Homeopathy popular in Jehovah's Witnesses ?

by Tigerman 126 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• looking_glass
    looking_glass
    Way to put words in my mouth. :)

yeah, but at least according to you it is better than putting [fill in what vitamin you find offensive] there instead.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

ackack,

Which pills or therapy are you objecting to?

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Speaking of quackery, there is this woman in Ponca City Oklahoma who claims to read eyes. JWs in this area go to her all the time and have her shine a flashlight in their eyes, so this woman can tell them what herbs and vitamins to take.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    I many pI many people use benadryl 25 mg, for years to sleep. It can be very effective..eople use benadryl 25 mg, for years to sleep. It can be very effective..

LOL Wednesday I hardly recognize you, umm I think you need to shave. New avatars always mess with my mind.....that said a 2 to 1 ratio of Calcium and Magnesium nightly is a great aid for the sleepless.

I have for all my grown up life used a combination of homeopathy and modern medicine. I think balance is the solution. I know the benefits of a simple ingredient like raw garlic. Raw Garlic is a potent natural antibiotic and, while far less strong than modern antibiotics, can still kill some strains of bacteria that have become immune or resistant to modern antibiotics.

However if I had a serious infection like pneumonia I would go see a physician and get some strong meds. I think garlic is great and has worked for me for years to get over the common cold, sore throat ect...but I wouldn't use it solely and if I wasn't seeing improvement soon I would seek medical help.

It's interesting to note also that one of the key ingredients in garlic is sulfur, sulfur was used pre penicillin.

• ackack
    ackack

jayhawk1, generally, I'm objecting to non-evidence based medicine. Specifically, this would include homeopathy, naturopathy, chiropractic medicine and other alternative therapies. This would also include most of the vitamin and supplement industry (which ironically, is now being backed by big pharma). All of my criticisms are based on evidence, but specifically, the topic this thread started on, homeopathy, is one of my favorite quack fields.

ackack

• ackack
    ackack

jayhawk1, good catch! Iridology and reflexology are both wonderful examples of quackery as well. Both are popular among JWs (and others).

ackack

• looking_glass
    looking_glass
    Raw Garlic is a potent natural antibiotic and, while far less strong than modern antibiotics, can still kill some strains of bacteria that have become immune or resistant to modern antibiotics.

Bikerchik - do you remember when candida was the JW disease of choice. Everyone raved of garlic and so all the jw chicks started taking it. The hall I went to was horrible with the smell of garlic leaking from everyone's pours!!! Now that being said, my family also believes in garlic, eating it raw though, not tablets or cooking. My nutritionist friend taught me a trick, in order to avoid knocking people over w/ garlic breath, chop the garlic up and then swallow it like a pill, it is less likely to cause you to reak of garlic. Also, for a sore throat, I gargle w/ vinegar and warm water for around 15 to 30 seconds, that also kill bacteria that is hiding in the throat. And for those who poo-poo this, I will just close by saying, at least I have found this works for me.

• wednesday
    wednesday

This reminds me of something that happened in the 80's . A very nice sis felt I needed vitamins and herbs, the brand she was selling. She told me that the key to them working was "believing they worked, faith". I thanked her b/c she really meant well. But I had to tell her that anything that required me to have faith in it to work (be effective) was not for me. I understand the placebo effect, but I do not have to believe in antibiotics (or benadryl) for them to work. They work. That does not mean I am not hopeful of a new treatment helping, but to have faith in something, believe in it, no, sorry.

It worries me some people are so desperate, they will try anything. but---you'd have to be the sick person to understand.. I have been that sick. I recall the movie "a leap of faith" . Great movie. But , some things do work, and I dont' need a study to know that. I laugh when I see things like "a new study proves, your grandmother was right, chicken soup really does help " (i swear i really do think I recall seeing that). Did we really need a study to prove that?

The poster above is right, keep an open mind, try things, if they work, great, if not, try something else.. if you have a serious, life threatning illness, I'd start with traditional medicine, and keep my eyes open. Suzzane Somers had breast cancer and combined traditional with an alternate route. She seems to be doing great..

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1
    New avatars always mess with my mind.....

Bikerchic, you are one to talk... LOL.

• zensim
    zensim

This approach is used when confirming psychics or astrology. People remember the hits and forget the misses. People have observational biases. Eliminating the "human" factor from this sort of investigation has shown to be the best approach we currently have.

In the end, its not the results of scientific medicine that is important, rather, its the method. The method has saved us from the countless quackery that used to be peddled.

Ackack - you are completely right on this point and I feel better personally that there are people like you who make sure the controls are in place so innocent and less educated people are not taken advantage of (well, not as much). But just remember to temper the 'control' bit. Your approach to investigation is a great one and probably one of the best we have, but it is still an imperfect one, born of the human mind - it is not infallible so neither should any results from this approach be considered infallible.

btw, there is a huge difference between 'stories' and personal experience. Most of us are not talking heresay here, but directly from our own experience. If I put it out there that something helped me and on the basis of that someone else thinks it may help them and tries it - great if it works for them, if it doesn't, I hope they find what they need elsewhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit