A reminder on Shunning family members again in the January 15th Watchtower!

by Gill 61 Replies latest jw friends

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

When I was a dub and trying to regular auxillary for a summer, a sister who was in the "family that did all the family parts"...you know the one....had an affair with a kid 20 years her junior and barely 18. She and he, went to pioneer school, they cheated RIGHT IN FRONT of us all denying our loving council that something looked AMISS there...and they eventuallly got caught and DFd. She had a 16 year old son who was this 18 year olds best friend and the 18 year old was living with them for the summer from Mass. Mom and boy toy got caught in a hotel and summarily DFd. The dad was and still is an Elder. The 16 year old went off the deep end, not surprisingly...ended up getting DFd and figuring the whole org was bullshit anyway, stayed DFd. Mommy and Daddy and Step Dad/ex friend SHUN THIS KID! They phuqued up this kids life and are continuing to punish him! The Dad married my mother in law and is now my step father and says that Jehovah will punish his ex wife for continuing to "make contact" with the wayward son.

Prodigal son my ass....LOVING ORGANIZATION....my OTHER ass!!

• juni
    juni

AKJeff said:

Even worse of course is the implication that such a child is able to 'stand on his own' emotionally and spiritually after a single event [perhaps] has now placed a scarlet letter across his/her chest.

The cold legalism of this hatefulness is apparent to any who look honestly at the matter. Yet how many of us accepted, at least to some degree if not 100% this bullshit as not only acceptable, but righteous in every way, whilst within the confines of said cult.

Testimony to the power of cult influence. Is it any wonder it takes some of us years to heal?

Jeff

I know I accepted it in the case of our 16 year old son. He was not baptized, but was DFed when they did that w/unbaptized associates in the ' 80s. They did away w/this policy a few years later as they had lawsuits over it. But the damage is done.

The whole family is looked down on. Our other kids' friends could no longer come over to play. It was HORRIBLE. Elders told my husband to kick him out of the house which he didn't do. He gladly stepped down from MS position.

To this day, my kids all adults remember when their brother left home at 18 to live w/a worldly family.

IT MAKES ME SICK AND VERY ANGRY TO READ ABOUT THIS SUBJECT. As Jeff said, it takes YEARS to get past the guilt of leaving this abusive org. Isn't that ironic?? That's the power cults have.

Juni

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    When an erring child is disciplined by Christian shepherds, it would be unwise if you were to reject or minimize their Bible based action.

My situation is a bit different. I was neither "erring" nor "disciplined by Christian shepherds". They were erring, and they were disciplined by me. The actions I took were bible based. I guess I don't have to worry about getting shunned.

W

• Kudra
    Kudra

Jayhawk wrote something about a "putting women in their place" article (Jaracz going out with a bang etc) in this WT- anyone read that?

I'd be VERY interested...

If anyone could scan it into a sepatate thread...

-K

• Mulan
    Mulan
    'Quite mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolator or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man.'

What if you haven't done any of those things? What if all you did was disagree with their teachings??? I've said that to my mother and she absolutely agrees.

It is a shopping cart religion, or some say cafeteria religion.............you pick and choose what you like and don't take what you don't.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Ahhhhh crap! There goes Christmas dinner again.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

dosent it seem that bullshit like this article could have some sort of legal action taken against the borg? i mean,the line about caring for the physical needs?..frightening..altho i know some jw folks that still care for their 'evil' spawn, in spite of the propoganda..i guess the bottom line is that if you are an ignorant asshole at heart,this sort of jw stuff will work for you.if not it wont..seems to be quite a simple way of sorting,really....shame on the w.t.b.t.s for printing such garbage,shame on them!!!!!

• Gill
    Gill

The printing of garbage like this article, is what some JWs believe gives them license to treat relatives who have left the bOrg so badly.

I say 'some' because on the one hand we have my parents, who to be honest are fanatical JWs, but they do not shun me, my sister or my children. Both myself and sister left the bOrg. My sister, a bapstised JW lives with her boyfriend and my mother has threatened the Elders with 'hell fire and damnation'! if they so much as threaten my sister with disfellowshiping. God knows how she gets away with it! I am openly apostate, at least in front of my parents, and though they huff, puff and complain about it, they do not shun me or mine!

Then you get my husbands family who shun us and our children even though they live a hundred yards up the road!

I guess it all depends how stupid a JW you are and whether you will follow every single rule regardless.

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

The article said:

by supporting the efforts of the shephers, you will remain solid in the faith and will provide the best help for your child.

I fail to see how this is the best help for a child? Surely at this time of their growth, this could damage them for the rest of their lives. I guess if some kids do respond to this blackmail, perhaps the fear of letting this happen again might keep them in, but not happy.

CS 101

• Gill
    Gill

Absolutely CS101! These kids must be traumatised by the whole even. The Watchtower implies forcing minors to study, go to the meetings etc. Can you imagine the trouble this causes in households. I wonder how many frustrated confused and foolish parents take to beating their youngsters, who are just doing what comes naturally and wanting to spread their wings and be normal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit