive ones exept to invite them to the hall. That includes and was stressed family as well.

I'd be interested to know whether others have heard this or whether this was a one off talk by some self-righteous idiot who got carried away.

I had a conversation recently with some JW family members about shunning ex-JWs when they are not DS'd or DA'd. I was told that if someone is living a lifestyle showing they are no longer a JW, they will be regarding as "no longer a JW" and treated accordingly. There is no such thing as disfellowshipping or disassociating oneself now. It's all whether or not you are still a JW.

This means as soon as you celebrate a birthday, have a xmas decoration or have sex with someone you are not married to, the family will shun you (if they know about it obviously).

However, the comment above goes one step further - not talking to inactive ones. Maybe this is a logical progression. Anyone not going in FS cannot really claim to be a JW.

penny2

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

5go,

Thanks for your post. How many were baptized at your Circuit Assembly? What were the demographics (i.e. children of JWs or newly found converts)?

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• Triple A
    Triple A

Oh and the GB really thinks armegeddon is coming. SOOON !!!!!!! In fact they might openly predict it again I think.

One could only hope that they would again be so bold.

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

From the inside, this was nothing major. ....this was for my protection. From the outside, this is serious cult-like behavior.

What a difference a day (as in age, generation or a thousand years) makes.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I'd be interested to know whether others have heard this or whether this was a one off talk by some self-righteous idiot who got carried away.

This sort of thing happens all the time. It would appear that this type of scenario happened with 1975 expectations, with some COs, DOs, and elders being much stronger in their opinions about the significance of the year than were others.

Nvr

• anewme
    anewme

That speech is very worrisome to me. I fear for the mental health of my former family.
    Yes, just where in the Bible and Jesus' words do they get that Christians should not encourage other Christians?

They are creating drama and hysteria among their members.

Never forget They have done this before!

• LaniB
    LaniB

"The only thing of note no one is to talk to inactive ones exept to invite them to the hall. That includes and was stressed family as well."

Well this explains why my witness sister is no longer answering my emails and probably why she is not paying me the money she owes me. She finally paid $100 of the $2000 she's owed me for the past 5 years and suddenly stopped and now refuses to answer my calls or emails.

Some of the money is money which was entrusted to her by a third party who is not a witness to give to me and the rest is for the $2,500 worth of furniture I sold her for $900 since she was my sibling. I should have sold it elsewhere and ignored the fact she needed a hand at the time. Amazing what justification she and the elders can give to her actions. Since she attends meetings and I don't that makes her a "good person" in the eyes of the elders. To her, she is refusing to have contact with me and family because I am not attending meetings because it is her religious duty. To me, I just call it theft.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Hello LaniB,

I'm not petty and money isn't more important than people. But if your sister's hiding behind the religion to get out of paying you that's just deplorable( yeah I know that's a WT word). I'd talk to the elders about that one. If they even hint that they've encouraged her to neglect her responsibility due to your status with the congo., I'd let them know that they can be included as defendants when you bring your case against her. Don't take me too seriously. I just have seen this sort of thing so many times in the org.

Best wishes.

Nvr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit