If the bible is from God then explain this!

by Anti-Christ 104 Replies latest jw experiences

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    the account shows the area where God created Eden was devoid of food- bearing plants
    before the garden was formed. Not the ridiculous claim above.
    Genesis 2:5-9 (King James Version)

5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.

6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

8 And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    The King of Moab, Eglon was referred to at 4:21, not Sisera! What an idiot this writer was.
    Judges 4:21-22 (King James Version)

21 Then Jael Heber's wife took a nail of the tent, and took an hammer in her hand, and went softly unto him, and smote the nail into his temples, and fastened it into the ground: for he was fast asleep and weary. So he died.

22 And, behold, as Barak pursued Sisera, Jael came out to meet him, and said unto him, Come, and I will shew thee the man whom thou seekest. And when he came into her tent, behold, Sisera lay dead, and the nail was in his temples.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

LtCmd:
    To say that you're not too keen on folks generalising, why did you post this?:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/129791/2317187/post.ashx#2317187

As a Christian who has no desire to defend the Bible or God, why should I accept your assertion that no Christians have either read or posted to this thread?

nvrgnbk:

Here's a question to inform your questions. If all of the sacred texts of all religions were in some way lost without the means to reproduce them, would any deity be so obviously existent and involved in the affairs of humanity that all thinking, intelligent persons would accept it's/his/her godship without debate? Illustration: If all scientific documentation of the theory of gravity were lost, in short order the theory could be rewritten based on unbiased, universal experience.

Pretty much every culture has its concept of Deity, and to a remarkably similar degree. In my wide studies of religion I have concluded that generally religions have more in common than not. I would posit that your question is answered in that fact.

A-C:Did you research all of those yourself, or rip them off of someone else's work? I ask because some of them show obvous inattention to detail. One explanation for many of your "examples" is that folks and places often had several names, as I do myself. I don't care to defend the bible, but I do care that mixing in poor and strong examples weakens your argument. Just sayin'

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Pretty much every culture has its concept of Deity, and to a remarkably similar degree. In my wide studies of religion I have concluded that generally religions have more in common than not. I would posit that your question is answered in that fact.

I'm very careful not to be dogmatic about the matter. I hope I made it pretty clear that I feel unsure about God's existence and true identity. I am sure of one thing. If I make good decisions on a reasonably consistent basis I enjoy a reasonable degree of success. If I do the opposite, I get the opposite result. In other words, I've got to carry on. And I'm doing just that. Jehovah, if He exists and cares and that is His name in the English tongue, knows better than anyone what I've seen in my short life and why I feel the way I do about things. I would humbly welcome any illumination He would throw my way. I just lost any and all confidence that such illumination could come from the arrogant and out-of-touch Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. I'm not angry and bitter, I'm hurt and disappointed.

Thank you for your response, LT. I have been reading your comments for a couple of years. I respect both your logic and your faith.

The post that you responded to above was not meant to arrogantly discount God. If it came across that way, I apologize. Rather it was a response to the dogmatism that is often displayed in such matters. From my more recent post, you see my heart and mind on the subject. I guess what I'm trying to say LT is that I would like to regain faith. With the mental gymnastics I was forced to do for 30+ years as both a JW and a thinker( is that an oxymoron?), it's not going to be easy for me. I sincerely (in all truth and seriousness) welcome any help that may be offered in this regard.

Nvr

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

nvrgnbk:
    As you will be very well aware, I don't get upset by such discussions. IMHO God is big enough to take care of Himself. You have absolutely nothing to apologise for. I just attempted to give you the answer to your question that best satisfies my own personal [current] level of understanding, in the hope that it might be of some small assistance.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I didn't take it wrong, brother. We're good. I'd love to buy you a pint or five.

Nvr

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    To say that you're not too keen on folks generalising, why did you post this?:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/129791/2317187/post.ashx#2317187

Acctualy I said he can generalize all he wants... just so he realised that I didn't fit into the description of me he made. He was perfectly correct in his generalization that many atheists insult theists...(But it's the same way with theists vs atheists.) I have a tendency to generalize about people I haven't yet met... but once I meet someone I judge them for who they are.

For instance, I think most theists (In fact, most humans.) insult people who don't share their beliefs... but if I meet one who doesn't insult me than I will definately not treat him as if he did.

As a Christian who has no desire to defend the Bible or God, why should I accept your assertion that no Christians have either read or posted to this thread?
    IMHO God is big enough to take care of Himself.

Well then you would fit squarely into catagory A: "Plenty of Christians have an answer but have no desire to stand up for their gods name."

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

LtCmd:

Well then you would fit squarely into catagory A: "Plenty of Christians have an answer but have no desire to stand up for their gods name."

Maybe you need to define what you mean, because it evidently isn't clear. Why does God's "name" need standing up for

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

A-C:Did you research all of those yourself, or rip them off of someone else's work? I ask because some of them show obvous inattention to detail. One explanation for many of your "examples" is that folks and places often had several names, as I do myself. I don't care to defend the bible, but I do care that mixing in poor and strong examples weakens your argument. Just sayin'

Yes I did rip some off, but not all of them. When I found these "examples" I was just suprised to see so many possible contradictions. I was raised a JW and I never had the chance to examine such possibility of error. I don't trust the WT to give me an honest answer, so that's why I'm here(well, part of it). Most of what I knew (thought to be true)about the bible, evolution, science and so on, came from the WT. So now that my mind is free I'm exploring all possibilities.

• Mad
    Mad

Spaznik wrote:"Mad: So, destroying people is "managing society"? I'm not sure that answers my question about all things being possible with God and yet he supposedly chooses mass slaughter over say mass correcting. How is that any different from how humans have been "running things"? Thanks for your reply."

Mad writes: I said that I didn't KNOW the answer to that, S! However, if ANYONE has a "right" to execute & judeg people as wicked- it's the One who made them!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit