Homeopathy popular in Jehovah's Witnesses ?

by Tigerman 126 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mary
    Mary
    ackack said: Mary, unfortunately, regulation does not equal efficacy. Insanely, the EU just expanded their qualifications for "medicine" to include things that have prior claims of working, but no real proven efficacy. The nonsense duo of echinacea and ginkgo biloba are regulated by the FDA, despite their being useless.

Sorry ackack but I don't agree. There have been many studies done with Ginkgo Biloba and it is not "useless". I'm too tired right now to look it up, but will try to do so tomorrow. When I was going through a very rought time a few years ago, my doctor wanted to put me on antidepressants, which I refused to take. Instead, I did research, went to my Naturopath who recommended a combination of 5-HTP, L-Tyrosine and Ginkgo Biloba. It worked far better than what I was expecting and I will post here the Medical journals that studied the effects of these herbs on depression. It might surprise you.

• ackack
    ackack

Ginkgo is often marketed as a memory aid, and it was in that context I was calling it useless. I should have been more clear. I don't know anything about its uses as an anti-depressant. I look forward to the studies you'd like to show me.

ackack

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I remember one sister who was into this. She was always Sick and never got better.

• Odrade
    Odrade

I use arnica, and it is recognized as an alternative treatment for sprain/strain, by many fields even outside the alternative community. It is not an arsenic derivative though. Arnica is produced from Arnica Montana, a lovely little flower that looks like this:

I think the second (arsenic)remedy Mulan is thinking of is Arsenicum Album, which is commonly used for chronic digestive complaints, as well as fever and chills.

I won't comment on the efficacy of homeopathy, other than to say I've used it for years, and find that some of it works very well for me.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

As many of you know,I was left for dead in the wilderness..One of the problems I had when I came back to civilization was,loss of memory..I had a photographic memory,now I could`nt remember sh*t..Ginkgo Biloba was the herb I used to bring it back..I knew about it,from working with it,in my health food shops...OUTLAW

• wednesday
    wednesday

L-Tyrosine can be very effective for depression. Per nutritional books I have seen, do not take L-Tyrosine ,) if you have a history of melanoma ( a malignant skin cancer) . Most things have side effects, one must decide if it is an acceptable risk.

I did want to pass on something that can be very helpful for energy, that is NADH. I believe it goes by brand name enada. At 20mg in the am, i can get some relief from fatigue. you may have seen it at airports.

Gingko gives me a headache, but my hubby loves it.

I have heard DMSO /DSO ?? can be helpful used topically for pain. anyone use it? it has precautions also.

weds

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Does Ginko really work?

About a month ago, I had a hard time getting enough sleep. Every night I take a 3mg pill of melatonin and sleep great. Tylenol PM does not work as well for me at the melatonin does.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass
    I take a 3mg pill of melatonin and sleep great

Jay - I have taken melatonin for years. There was a study that was done using flight attendants and some were given melatonin and some were given a placebo. It was over a course of 10 years. The female flight attendants that took melatonin did have a better pattern of sleep and there was a DECREASED risk of breast cancer. Whether cancer is linked to a lack of sleep or if we are chemically missing something that is replaced by melatonin, I don't know. What I know is this, I have a stressful job, I have a hard time getting my mind to rest or stay at rest, thus, I need something and I wanted to avoid what the doc wanted to do which was giving me sleeping pills. Melatonin has worked for me for years. It is not for everyone though. Depending on the mgs, some people have very vivid and some what frightening dreams, so it has to be started low and upped over time to see what works for each person.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

JayHawk1..I`ve never heard of Gingko used for sleeplessness..For repair of memory it Rocks!..I have my memory and vocabulary back..For sleeping I sometimes use a 25mg tablet of Diphenhydramine HCI...OUTLAW

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Looking Glass,

I noticed that too about my dreams. I remember them much clearer than before. I could swear I didn't dream at all when I would take the Tylenol PM and I never woke up feeling refreshed. Then my mom urged me to try the melatonin and wow, I feel pretty good most days for a change.

I'm enjoying the dreams too. They're quite fascinating.

Unlike yourself, I don't have a stressful job. My problem was my job changed from working nights to working days. (Friday, Saturday, Sunday 12 hours each day from 5am-5pm) After 5 years of working evening/night shift, my body just couldn't sleep at night. It still takes a little over an hour for the melatonin to kick in and often I forget to take it until I am in bed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit