What's the worst dish your mother ever made you eat?

by mrsjones5 96 Replies latest jw friends

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

Anything with Tripe in it (ex. Menudo)

YUCK!

• bebu
    bebu

Hey, I LIKE saur kraut on hot dogs. Mmmm.

Tripe... I've had it once, tho not served by my mom. Didn't know it was in Menudo, which I've never eaten, but always wondered about (with a name like menudo... something is just not right about it).

bebu

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Bebu, until now I thought we agreed on everything. Obviously, somebody has to like that stuff, I think it is the smell that turns my stomach.

• bebu
    bebu

LOL Jayhawk, when I was little I wouldn't eat it.

But mustard and ketchup on a hotdog is soooo boring. I like saur kraut and relish and onions. And dijon mustard, too. And I prefer polish sausage, since I'm at it. I only have a dog once every month or so.

Obviously, my tastes have changed!

bebu

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I don't like beets either. For some reason my mom does, but to me they taste like dirt.

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

Luckily I was never 'made' to eat anything - being a rather stubborn wee soul.

my favourite turn off was a dish called beef olives. This was sausage meat boiled to a lovely grey colour and then wrapped in thin steak which was usually cooked to the consistency of boot leather.

FF

• mama1119
    mama1119

Lentil Loaf....it tastes just as delicious as it sounds...a loaf of lentils. Also, once when my Dad was out of town (he does all the cooking) she attempted BBQ salmon. It did not turn out well, the top was pretty much liquid and the bottom was a crusty black. I still don't like salmon

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Most of what my mom cooked was inedible. But it kept us alive. It was my mother-in-law who really taught me how to cook.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Oh yeah liver and onions...and she also liked fish and especially sardines. Jeeeeesus.. ugh. Also she forced me to eat red beets...hot red beets mind you...and I told her they were gonna make me sick but she made me sit there in typical 1950s fashion (There are starving children in CHINA who would LOVE to have that food! You will sit here until you FINISH YOUR PLATE!) And so I did ...at about 8:00. I went into where she was giving my baby brother a bath in our nice WHITE tile bathroom and HURLED those bright red beets all over EVERYTHING. Did you know that beets stain porcelain? :)

Then there was Shit on a Shingle which apparently was a very popular cheap post war dish where you take hot chipped beef, peas, and some white sauce mixture, and you pour it over TOAST. And there you had it...SOS.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I had the same pea adversion. I can eat them now, but as a child I thought they were fuzy. So I never forced my kids to eat anything, I didn't see the point. However my paranoid child used to ask everytime we had meat if it was liver. I never cooked liver and never would have, she just wanted to be sure....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit