A reminder on Shunning family members again in the January 15th Watchtower!

by Gill 61 Replies latest jw friends

• My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    What I find incredible, is that this stone cold, heartless bullshit is written in the pages for WORLDLY parents to read (assuming that people are still placing the rags to the public). If I were a worldly person who read an article stating that if my child 'rebelled', then I would be obligated to shun them, there's no damn way I'd ever want to join. Jeezus, don't the boneheads in the Writing Department think before they write?

Mary I think that everything the WTS writes is aimed at the JW's, not the "wordly" people. I don't take this stance because I want it to be so, it just resonated with me and I haven't heard "convincing evidence" to contradict it. They preach to the choir because no one else is in the church.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    They preach to the choir because no one else is in the church.

Amen to that, brother. The latest mag around the house is December 1, so it will probably be a couple weeks until I get the January 15 issue. Remind me, and I'll scan the entire article. For comment and critique, of course.

• enlightenedcynic
    enlightenedcynic

Mary,

I share your outrage at this utter garbage that Brooklyn Bethel continues to print, but the reason they keep printing this stuff is because there are people who will continue to read it and believe it(my wife included). They have a captive audience that has shut down a major part of their brains and who suck all of the wts' bs right down.

ec

• Woofer
    Woofer

Are they having problems with parents not ignorning their d/f kids and associating with them? My mom just sent me the September Watchtower with the article "When a Loved one Leaves Jehovah" and now they are printing this bull again just a few months later??

What gives?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Not only df'd children also included are children who were raised in it but never baptised and left.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

When an erring child is disciplined by Christian shepherds, it would be unwise if you were to reject or minimize their Bible based action. Siding with your rebellious child would not be providing any real protection from the Devil. Actually you would be endangering your own spiritual health. On the other hand, by supporting the efforts of the shephers, you will remain solid in the faith and will provide the best help for your child.'

In other words, if your kids won't play ball with the wts, you should carry on punishing them after the elders have had their fun. I fail to see how shunning your kids actually helps them.

• dobbie
    dobbie

Sick twisted and very sad , boy they must LOVE the power they have to keep on churning out this crap!

• pobthespazz
    pobthespazz

Sickening , isn't it?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

An additional aspect is the implied in articles like this.

The implication being that long time, adult, faithful witnesses, mature Christians [from their perspective at least], are not to be trusted talking about matters of spiritual depth with a 15 year old fornicator, whom might just lead these long time, adult, faithful witnesses, mature Christians astray by the words they would use to confuse these parents into becoming evil sinners.

Even worse of course is the implication that such a child is able to 'stand on his own' emotionally and spiritually after a single event [perhaps] has now placed a scarlet letter across his/her chest.

The cold legalism of this hatefulness is apparent to any who look honestly at the matter. Yet how many of us accepted, at least to some degree if not 100% this bullshit as not only acceptable, but righteous in every way, whilst within the confines of said cult.

Testimony to the power of cult influence. Is it any wonder it takes some of us years to heal?

Jeff

• james_woods
    james_woods

Is it not really quite likely that this is the outer signs of a panic? Ride hard on those parents to shun these heathen wrongdoers more than they have been doing lately. (Just the thing to do to a teenager with a rebel streak, by the way!)

Panic, as in - way too many young people getting bored with it all, leaving, fading, slacking, getting in trouble, etc...and that even the dreaded "D-bomb" is just acting as a ticket to relative freedom (and maybe a badge of "cool") for these young rebels?

Without having been anywhere near a KH in years, just from friends and the forum, I get the idea that a whole generation of young kids are starting to vote with their feet.

James

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit