If the bible is from God then explain this!

by Anti-Christ 104 Replies latest jw experiences

• Terry
    Terry

The bible is an exquisite corpse. Know what that is? It is a story begun by one person which is continued by a second and passed on to a third without any of the participants consulting as to outcome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exquisite_corpse

Anybody can build on what preceded, but, can also shape and move the narrative according to whim.

The big problem all of us have (now that the bible canon has been closed a while) is pretending there is only ONE mind and purpose behind any of it. That and that alone is the source of the greatest confusion involved in parsing "meaning", "messege", "intent", or "value".

The false premise that one divine mind is explaining something which is vital to us keeps us racing like a hamster in an exercise wheel.

Almost everybody who approaches scripture has a go at making sense of it. There are quite literally tens of thousands of nuanced explanations, explications and analyses that have poured out of enquiring minds over the centuries.

But, there is nothing behind this "exquisite corpse" other than imagination and arbitrary caprice.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gill:

Did I miss something?

Only my first 10,000 posts, where I regularly refer to the Bible as spiritual diaries

Did you see what a nasty person the God of the Bible is?

OT or NT? Some would argue that the God of the NT is Jesus, and he doesn't seem that nasty

History is written by the victors.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Oh Mad one... Please count me worthy to receive you bounteous provisions. Feed me, like a young anxious puppy, those tastey morsels dropping from Jojjoba's glorious table. Flash me, like an intoxicated spring breaker, this brilliant light to illuminate my way. Oh Mad one, hold back no longer I beg of thee.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Have you noticed that there has not been one single attempt to justify anything that was mentioned so far?

You know what that indicates to me?

A: Plenty of Christians have an answer but have no desire to stand up for their gods name.

B: Not a single Christian happened to click on this topic.

Or C: Lots of Christians have read this topic, but not one of them can think of a single justification.

I'm a little disapointed that nobody has anything to say in the bible's defence. I was kind of looking forward to it.

• Mad
    Mad

Terry wrote: "The bible is an exquisite corpse. Know what that is? It is a story begun by one person which is continued by a second and passed on to a third without any of the participants consulting as to outcome.Anybody can build on what preceded, but, can also shape and move the narrative according to whim.The big problem all of us have (now that the bible canon has been closed a while) is pretending there is only ONE mind and purpose behind any of it. That and that alone is the source of the greatest confusion involved in parsing "meaning", "messege", "intent", or "value".The false premise that one divine mind is explaining something which is vital to us keeps us racing like a hamster in an exercise wheel.Almost everybody who approaches scripture has a go at making sense of it. There are quite literally tens of thousands of nuanced explanations, explications and analyses that have poured out of enquiring minds over the centuries. But, there is nothing behind this "exquisite corpse" other than imagination and arbitrary caprice.

Mad writes: Well, Terry- you sure have proven my opinion that people usually believe ONLY what they WANT to believe. Ever find 40 people that can agree on ANYTHING in this world- as far as what's 'right' and what's 'wrong'? That IS a rhetorical question. No. And yet, in this 'exquisite corpse', as you refer to it, there is the complete harmony of what is Right and Wrong. You have examples of explanations people of just 100 years ago had NO IDEA of; the reference to creation in Scientifically accurate stages (not to be confused with church teachings!), the Mosaic Law protecting the Israelites from germs & viruses that noone knew existed, moral codes that, if followed today, result in a rich & happy person- and SO much more! I can't know WHY you don't want to look at what the Bible says without such animosity- my GUESS is that you clearly see the hypocrasy of religion as a whole- but I encourage you to set all your opinions & feelings aside and look at it a LOT closer!

• Mad
    Mad

Freewilly wrote: "Oh Mad one... Please count me worthy to receive you bounteous provisions. Feed me, like a young anxious puppy, those tastey morsels dropping from Jojjoba's glorious table. Flash me, like an intoxicated spring breaker, this brilliant light to illuminate my way. Oh Mad one, hold back no longer I beg of thee."

Mad writes: Kiss the Feet of this statue, as so many Believers have-

http://www.missionandshrine.org/fr_lopez.htm

• Mad
    Mad

LtCommand wrote: "Have you noticed that there has not been one single attempt to justify anything that was mentioned so far? You know what that indicates to me?A: Plenty of Christians have an answer but have no desire to stand up for their gods name.B: Not a single Christian happened to click on this topic.Or C: Lots of Christians have read this topic, but not one of them can think of a single justification.I'm a little disapointed that nobody has anything to say in the bible's defence. I was kind of looking forward to it.

Mad writes: Don't be diasppointed; a lot of people actually HAVE a life, and don't spend every waking hour reading these endless posts. Ask ME your questions, oh Humble One! ( Just allow me a few days to get back to your posting- or e-mail me at [email protected] - the address I use to collect spam!) I enjoy playing your games!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Don't mind Mad. He is hard of hearing and seems incapable of heeding his mother's pleadings to stay away from the naughty, naughty apostate boys and girls.

Hello Mad, This discussion forum constitutes a support group for the thousands of publishers that have suffered in one way or another due to the antics of the self-appointed Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. Some here were disfellowshipped, some disassociated themselves. Yet others simply walked away because they felt they couldn't stay for one second more. Others prefer a slow fade. Some who read or lurk here are currently elders, ministerial servants, pioneers, Bethelites, etc. Some may lead an immoral lifestyle according to your personal standards, others are more morally fastidious than many JWs. Some are atheists, others agnostics, many non-denominational Christians, and quite a few undecided in matters of faith. I'm sure I'm leaving out quite a few. If you like spending time here with this fascinating group of courageous individuals you're very welcome to do so.

Love and respect,

Nvr

P.S.- The egomaniacal are also welcome, so you'll fit right in.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    Ask ME your questions, oh Humble One!

First of all, this is a discussion board, you should feel free to respond to a topic without a personal invitation... but in case you forgot I already DID ask you personally. And you said:

LOLOLOLO! I have no desire to justify ANYTHING- nor explain anything to you, LtC. I was asking Antichrist.

Then abandoned asked you personaly and so did anti-christ sort of...

So once again I specifically ask YOU Mad: How do you justify the aforementioned atrocities commited by the biblical god, and/or allowed by his law? Feel free to take them one at a time.

(Although everyone else is free to respond, and I promise I won't say "LOLOLOLO! Your answer doesn't count. I was asking Mad.")

LtCmd.Lore

• Mad
    Mad

LtCmd wrote:' First of all, this is a discussion board, you should feel free to respond to a topic without a personal invitation... but in case you forgot I already DID ask you personally. And you said: LOLOLOLO! I have no desire to justify ANYTHING- nor explain anything to you, LtC. I was asking Antichrist. Then abandoned asked you personaly and so did anti-christ sort of...So once again I specifically ask YOU Mad: How do you justify the aforementioned atrocities commited by the biblical god, and/or allowed by his law? Feel free to take them one at a time.(Although everyone else is free to respond, and I promise I won't say "LOLOLOLO! Your answer doesn't count. I was asking Mad.") LtCmd.Lore

Mad writes: Thanks for explaining; your earlier response gave me the impression that you simply wanted to insult; I don't waste time with ridiculers...Please consider this before I start babbling: Have you studied the Bible? Not just what it says- but it's background? All prophecy in it points to the Day when Christ will execute those he judges as Wicked- and he won't be guessing- he will KNOW. IF what the scriptures say is true.

(I never wanted to believe they were! The facts showed me otherwise, then I started appreciating its words. I could be wrong- altho I can't see ANY reason to believe that- and I'm ALWAYS looking!)

The reason I'm asking you this is to determine if I CAN answer your doubt; I can from the Bible- but that will be meaningless to you if you don't believe it's true!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit