What's the worst dish your mother ever made you eat?

by mrsjones5 96 Replies latest jw friends

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

bbq'd goat!

it was cooked and still looked like a goat!!

ick!!
    i barfed

• rebel8
    rebel8

lol I can think of a few--cheese strata with mustard, boiled hot dogs, grilled cheese with Velveeta and mustard, something called Alpine Chicken........her regular dishes were horrible too. She used to make spaghetti all the time.....she'd make the sauce by putting a TON of oil in a pan and deep frying sausage in it until the oil was burnt, then adding a can of tomato sauce and boiling until burnt again. There was a big oil spill on your plate.

I did like plain foods so she should have just let me eat that. Instead, I'd feed it to the or throw it out the window.....or hide food bits inside her vase collection. Unfortunately the smell from rotting food gave it away, and the mice congregating outside the window!!!!!

Food was one of her big power struggles with me. I would have to eat what's on my plate even if it meant I'd stay up half the night trying to wait her out. I would often fall asleep on the table. She would "not spare the rod". This would happen a few times a week ---> ahhh, the memories.

The one and only time she has ever apologized for anything in her life was to me a few years ago for the food power struggles. She said Dr. Spock's advice was to reason with your child, and that didn't work, so she decided to do the opposite.

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

OK, those are all pretty bad... but none of them are close to a dish my step-mother used to make us eat. I think it could have been considered child endangerment.

She would take canned stewed tomatoes and rip up several pieces of wheat bread and stir it all up together into one big sloppy, slimy goo and heat it up unit it looked like chunky, steaming snot.

I don't think I want to eat for a week now just thinking about that dish.

• Nowman
    Nowman

Peas. I always gagged. Eventually, my parents stopped forcing me to eat them because I sometime would throw up from them. After a few years, they realized I could not eat peas. To this day, I will not eat peas. Sometimes Chinese fried rice has peas in it, I never will order from that particular Chinese food place again...In fact, when I a call a place I ve never ordered from, I always ask if the rice has peas in it, if they do, I say thank you and hang up, if they don't, they'll get my business.

Nikki

• luna2
    luna2

My mother is a very good cook so this is not a comment on her cooking skills.

When I was a kid, she would make homemade spaghetti sauce with large chunks of tomato, green pepper, mushrooms, onions and I don't remember what all in it. Apparently my father loved this muck and my brother and sister, while not estatic about it, could eat it without wanting to barf. Fine, but some kids (me) have a harder time with complicated food. I had a bug phobia too...I was always inspecting my meals for bugs, catipillers and other junk...and I found them just enough times to keep me wary. This stupid sauce was filled with stuff that had the texture of slugs...and it was way too spicy.

I tried swallowing it without chewing, but that just made me gag. I tried to get excused from the table to go to the bathroom so I could at least spit out a mouthful in the toilet. I tried just eating the stupid shell noodles she served it over and pushing the sauce around to make it look like I'd eaten some of it. To no avail. I would be forced to sit at the table with that plate full of cooling yuck in front of me until I could choke down enough of it to satisfy some arbitrary portion quota that my parents had set, all the while, listening to the usual line of crap about starving kids in foreign lands who would be grateful...blahdeblahbleetblah. Sorry, but I bet those starving kids would have totally gotten sick on that stuff.

Kind of stupid really. Its not like I was a picky eater about anything else. Why fight for dominance with a kid over one particular food choice? I would have happily eaten the salad, vegitable and some bread and butter for dinner on spaghetti night and just skipped the entre. But, no, we had to have all out war so my parents could apparently prove who was boss.

• Ironhead
    Ironhead

My mother's a qualified chef, and her food's delicious. But giving us lentil soup. Disgusting! Flipping hippie food. Neil from The Young Ones would be happy eating at my mum's.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Head cheese.

W

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

One of my parents invented a hideous concoction of jello with alfalfa sprouts. They would make jello and before it gelled they would add sprouts. So you would have the taste of lime or orange jello along with the crunch and stringiness of sprouts. ugh. it's been years and years and I can still conjure up that weird taste and texture. bleck!

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    Head cheese.

Ok, this may be the naive part in me, but what in the... is "head cheese"???? Do I even wanna know?? LOL

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    HEAD CHEESE
    Head cheese, also called souse and brawn, is a jellied loaf or sausage. Originally it was made entirely from the meaty parts of the head of a pig or calf, but now can include edible parts of the feet, tongue, and heart. The head is cleaned and simmered until the meat falls from the bones, and the liquid is a concentrated gelatinous broth. Strained, the meat is removed from the head, chopped, seasoned and returned to the broth and the whole placed in a mold and chilled until set, so it can be sliced.
    http://www.foodreference.com/html/fheadcheese.html
    The stuff my mom made was vile. It was mostly a gelatinous mass with pieces of questionable meat (usually pig feet) and spices. She'd put it in a bowl to chill, and later plop some on your plate. She and my dad would add some vinegar to it. I just gagged.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit