If the bible is from God then explain this!

by Anti-Christ 104 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mad
    Mad

Anti wrote:"\The account shows that God CONTINUED to add to the animal kingdom after creating Adam,
    NOT the ridiculous implication above.

Genesis 2:19 (King James Version) 19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

Mad writes: Anti- if you take an HONEST look at Genesis, you will clearly see there is no attempt to state things chronologically EXCEPT the description of the Creative Days. What this verse SIMPLY tells us is that God created EVERY living animal, and later had Adam name them. If you don't want to believe the Bible- PLEASE don't let me stop you! Just ignore me- PLEASE!

• rawdata
    rawdata

The very exsistance of this discussion makes me question any supernatural source. The Bible is not self-contained. It doesn't explain things that "seem" to be inconsistancies/contradictions within itself. It always leaves these explinations to some persons or other with "special" insight into the meaning. To me that points as much to it's origins as anything else. Extrodinary claims require extrodinary evidence. If Advertisers can come up with compelling enough language so as not to leave people confused as to their meaning and intent, How much more so the Omniscient, Omnipotent God of Christianity?

• sandy
    sandy

All the death and violence that God ordered or condoned in the old testament has always been an issue with me. Even though i never voiced my opinions or questions, it made me sad, wondering why God would allow such things.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    Extrodinary claims require extrodinary evidence. If Advertisers can come up with compelling enough language so as not to leave people confused as to their meaning and intent, How much more so the Omniscient, Omnipotent God of Christianity?

Exactly my point! If the bible is really from the most intellengent, wise and loving being in the univers, by reading it I should be convinced not more confused. I should'nt have to defend or find ways to explain or rationalize things in it that don't make any sense. I don't think that it has to do with people not wanting to beleave in it but the other way around.

• Mad
    Mad

RawData writes:"The Bible is not self-contained. It doesn't explain things that "seem" to be inconsistancies/contradictions within itself. It always leaves these explinations to some persons or other with "special" insight into the meaning."

Mad writes: RD, since the books in the Bible were written SO long ago (Genesis being a recording of Verbal History passed on from before writing was practiced), and the languages so ancient, and the fact that they were written by 40 different individuals at different times, places & societies- you need to look at it a little differently: it wasn't written by Joseph Smith or a group of monks. While the Greatest Minds of those past Ages were teaching the most ridiculous Creation Stories imaginable ( Gods warring in Heaven, divine blood splattering on the Earth forming man & woman- and many even MORE silly), Genesis described how the Earth was shaped for life (it ALREADY existed when the Creative Days began) , and how life was brought about in stages- as found true by Science- barring, of course, the Theory of Evolution! While the people of all cultures were dying from endless diseases, the Mosaic Law, when followed, protected the Israelites from germs & virususes NOONE at that time knew existed. And there's SO much more! (Get one of our books on the subject, even if you never want to join us.) The 'contradictions' come from OUR limited IQs- and from dogma pounded into our minds...and then there are those that simply don't WANT to understand the Bible- just ridicule it for their own reasons. The scriptures DO confirm your point "It always leaves these explinations to some persons or other with "special" insight into the meaning"- James 1:5 says that you only need to ask God- and He will give to the understanding- IF you really want it!

Sandy wrote:"All the death and violence that God ordered or condoned in the old testament has always been an issue with me. Even though i never voiced my opinions or questions, it made me sad, wondering why God would allow such things."

Mad writes: If you study the lives and practices of those ancient peoples, Sandy (look them up in Bible Dictionaries, and National Geographic sites/books)- you will begin to understand; it was like life on an Alien World. People took their young children to temples to be abused by priests (on PURPOSE), or slit open with knives as sacrifices, And when these people attacked another, they didn't just kill them- they tortured them in ways that make the Nazis look like the Teletubbies. It was a VERY brutal world; the movie "300" is the first I've seen that really captures the atmosphere! So, yes- it's VERY difficult to understand without having a knowledge of life at that time! The scriptures always revealed how sad & disgusted God was at the things being done- and that He set an Appointed Time to put an End to it all. When we set an 'appointed time', say to take a vacation, it's always for many reasons. The same is true with Jehovah!

Agape,

Mad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit