Homeopathy popular in Jehovah's Witnesses ?

by Tigerman 126 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ackack
    ackack

The simple answer, zensim, is that stupid ideas that are held onto in the fact of opposing evidence for a long time deserved to be ridiculed. After a certain point, ridicule is all that is left. Vaccination has nothing to do with homeopathy. I can only assume from your response you didn't understand James Randi's explanation.

ackack

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I think there is a definate place for alternative and complimentary medicine but I think its use by dubs is often misplaced when used exclusively; I have seen it used for things such as depression which should be treated by traditional means. Of course it is inconceivable that a dub consult a mental health professional!

I always found it incredulous how many dubs suffered from weird and rare disease's and yet would only seek complimentary medicine as treatment!

DB74

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

A scientific look at homeopathy really supports the idea that it is total quackery. The dilution of the original subsance is outrageous. I do know several JWs who use it.

S4

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Indeed. Homeopathy is pure quackery.

I can't believe you said that. Homeopathy is a science, and not quackery. Lots of doctors use homeopathic remedies.

When I fell last year and thought I had broken my wrist and hand, I was in a great deal of pain but no broken bones. The doctor recommended Arnica gel, that you can buy at most health food stores. I rubbed it in, and it took away the pain. Arnica is a homeopathic remedy taken from Arsenic and it works!

My father was a Naturopathic Physician and he used Homeopathy extensively on us while we were growing up. It works amazingly well.

There was another I used for PMS and cramps. Almost a miracle.

I hate it when people say "quackery" when they have little or no knowledge of something. I still have lots of homeopathic things in the cupboard and I sell several too through my website. One of them helps people quit smoking and they say it's a miracle product. It also works to stop drinking. Another is for allergies.

The toothpaste I use is a homeopathic preparation that prevents and removes plaque. My dentist was amazed at my teeth when I went for cleaning. I sell lots and lots of to dental clinics.

• ackack
    ackack

Mulan, my stating that homeopathy is quackery does not impugn upon your intelligence in anyway. As I believe there are many perfectly intelligent JWs, I also believe there are many perfectly intelligent people who use homeopathic, chiropractic and naturopathic treatments. Regrettably (well, perhaps not), I've read entirely too much about homeopathy and how it works, and have looked at the studies as to its efficacy. Homeopathy doesn't work, as simple as that.

Smart people can hold onto bad beliefs. The science of belief and justification is illuminating, but humbling, as all of us, without exception, make mistakes in our thinking, and subsequently, believe in things that aren't true. Seeing as all of us were taken in by a mind-bending cult as some level, I think all of us can have a fair bit of sympathy over this phenomenon.

ackack

• zensim
    zensim

Ackack: I did understand Randi's explanation, but I don't have to buy it anymore than you have to buy my belief that alternative remedies do work. How much have you looked into the supporting evidence of many alternative methodologies? I have looked into both sides extensively and am happy to use both - but just because in one situation modern medicine is more effective, doesn't mean that alternative methods are completely ineffectual and vice versa.

I don't believe however that there is a one answer solution to any problem - HEY! - that's why I am not a witness anymore!!!!

Each person is a complex complex COMPLEX design of known and unknown quantities. And even the 'known' is constantly being expanded upon, recognising that some 'knowns' were erroneous etc. What works for one person will not necessarily work for another. Unfortunately, most medicine practices - sometimes including homeopathy - tend to only look at the symptoms. It is always the case, with any medical professional, of guesswork, detective work and isolating possible causes. Two people may present with exactly the same symptoms and yet the root cause may be so totally different.

That's why homeopathy might work in one person's case, who then goes on to religiously expouse the benefits of this miracle cure, but then not work for the next person who has the same symptoms and is latching on with understandable hope and expectation. When they are bitterly disappointed they then dismiss it as quackery.

I'm all for science, but it has it's place alongside the mysteries of the universe, not held in higher regard. I am too conscious that humans think they are right and have all the answers and then time proves them wrong.

• ackack
    ackack

zensim, you don't have to buy Randi's explanation but you should. Homeopathy contradicts all human knowledge about biology and physics from the last 150 years. Anytime someone claims that their explanation is correct and contradicts such a large body of knowledge you should be wary. Considered that trials have been conducted on homeopathy, and better blinded studies have shown increasingly less benefit, you should reject homeopathy as being nonsense. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, however, homeopathy is just crazy talk. It was made up out of whole cloth.

ackack

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

A few wtbts gems to consider

"We do well to bear in mind that among the drugs, serums, vaccines, surgical operations, etc., of the medical profession, there is nothing of value save an occasional surgical proceedure. Their so-called "science" grew out of Egyptian black magic and has not lost its demonological character.... we shall be in a sad plight when we place the welfare of the race in their hands."

"The Journal of the A. M. A. is the vilest sheet that passes the United States mail.... Nothing new and useful in theraputics escapes its unqualified condemnation. Its attacks are generally ad hominem. Its editorial columns are largely devoted to character assasination.... Itseditor [Morris Fishbein] is of the type of Jew that crucified Jesus Christ."

"Thinking people would rather have smallpox than vaccination, because the latter sows the seed of syphilis, cancers, escema, erysipelas, scrofula, consumption, even leprosy and many other loathsome affections. Hence the practice of vaccination is a crime, an outrage and a delusion."

"Vaccination has never saved a human life. It does not prevent smallpox."

"It has never been proven that a single disease is due to germs."

"Rabies! When it has been shown conclusively that there is no such thing as rabies!"

"Enfeebled constitutions, inherited from fashionable mothers, cannot stand up under tobacco... "

"Aspirin–The Menace of Heart Disease "

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And don't forget to "Stop chewing gum, as you need the saliva for your food."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homeopathy is a step forward for jwism - but tell him plain and hard - Go and see a medical doctor in case it's a tumour

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Homeopathy..Sounds like a Gay Serial Killer..LOL!!..I carryed homeopathy solutions in all of my Health Food Shops..I`m told the Queen of England uses them..No,not Elton John!..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• zensim
    zensim

Ackack: That's very interesting that you are telling me what I "should" do. I think that's why I left the org ... ?

You have completely missed the point of what I am saying. I am not saying homeopathy is right or wrong - I am defending the unknown and the mysteries of life from the minds of people like you who think that only science has the answer (even though, for the general part, most balanced scientists are constantly recognising that they do get it wrong - but hey, at least they admit it, unlike you and the witnesses).

As for the all the rubbish witness stuff about not taking vaccinnes - that is soooooo old. Yes, the witnesses get it wrong with their teachings, but a balanced person would also recognise that their limitations were often as limited as the consciousness of the world around them. Use that stuff as fuel for fire for cover ups and false prophecies. It wasn't the witnesses of the day who used to put epileptics in asylums 100 years ago, it was doctors (with their scientific understanding of the world) - it goes on all the time in every aspect of human life and evolving consciousness and knowledge, not just limited to the witnesses.

In my experience, and it is my experience, here in Australia, nearly every single witness would take a vaccination and have done for the past 40-50 years! In fact, one of the reasons I left the witnesses was because I was considered too alternative and anything outside of kath & kim mainstream must be demonic! (k & k reference for my aussie friends).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit