When will people "stop" relying on "churches and religions" for happiness?

by booker-t 82 Replies latest jw friends

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    Don't think I'm against a person believing in Jesus and prayer, my wife does this and is a good person, but I have seen things happen that she believes was an answer to prayer, as an example her daughter had a growth in her breast and she prayed for her and when she went back to the doctor it was gone, but why doesn't it work now, she has another growth and it isn't going away? Why doesn't God listen now?

Ken,

First, let me say that I am trully sorry for this developement with your step-daughter(?). I don't know why God choses to heal at times and doesn't at other times.

I guess that if miracles were commonplace then they would cease to be miracles.

• freetosee
    freetosee

It was not the believers who turned this thread into a debate, it was the non believers. This topic was about relying too much on religion itself - not a debate on chrisitanity.

I don't think so. A turning point was here:

When will people like you quit telling people like me that we don't need church?

Do you get "happiness" be denigrating those of us that attend church?

Why do you feel the need to shove your values down my throat?

For every one person that is still "unhappy" due to their church situation I can produce at least 10 times as many that are. What have you proved? Nothing.

I am moving along now

As an unbeliever I tryed to avoid debate on this thread. But anyway...

JWD is a forum where all points of view are expressed. (Long may it stay that way, too! We had enough of censorship / gagging while we were in the borg.)
  • XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Freetosee,

I fail to see why you are harping on me for being blunt and direct in my questions. If my style turns you off then you have a choice to either ignore the entire thread or my posts. I have simply responded in kind to many of the responses I have seen others post here. I don't recall you harping on the atheist/agnostic/skeptics for their harshness. If you have, then I will stand corrected upon production of the evidence.

I believe that your issue may be that you don't think it is right for a Christian to stand up and say enough is enough.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    you have a choice to either ignore the entire thread or my posts.

funny how you have a double standard on that issue...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/112019/1.ashx

I have no problem with peoples belief in god... what I do have a problem with is people's condescending attitude when some one disagrees with with a POINT of VIEW...

Some sayiny that goes: "you can dish it out...

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

OFG,

You seem to be unable to let this go. Why are you obsessing over this one statement? Are you that starved for acceptance? Is your self-esteem so low that one negative comment about your use of drugs causes you to interject it into every conversation I am involved in?

Obviously I hit a nerve. It is my personal opinion that pot smokers are losers. If you can't deal with it then too bad for you. Here's an idea: Get over it already. Obviously you can't tolerate people that have a negative viewpoint of your choices.

So pot meet kettle.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I will just say that in my personal experience so far with "needing" to find a church or a belief,,, it just hit me one day, that I didnt need it.

When I left JW, I thought I had to find God right away, I read, I pray, and prayed, thought with an open mind and felt .......nothing.

I felt no connection with God. I still don't.

When you try to have a relationship with someone and they ignore, after awhile you quit trying. That is where I am now.

That doesnt mean that I hate God, or that I totally don't believe, I am not even sure where I fit in , in what I believe. And that is fine with me for now.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I understand your feelings Lyin. I had them for about 4 years after I left the WT$.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    Is your self-esteem so low that one negative comment about your use of drugs causes you to interject it into every conversation I am involved in?

Again, it's your double standard... Cannabis is a drug?... but drinking a cuba libra is ok?... Sorry but alchohol is a drug also...

It is my personal opinion that pot smokers are losers.

I've known way more dis-functional alcholics than cannabis users...

So I am to assume that if a musician is a known "drug user"(Elvis, Willie Nelson, Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrixs, etc...) you cannot enjoy their music cause they are losers?

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    Is your self-esteem so low that one negative comment about your use of drugs causes you to interject it into every conversation I am involved in?

Again, it's your double standard... Cannabis is a drug?... but drinking a cuba libra is ok?... Sorry but alchohol is a drug also...
    It is my personal opinion that pot smokers are losers.

I've known way more dis-functional alcholics than cannabis users...

So I am to assume that if a musician is a known "drug user"(Elvis, Willie Nelson, Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrixs, etc...) you cannot enjoy their music cause they are losers?

Canabis-illegal, one drink-legal. Keep on trying. Besides, the one drink I had at a movie was the first drink I had had in nearly 6 months ( I drank a beer while whatching the USC-Texas game at a local restaurant). Prior to that, one glass of wine while at dinner with my wife for her birthday in December. Prior to that? I can't remember. So quit trying to use me to justify your choices in life.

I also know a number of former addicts that all state that marijuana was the gateway drug that led them to harder drugs. What's your point?

Yes, I think they are losers. That is my personal opinion. Now, I have said my piece on this matter, which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the thread at hand. If you wish to continue start a new thread, PM me, or leave it alone.

My discussion with you on this mater is now closed.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    So quit trying to use me to justify your choices in life.

Na... it's not all about you... My choices are based on experience...e.g. An alchoholic is way more prone to beat the shit out of their kid.. I personally believe that a cannabis user is much less prone to act this way...

Now Remember, God Made Cannabis...

OK, I'm done

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit