Homeopathy popular in Jehovah's Witnesses ?

by Tigerman 126 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Is homeopathy ( the treatment of a disease using, in small doses, drugs that produce symtoms like those of the disease so that one's natural immune system can fight off the disease ) popular among active JW's ? My son who was raised as a JW has a large ( adult male palm size ) fatty growth on his back. His JW mother is treating him with homeopathy, as is a so called doctor. I have tried repeatedly to get him to have a biopsy done . . .as of this date no luck. Does anyone know if homeopathy is a popular way to go with JW's? Have any of you had the experience ? I would really appreciate any input.

• jinjam
    jinjam

I don't know if its a JW thing, but i can tell in Europe everyone uses it or at least tried. Its can useful for alot of things, eg stress, pain, anxiety etc, for growths, i have never heard anyone using it for serious illnesses, besides i have used it for my allegies, but i thinks its all a mind thing, there is absolutely no scientific proof that it works, but somehow loads of people use it, even me. I think your friend really needs to see a doctor

• DrMike
    DrMike

There were a few in my old congregation into this. They did not believe me about Avagadro

But hey, I was 11 what did I know...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWE1tH93G9U

• jinjam
    jinjam

sorry meant your son!

• Nellie
    Nellie

YES! It's a BIG JW thing! There won't be a need for doctors in the new system after all

• ackack
    ackack

Indeed. Homeopathy is pure quackery. The same antidisestablishmentarianism culture of JWs that rejects blood transfusions naturally latches onto things like homeopathy, naturopathy, chiropractic treatments and Noni juice (etc). Homeopathy kills (as people delay seeing a doctor).

ackack

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Since, in connection with the "blood question" JW learn from the WTS that alternative medicine is superior many fall for homeopathy. But I agree that many in Europe are trying it, even old-school doctors use some techniques and some is paid by health insurance.

• BrentR
    BrentR

I lease space in a chiropractic clinic and alot of JW's are patients there. I think part of thier attraction to alternative medicine is that it's almost always promoted through MLM's and they use thier JW networks to try to market it "in house". I am all for safe non-chemical therapies but not when you may risk your life. If they work great but if they don't then you are behooved to have an integrative approach. Use them all but use them safely.

• zensim
    zensim

Dr Mike - how can that video be put forward as a proper balanced rational discussion of the subject when all he does is mock, make jokes, has a voice dripping with disdain and every second sentence is "I told you it gets sillier and sillier". He is feeding his audience by emotion, not by even reason.

Do you believe in vaccination? Modern day vaccination is based on similar principles as homeopathy.

Science today concedes a lot of things that once were in the domain of 'quackery' - they know that there are a lot of things that work - even if they can't explain why yet.

At the end of the day, even if it is just in the person's mind (and we all know the placebo effect is a proven anomaly) then what's the harm if the cure is effected? My only concern, with anything (this applies to witness teaching or anything else any of us choose to replace it) is whether someone is open to other alternatives?

Tigerman: In my experience, homeopathy is no more popular amongst the witnesses then it is anywhere else in the world. In fact, I know a lot of witnesses who are probably more sceptical or fearful of anything alternative than the general population. But if some kind of census was done I would hazard a guess that it is probably a similar ratio of people who use it in the org as in the general pop.

Me? I do a bit of everything. I used to be very much into alternative medicine and for the most part still am. However, when alternative medicine can't give me all the answers I am happy to use science. And a lot of it has come full circle, with western medicine/science now backing up alternative remedies and now incorporating them (unfortunately, science had to develop even more before it was able to recognise what was truth all along). I take the wholistic approach, use mainstream (modern) and alternative (old or even ancient) medicine and look at not just the body by the mind and emotions also - everything is synergistic. On top of that throw in a good big dose of common sense. By all means - encourage a biopsy - that would be one of my first steps!

• BrentR
    BrentR

It sounds alot like a lipoma which is a benign fatty tumor. I see them on alot of peoples back's but they should always be checked. A dermatologist would be able to tell just by looking at it and it doesn't always mean a biopsy either. They just get in the way and pose an aesthetic problem when they get bigger in size.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit