A reminder on Shunning family members again in the January 15th Watchtower!

by Gill 61 Replies latest jw friends

• My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    We must never waste the time we have with our loved ones, and the occassions to do something more for them or something special are to be prized.

Amen Gill. I could survive on that principle alone for the rest of my life and live a rich, rewarding life. Amen!

• proplog2
    proplog2

I have no problem with people choosing to avoid contact with "criminal" or "predatory" members of their families. I have some "fanatic" witness family members that I avoid eating with. It should be a persons own choice. I can also see why the elders might agree as a body to have nothing to do with a person they have judged as unrepentant. But their actions should only be advisory - not a commandment that would involve punishment.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Shunning is hatred directed AT me. It's not okay. There will be consequences.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

restrangled....i know exactly what you mean..exactly....

• nelly136
    nelly136

am shamelessly bumping this cos it took me soo long to find again

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Sad the whole Wt article and only one scripture and nothing written about family members and scriptural obligations. How does one stay compatible with honoring family members, loving our children and all the other obligations towards parents, children or mates when DFing comes into play, especially when not one scripture mentions it. How can the two be compatible, could it be 1 Cor 5 isn't referring to family situations?

Besides if you were to act on 1 Cor 5 you would have to DF every witness, I know of many drunkards, extortionists, I knew of plenty of witnesses who committed fornication and still were, many of greedy business practices and lying and when it comes down to it, don't all witnesses IDOLIZE the Wt instead of God? I don't have a problem with 1 Cor 5 of shunning but within the context of the scripture, if a person was truly trying to contaminate their congregations as they see it (the pillar of light), but not when a person just wants to move on, just wants to have a life, just wants to say HI to family member, just be HUMAN.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

When you read the full article has anyone noticed just how many times satan, is mentioned in the same sentence as the child who is to be shunned. The WTS attack on the family is not just overt but on a subconcious level too.

Sick bastards!

Gary

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

One thing that has sprung to mind is the key scripture behind shunning. 1 Corinthians 5:11

11 But now I am writing YOU to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man.

Doesnt this only apply to hypocrites? I.E If someone has chosen to live life how they wish then they are not calling themselves 'Brothers' are they? So why should they be shunned?

It goes to show that shunning a family member or anyone in particular who isnt being hypocritical is not scriptural or is this just my legal mind twisting the scriptures to suit our own ends LOL?

G

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I had read this back in November but had quite a bit going on. Thank You for posting this as it is helped me to understand things going on with my family lately.

There was contact, then a pull back, a direct shunning in public by my niece in law and finally my decision to df them because I realized that as long as they are being the puppets (and I don't mean this in a bad way, really) of the GB who can shun and non shun whenever New Light arrives, I am not going to play the game. Especially not with 2 kids wondering where their family is.

"Here they are"

"There they go"

"Here they are" and on it goes. Forget that.

Thanks again for posting the article.

• hambeak
    hambeak

It isn't just children but parents who have left the borg for whatever reason and these ones are shunned and verbally and mentally tortured by the self riteous little shits.

I agree with the previous posters that the men who have made these rules have no children or close family.

I also believe MOST jw families are totally dysfunctional. That whole damn organization is so full of crap it makes you want to puke.

Just my .02 cents

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit