Homeopathy popular in Jehovah's Witnesses ?

by Tigerman 126 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

"First - the question. Is Homeopathy the practice of putting such a minute dilution of some certain agent into a water solution that most chemists say there probably is not even one molucule left of the stuff? If this is the one I am thinking of, the Homeopathy enthusiasts say that even if not one molecule was there, the water sort of took on the "imprint" of the medicinal and it was kind of there by proxy...(and was that why somebody mentioned Avogadro?) If that is the case, then the whole enterprise sounds pretty tenuous to me."

Yes, james woods, you are correct. That's the basic idea of homeopathy.

"However, along those lines - with as much paranoia on smurf dolls, the oija board, etc...wonder why this kind of thing has not been singled out as a questionable and possibly demonic practice?"

Alternative medicine has actually been singled out in the wt and also at various conventions. I'm sure Blondie could find some references for us. I remember specifically an article on muscle testing. I do recall the last DC I went to that there was growing concern about the jw use of alternative medicine and that jw's should be sure that these alternative practices did not conflict with bible principles. And insinuated that many of the practices could be interpreted as demonic. So yes, the wts is on it. Even so, many jw's still seek out alt med. They just don't tell others about it. That's what I did when I was into it.

tall penguin

• zensim
    zensim

I am starting to see a pattern developing on a lot of these threads - here the one is "JW's are really into alternative medicine" as opposed to "JW's are not into alternative medicine". Personally, my experience was like tall penguin and I left because I was into alternative medicine/ideas and that was considered "demonic".

I think the basic guideline is that the WTS will take whatever stand they like, on both sides of the fence, use contradictory logic and apply it to anything they don't understand! So when it suits them - encourage the sheep to seek out alternative remedies because (and again I agree with tall penguin on this one), it is safer than them getting a real diagnosis as to their mental and emotional health. But if something is too alternative (in other words, "We don't understand how it works") it is steeped in demonism. Everyone's reply here is based on their own personal experience depending on which mind set of the day they were caught in - but don't worry, the WTS has all bases more than covered, they have an answer for everything - because EVERYTHING is evil and the work of Satan!

This really worried me when they would use science to back up their interpretation of the bible but then, when the established science didn't support them they would say it was "the foolishness of man's thinking".

• wednesday
    wednesday

good points Zen and others. And if all else fails, the wts will (and has done this) tell us we are too preoccupied with our physical bodies and wait for the new system to fix it.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    I am starting to see a pattern developing on a lot of these threads - here the one is "JW's are really into alternative medicine" as opposed to "JW's are not into alternative medicine". I am starting to see a pattern developing on a lot of these threads - here the one is "JW's are really into alternative medicine" as opposed to "JW's are not into alternative medicine".

One of the silliest wts teachings is that their religion is practiced identically worldwide.

I too have seen countless threads debating if jws do something or do not do something. The fact is, there are a few clear cut rules that most of them follow. There are many more rules that are never printed clearly in literature but are derived from hints, contradictory statements in literature, and whims of local officials.

In this case, jws have a strong heritage of paranoia about science. There is no clear cut rule about what type of medical care to get; for the most part, it's just innuendo and local whims. If some local official decides to say it's demonic at an assembly, you'll find less in that area doing it. If in another area they mention nothing and let the old paranoia take root, you'll find more nontraditional stuff.

The jw religion is not universal.

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

Heh Let me put my 2 bits in

When I was devoted JW I got invited to some JW doos. There was always a group of old JW sistahs that practiced weird voodo stuff. One sistah would be sitting holding a vitamin bottle in the left hand. Another sistah (standing) would place some weight on the vitamin bottle with her hand. If the sistah holding the vitamin bottle could lift the bootle agianst the force of the other sistahs hand then this meant the vitamin was safe to take. If the vitamin bottle was lowered it meant the vitamin was toxic

I suspect these practices came straight out of the golden age magazine.

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

A couple of thoughts...

My wife and I were treated for a few years by a sister who did the homeopathic thing. This is how the "medicines", herbs, drugs, or whatever you want to call them were described:

sass_my_frass: in that description, "small doses" hardly covers it. More like, "doses so small no amount of the original substance could possibly be in the preparation."

But we didn't just take the little drops of horrible tasting stuff she perscribed. She had this machine that we would get hooked up to. She would have a person hold a brass looking cylinder wired to a machine, and then she would poke you in different spots with another brass looking thing which was also wired to the machine. I think the idea was to push on the same spots that are used in accupuncture. Depending on the reading that showed up on the machine, she would suppossedly know what organ or body system was "inflamed", thereby needing a cure. The machine would make this weird beeping/buzzing noise when she would apply her "poker" doohickey (therebye completeing the electrical circuit). Interestingly, the harder she pushed that doohickey into you, the worse off you were (it would change the reading on the machine - I can only imagine because of better electrical contact) - you would need a higher dose of her expensive mediine then. I didn't figure that out for awhile. I don't know if any of you know what that method or machine thing was called, but I think it was from Europe. I would be curious to remember what it was called. BTW, none of the expensive stuff she sold us ever did squat.

Second thought:

I seem to be noticing on this thread that chiropractors are being at times mentioned in with alternative therapies (with negative conoctations). I find this interesting since I have never considered them to be so. The chiroprator I started going to a few years back helped me a great deal. He is just a regular doctor type guy with special tables in his exam rooms so you can lay down and he can set the vertebrae back into place. Mine go out of adjustment because of a car wreck I had when I was a kid. Nothing weird or quacky about my doctor at all. Just a guy who knows a whole lot about how a spine should look when it is in alignment. I just go there a few times a year when things pop out of place and he just gives a few shoves in the right spots and I'm right as rain. Why do some here consider that quackery? Just wondering.

• FloridaPerry
    FloridaPerry

I have a problem with my serotonin levels. I took Paxil for about a year several years ago, but the side effects were too much. I'd rather deal with anxiety and depression. I did notice that I felt better after eating legumes, particularly split peas. I just couldn't really get the tryptophan I needed by food alone. I started taking 5-HTP after doing some research on the net. WOW! This stuff really works, for me at least. I was wondering if anyone else had experience with taking 5-HTP?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit