If the bible is from God then explain this!

by Anti-Christ 104 Replies latest jw experiences

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    One more thing... just something I was thinking of recently: remember when the Israelites built the golden calf? They did this WHILE the law against it was being made... so they couldn't have known it was a sin, since they didn't even have the rules yet. After several hundred years in egyptian captivity, and with no laws against it before that even, how the heck were they supposed to know NOT to build an idol? Where they just supposed to go without worshipping god for over a month? But they were punished for it anyway.

Good point.I was thinking of the Nephilim they had no chance of redemtion, guilty of being born. I guess if the WT explanation for the killing of the Israelites is true we are guilty of being born as well and it sort of throws the whole free will theory out the window.Oh! and yes I do want an explanation for the verses I quoted.

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder
    even if you do notice, the brainwashing kicks in and you just ignore it: 'Who am I to question god, maybe it'll be explained in a magazine soon.' or: 'I'm sure god had a good reason.' or: 'That can't be what it really means... otherwise someone else would have noticed it by now.'

So true. It was the "wait on Jehovah" indoctrination. Nevermind we are waiting on a bloodthirsty, insecure, tribal God. I remember my mother justifying the rampant genocide in the Old Testament by saying that "archaeologists" found records of their societies and found they were so "wicked" they wondered why God didn't destroy them earlier. I was a kid at the time so I just swallowed that pill, but of course my mother couldn't name any said "archaeologists". Doesn't sound much like objective science to me. One has only to look at the story of the beloved hero Samson (My Book of Bible Stories anyone?) and see he was a mass murdering (Judges 14:19, 15:15, 16:28-30), animal torturing (Judges 14:6, 15:4,5), prostitute frequenter (Judges 16:1). What a fine, shining example for youth today. This is just one example of how ridiculous it is for anyone to base their morality on a ridiculous, contradictory, compilation of atrocities.

FBF

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    This is just one example of how ridiculous it is for anyone to base their morality on a ridiculous, contradictory, compilation of atrocities.

yea, my thoughts exactly. Man does it feel good to finally have a free mind!!!!!!!

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Hey! fleshybird I'm 30 and I'm from Quebec

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    I was a kid at the time so I just swallowed that pill, but of course my mother couldn't name any said "archaeologists".

Funny how that works isn't it? They say that 'many' scientists believe in god, but ask them to name just one and they draw a blank... Or mention someone like a mathematician who would be no more qualified to tell if god exists than the average Joe. Or worse yet, like they did in that Awake about evolution, only quote Jehovahs Witnesses about it... (!? Right after accusing evolutionists of being biased, they donate several pages to only Jehovahs Witnesses, most of which were elders or pioneers longer than they were scientists.)

I guess if the WT explanation for the killing of the Israelites is true we are guilty of being born as well and it sort of throws the whole free will theory out the window.

Exactly... so basicaly god could have said: "Hey I'm bored, and while I realize that you haven't done anything wrong, I'm gonna kill all your firstborns just so you know who's boss." And that would have been completely acceptable, because we all inherited sin from Adam, right?

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." [David Hume, Treatise of Human Nature (1739)]

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    "Hey I'm bored, and while I realize that you haven't done anything wrong, I'm gonna kill all your firstborns just so you know who's boss." And that would have been completely acceptable, because we all inherited sin from Adam, right?

Right!

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

"God does not exist if Big Bang cosmology, or some relevantly similar theory, is true. If this cosmology is true, our universe exists without cause and without explanation. There are numerous possible universes, and there is possibly no universe at all, and there is no reason why this one is actual rather than some other one or none at all. Now the theistically alleged human need for a reason for existence, and other alleged needs, are unsatisfied. But I suggest that humans do or can possess a deeper level of experience than such anthropocentric despairs. We can forget about ourselves for a moment and open ourselves up to the startling impingement of reality itself. We can let ourselves become profoundly astonished by the fact that this universe exists at all." Quentin Smith in William Lane Craig and Quentin Smith, Theism, Atheism, and Big Bang Cosmology, (New York: Oxford University Press, 1993) ,p. 216.

• Mad
    Mad

MisoCup wrote: "Men wrote the bible then claimed divine inspiration. Here's one:The mormons believe that Joseph Smith translated the book of Mormon from invisible golden tablets that only he could see and coincidently only he could translate.Uh what?"

Mad writes: The Book of Mormon is a farce to anyone who has a little intelligence, The Bible comes from beyond Man to anyone with the same.

• Mad
    Mad

SirNose wrote:"According to the WT, God, "in his wisdom" is also responsible for sin: "For the creation was subjected to futility [being born in sin and with death facing all], not by its own will [the children of Adam were brought into the world facing this situation, though they themselves had no control over what Adam had done, and by no choice of their own] but through him [God, in his wisdom] that subjected it, on the basis of hope that the creation itself also will be set free from enslavement to corruption and have the glorious freedom of the children of God." So God subjected everyone to imperfection and death so that "on the basis of hope" everyone might be set free from imperfection and death. So in other words, I'm going to let everyone freeze to death outside, on the hope that a few figure out how to warm themselves and get inside my house. "

Mad writes: Your illustration is as goofy as your icon, my friend! Do you have any DESIRE to understand- or are you too embittered?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit