• Dismembered
    Dismembered
    Re: Name "UNWRITTEN" Rules That JWs Are Supposed To Follow

"Elders" should be given double honor.

Dismembered

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

SeanGuy,

Welcome! Hang out here for a while and do some reading. You'll love this site.

I was baptized in 1963, and though you must realize that some of these "unwritten rules" mentioned above are presented a bit tongue-in-cheek, they are for the most part essentially true. I served as an elder and MS for a few decades. The rules weren't the same in every congregation, but they were there by the ton.

There were elders who would try to shame you for getting together after the Memorial, and other elders who loved doing it.

COs who made fun of kids from the platform for long hair, for short hair, for spiked hair, etc.

Come on, SeanGuy, you must know about some of these rules!!

S4

• minimus
    minimus

Sisters shouldn't wear too much makeup or jewelry Years ago, I bought my wife a full length mink coat, a dazzling diamond to go with the other jewelry and she always had designer handbags. "The friends" used to talk behind her back because of her excesses and even felt her makeup was inappropriate. We ignored these busybodies but I always thought they were ballsy for going there. Some felt more pious if they wore hand me downs and ate leftovers. Depriving oneself was considered saintly in the first Hall we were in. The other congregation was just the opposite.

• new boy
    new boy

In are hall there was a saying "only sluts were slits"

The.........Biggest "unwritten" rule I know of is. If you do have oral sex DON"T tell anyone.

NB

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    Men and women cannot be friends.

Is this Witness-wise or is this just a statement LOL.

• Rooster
    Rooster

I built my own house, anyway an elder started getting on my case over this stating "Why are you wasting your time building that house when Armageddon is so close? You should be spending that time in the ministry!" I built my house in 1990. He & his wife are missionaries now. Wow 17 years ago..

• Rooster
    Rooster
    Don’t forget if you drink the wine or eat the bread @ the memorial Jehovah will destroy you!!
  • anewme
    anewme

Lets go easy on the new guy. Afterall I remember at first feeling appalled by the digs at the Society too.

BUT NOW I AM LAUGHING MY HEAD OFF!!!!

CAUSE IT IS ALL SOOOOOOO SAD & TRUE!!!!!!!

THIS THREAD IS VERY FUNNY!!!!

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Quite a few of those unwritten rules, seems to much more prevalent in the US, than in Scandinavia. I guess due to the fact that fundamentalist groups are not very widespread here, and few people are puritanic, witnesses tend to be more relaxed than their US counterparts. Even though they are perceived as being quite strict compared to the average population.

• Rooster

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit