HELP! Trying to convince my parents I am going to meetings!

by stillAwitness 106 Replies latest jw friends

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Hi Stilla, sorry this has turned into a MySpace style war, I upsets me that some people are being so tough on you.

how hard it is to steer away from this religion especially when its all you've known your whole life.

It is hard. It took me 10 years to come out and leave. I did not have the help of this board, but I made 'worldly friends' who gave me a lot of support and kept saying I would be far better to leave. But I just could not do it. I had a very close family and loosing them was too much to bear. It takes time to build up the emotional strength, and eventually I had to admit that if my family would put cult over me then they were not real family. I just feel sorry for them now, as I have moved on to better things, and they are still living in their simpleminded ignorance.

Do it in your own time, when you are ready. You need a good circle of friends first to support you, some finances behind you and some real life experience out on your own. Otherwise you risk your own emotional well being.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I didn't comment earlier on that thread because, as many, I had no other advice to offer than that which stillAwitness ruled out right from the start (i.e. honesty). I don't judge her for that, only notice it is quite consistent with her personal strategies from her former posts (trying to get around a problem before eventually facing it). It's not my way, but I respect it.

What I find very stupid is starting to question her online persona. This is a silly game to play on an online forum, because by those standards everyone is questionable to the vast majority which has not met them in person.

• undercover
    undercover
    What right do we have to tell someone how they should proceed, or how they ought to think or act?

She asked what we thought and we told her. Some people might not have been as tactful as others. Others plain don't believe her story and said so.

It's one thing for someone to seek advice; it's completely another to deride them for their choices and accuse them of being juvenile and/or pathological liars.

Normally, when dealing with a sincere person seeking honest answers to an honest question, I'd be right there with you...but I'm gonna have to side with minimus on this one. Something smells about this deal. It could be that a great deal of immaturity is the problem here and not outright dishonesty. I hope that's all it is, anyway. That's why I'm willing to chip in my two cents on what I think...after all, advice was asked for. Having followed the thread and seeing the immaturity of the one seeking advice, I thought that I'd just cut to the chase and lay it on the line so that my meaning was clear and to the point...just so's not to cause any confusion. That doesn't mean what I say will be appreciated or even considered, but that's fine too. Dr. Phil I ain't.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Finally Free said:"I suspect the "advice" you are taking is that which validates the deceptive course of conduct you had already seemingly decided upon. Let us know when the shit hits the fan. I'd like to be the first to say "I told you so." Not having any kids of my own I rarely get the opportunity. For your information the "advice" I receieved was from young and old-those who were in my same situation and those who are actually in that same situation now. And not that its any of your buisness but based on our similar circumstances we decided that the best thing to do is actually the complete oposite of what you are assuming and dear god thank god you don't have children cause I can't my mother being able to say "I told you so" to one of her kids as an oppurtunity to be anticipating.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

jwfacts said: " It takes time to build up the emotional strength, and eventually I had to admit that if my family would put cult over me then they were not real family. I just feel sorry for them now, as I have moved on to better things, and they are still living in their simpleminded ignorance. Do it in your own time, when you are ready. You need a good circle of friends first to support you, some finances behind you and some real life experience out on your own. Otherwise you risk your own emotional well being." Although he is a non-witness and hardly knows nothing about the Troof my bf gave me that very same advice. My problem is I am constanly seeking to do things today instead of dealing with them when the time comes. My brother (non-active but was never even baptized in the first place) has insisted that now is not the time to make a move on anything. That to just focus on school and work and if and when sh*** hits the fan deal with it then and I will have him to back me up and that was probably the best advice I should of taken from the beggining (after all-he is the only other person on this planet who came out of my mother's womb besides me) I realize now that all this time (weeks really) I've been chewing my nails and overeacting about a situation that could of simply been halted with a simple: "I am too busy right now for meetings and other things and need some time alone could of saved me a hell of a lot of trouble (and filled-up inboxes from the elder in my hall)

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    dear god thank god you don't have children

A few people have said that to me, but they've always been parents complaining about their kids, and telling me how lucky I am.

W

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I did not realise that you have a brother who is not a JW. It is great that you have spoken to him, that will help greatly.

You need to feel for your parents. In their mind they are losing both children to the world and eventual destruction. One day you and your brother need to strategize how to best reason with them that just because you do not believe that the Watchtower Society is Spirit direceted does not mean you are evil, or that God will soon kill you. Try to open their minds a bit to the Watchtower Society failures and lack of logic.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Here's what I don't get: What is it that is harsh? Defining the act of lying as lying? Defining the act of deceiving as deception? Honestly revealing to someone that asks for help in carrying these out that doing so will make her a liar and a deceiver?

Is honesty harsh? Sheez!

Since when did it become socially reprehensible to speak one's mind with integrity? Especially on topics that don't just touch on ethics but are steeped in ethics would I reserve the right to speak openly and directly without a need to couch my words in politically correct terms. If someone asks me to help them lie and deceive and then forbids me from encouraging honesty, you're damned right I'm gonna open both barrels.

And why should anyone feel bad about doing so? Is this what humanity sinks to as a result of being "sensitive"? I think I regarded as a pretty sensitive person, but when it comes to ethics I possess them and don't mind making it known.

For my part I repeatedly assured her that it is entirely her choice whether she chooses to lie and deceive her parents. I even gave her some pointers on how to do it successfully. But I also made clear that it islying and deceiving and there is no way to honestly sugarcoat that fact to make the pill easier to swallow.

Honest adults who are asked a question they don't want to answer inform other adults that they don't want to answer. That is what honest adults do. Dishonest adults lie and deceive.

Would someone please clarify for me how such direct statements should be kindly flavored out of consideration for ... anyone? Has it come to the place where we can't even speak unarguable truth to one another? Not one single person has yet even attempted to argue that the actions she asked for help with are anything other than lying or deceiving.

It's true of people who are still living at home, people who are trying to keep their spouses (I personally know that the conscience of one such ex-JW is ripped up over presenting even a slightly false face), or in any other situation or walk of life. I call it lying and deceiving because ... none of you can offer any better language part by which I can refer to it.

If she doesn't actively convince her parents that she is going to meetings (deceive her parents), will they cut her off? She hasn't said that would happen. She is simply preparing for the inevitable questions. It is none of their business unless she decides to make it so. Anyone got a counterargument to that reality of adult life (JW or otherwise)?

But, if she proactively deceives them (instead of choosing respectful silence on the issue) she is only making the eventual discovery that much more painful for her family. Anyone disagree?

Additionally, she isn't buying herself anything that silence would not also buy. Silence has the added advantage of not lacking honesty, a source of warranted self-respect. Anyone disagree?

Where is it written that questions asked of us require an answer? She's an adult. She isn't bound to her parent's will any longer. She can shut up about whatever she pleases and let them come to their own conclusions about her. But she wants to actively engage in deceit and pretend it is something else and, somehow, anyone who calls it what it is must be perceived as being overly harsh.

Bullshit.

That said, the whole "is she legit" debate is infantile in the extreme. I say so because it doesn't matter whether or not she is legitimately an ex-JW poster. Her questions are some that other departing JWs might have and our answers to her paint a picture for lurkers of what ex-JWs are.

Well, what are we? Can we at least agree that we are not people who pretend that dishonesty is something other than dishonesty, whatever the context and whatever the motivations?

Have I lied or deceived? Yep. Will I do so again? Probably, but it won't ever be a part of my character and I will never do it without shame at myself. Will I have to live with the consequences? Every time. Will I try and pretend it was something other than what it was?

Never.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Harsh as in "manner" (or lack thereof), not in content.

While I agree that any kind of "fading" is going to include some element of dishonesty, I believe there are extenuating circumstances when dealing with cults and the repercussions of leaving. I engaged in it myself for a few months while I established a support network and worked out how I was going to DA. For many years after being DFed my sister was still haunted by beliefs she had been raised with. She got reinstated (and subsequently DFed again) while not believing it, and yet it still retained a hold over her. I know intimately how difficult the situation can be.

I simply don't understand why anyone who has left the cult would lambast someone who is in the process of disengaging themselves physically, mentally and emotionally. It completely eludes me. Explain that one to me and I will have learned something new today...

...condone it and I'll call "bullshit"!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Where is it written that questions asked of us require an answer? She's an adult. She isn't bound to her parent's will any longer. She can shut up about whatever she pleases and let them come to their own conclusions about her. But she wants to actively engage in deceit and pretend it is something else and, somehow, anyone who calls it what it is must be perceived as being overly harsh.

Bullshit.

Well said. I wholeheartly agree.

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit