Homeopathy popular in Jehovah's Witnesses ?

by Tigerman 126 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Mulan, I know of alot of people that seek out natural therapies, not just JW's, but the question asked was "Homeopathy popluar in Jehovah's Witnesses?" so that was what my post was refering to. I remember when I was 10 my father was on a homeopathy kick at the time. A brother came out to the house, assessed what medical concerns we had, prescribed little white pills for us to put under our tounges. That atleast was one therapy where the medicine didn't taste bad! (Have you ever snorted sulfur up your nose for colds/sore throats??????)

I personally know three JW's that practice Reflexology, and JW's are not their only clients.

In my experience in several congs and in different cities, it seemed popular, and has been for many years.

BB

• Mulan
    Mulan
    A brother came out to the house, assessed what medical concerns we had, prescribed little white pills for us to put under our tounges. That atleast was one therapy where the medicine didn't taste bad!

That is the way my father dispensed the formulas too. He had the little white pills, filled little bottles with them, and the filled the bottle with the homeopathic liquids. The pills absorbed the liquid.

I understand your intent, but it seemed to be morphing into only JW's do this "weird thing".

• BrentR
    BrentR

I had a couple of conditions that traditional or western medicine could not help. Then what do you do? I had no choice but to look into alternative treatments. Thay all worked and continue to do so. To me it is irrelevant how many studies have been done on "x" number of people. The only study I am intersted in is the one I am doing on my own body. If alternative treatments work and western medicine has no answer then it will be hard to convince me that what is working is quackery or unproven. I just proved it to myself.

It always facinating to read some drivel about a given substrance that according to the FDA is unproven and inneffective but I have been using it and getting results for sevral years. It is just as rediculous as a saying that antibiotic you have been taking did not really treat your bronchitis, you just imagined it. Really?

• 2dothebest
    2dothebest

No it's not a Jehovah's Witness thing. Jehovah's Witness go to the doctor just like the Pope would if he had cancer. My mother had cancer and she went to the doctor, had chemotherapy, and did everthing else that could be done as long as it did not conflcit with her stand on whole blood transfusions. Jehovah's Witness are people and respect life so they would not treat themselves as lab rats.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Mulan - "By the way quite a few have PM'd me asking for more information on my products, especially the toothpaste." I can't PM from my Mac. Do you mind posting the name of the toothpaste?

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Addressing the original question of whether homeopathy is popular among jw's, it would appear to differ by region. Where I grew up there as an elder that practiced iridology, reflexology and treated with homeopathy and herbs. I saw him for a number of years, wasted a lot of money and am convinced that he is a quack.

I also saw a naturopathic dr, not a jw, who had an inordinately high number of jw patients. I also saw a chiropractor, again not a jw, but also with a high number of jw patients. From what I saw, a lot of jw's looked into alternative medicine, often without seeing a regular dr. Whether this is just reflective of what you'd see in the regular population, I'm not sure.

One theory I have is that to see a mainstream dr leaves one open to the possibility of being diagnosed as having an emotional/mental condition, which might then lead a dr to suggest psychotherapy. I wonder if a lot of the jw's, especially those with conditions with a high emotional/mental component (stress and cognitive dissonance), would steer clear of the mainstream doc for fear of that possibility. No jw wants to deal with the possibility of seeing a psych who might tell them that a lot of their physical problems stem from the stress of being in a cult.

Seeking out alternative practitioners who aren't qualified to diagnose conditions or run psychological assessments or other medical tests but only treat based on symptoms may feel "safer" to the average jw. Just a theory.

tall penguin

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Mulan - "By the way quite a few have PM'd me asking for more information on my products, especially the toothpaste." I can't PM from my Mac. Do you mind posting the name of the toothpaste?

It's called Orarex, and is not available in stores, only by mail order. This is my web address: www.enrichinglives.com/homeopathic%20products.htm

I hope I don't get in trouble for posting that.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I did not know him in person but I was told that he was JW. You can order his book also at this JW book-order site: http://www.sima.de/mindt/bestell.htm

• james_woods
    james_woods

One comment, one question on this:

First - the question. Is Homeopathy the practice of putting such a minute dilution of some certain agent into a water solution that most chemists say there probably is not even one molecule left of the stuff? If this is the one I am thinking of, the Homeopathy enthusiasts say that even if not one molecule was there, the water sort of took on the "imprint" of the medicinal and it was kind of there by proxy...(and was that why somebody mentioned Avogadro?) If that is the case, then the whole enterprise sounds pretty tenuous to me.

Second - the comment. I was actually a "witness" (like my pun?) to a case where a whole family was actually disfellowshipped for alternative medicine. They were going to a Native American shaman-like healer who made up herbal teas, incense, and the like. The committee got the notion that this looked a little too demonized for their liking, and the family would not quit it. So, time for a hearing and read a letter on them. I have always believed that this little "witch hunt" was really done because these people were unpopular with the servants of the day.

However, along those lines - with as much paranoia on smurf dolls, the oija board, etc...wonder why this kind of thing has not been singled out as a questionable and possibly demonic practice? On the other hand, the JW world has a long history of quackery - just look at some of the stuff Russell and Rutherford published as "natural cures".

Worse nuts than Kevin Trudeau, IMHO.

• rebel8
    rebel8

No it's not a Jehovah's Witness thing. Jehovah's Witness go to the doctor just like the Pope would if he had cancer. My mother had cancer and she went to the doctor, had chemotherapy, and did everthing else that could be done as long as it did not conflcit with her stand on whole blood transfusions. Jehovah's Witness are people and respect life so they would not treat themselves as lab rats.

I'm sure you sincerely believe that, and it may very well be true for the jws you personally know.

The truth is, the wt organization and jws have scorned traditional medical care for as long as their organization has been around. Please click on the link I provided. It has only citations from wt literature. Please look them up and verify them for yourself.

The current attitudes of jws about medical care are undoubtedly influenced by their past. There are still jws who think aluminum pans are a conspiracy to get them sick.

OK, so that was the past. What about now?

Well the teachings of the wts about medical science are intentionally misleading. Here's proof, which you can look up for yourself: http://www.reexamine.info/images/bloodessay.pdf

You can also prove it to yourself by checking into recent stories of jws who have in fact treated themselves or their children as lab rats. Here's one example where a jw mother treated her child with a chemical NOT recommended for her type of disease, at the urging of the wt organization, and she died: http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/fathershunned.htm

I was a lab rat too. Check my topic history and you will see the horrible things I endured.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit