When will people "stop" relying on "churches and religions" for happiness?

by booker-t 82 Replies latest jw friends

• booker-t
    booker-t

To XJW4EVR, you certainly got the wrong idea from my post. I am not saying that you don't have to go to church I am saying that the church cannot make you happy only you yourself can make you happy. If you love going to church go for it. If you hate going to church then don't go. I personally am 150% happier now that I no longer depend on going to a "church" or religion with a million rules and regulations and their interpretation on what Jehovah and Jesus requires for believers to be saved. I read my bible by myself without any "minister" instructing me that his interpretation is correct. I let Jehovah and Jesus and the Holy Spirit enlighten me as to what the bible means and I live with it. I am not guilt-ridden with the favorite scripture of churches about "never forsake gathering together" which is totally I believe taken out of context to make people feel guilty about not attending church. If this was true then the Apostle John must have been condemned by Jehovah and Jesus when he was on the island of Patmos for two years. He did not attend church. Again whatever makes you happy then go for it I chose "not" to go to church or religious meetings anymore and I am happy and I feel Jehovah and Jesus still loves me.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

booker-T,

I agree again and I am a Chrisitan. I sometimes attend a non-denominational church for the fellowship but I do not feel I need to go to church as the Christian "Church" just means the body of believers in Christ.

I am not now nor will ever be again on a roll call list of any religion. I choose to be a free agent in Christ alone and can go to any church for a sunday service I wish to attend, any denomination, any time without being confined to one.

The Christian message was simple like balsam said - you can go to God thru Jesus, other faiths teach other ways to God and that is a personal choice

but, no one needs to go to church if they don't want to - I can pray in my home, back yard, car, wherever I am and I do not need to go to a place to do that.

The thing about religious institutions is that if you want to "join" them, you have to not only accept the simple message Jesus taught but you have to accept all the teachings, traditions, doctrines and creeds that are unique to them and I think this is wrong as they are promoting sects which the bible says not to do.

XJW- I don't think booker-t had any malice in starting this thread but I do understand how you feel. I have been called stupid a lot on this forum as well as guilable for being in a God. And some people here who feel they are much more intellectual than I am cannot understand that even though I own a lot of contrary information to the bible and other views, I still decide to stay a Christian. They think I should leave because the information proves Christianity is a sham. But I think it is just another opinion and a lot of things in the bible are based on faith not on head knowledge. So I do understand your frustrations but I thought this time, booker-T was very nice in his thread and was not trying to demean us in any way. Lilly

• juni
    juni
    I am moving along now

Good exJW4ever! I think it best.

No one is or trying to jam anything down your throat. Why are you getting so defensive? It's because you have not found TRUE happiness. Peace and contentment within yourself. Otherwise you would not be defending the reason why you go to church in such a harsh way.

Juni

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I'm with you on this booker-t.

I haven't gone into a place of worship since I left the jws, and have no desire to enter one. I would be very wary of becoming involved in any kind of organised religion again. To be honest, I have lost all faith in God after my experiences in the wts, and would class myself as an agnostic these days. I feel no need to pray anymore, I am no longer certain anyone is listening anyway.

As for those who have become Christians and/or do attend other churches, I would never knock them in any way. Post - wts, we all have to find ways to heal ourselves and find happiness, and if going to another church is the solution for some, good luck to them.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

Me thinks XJW4EVR needs to burn one...

There ya go X'4EVR, Now you can accuse someone(me) of telling you what you need to do

• sinamongurl
    sinamongurl

booker-t:

you are absolutely correct....it is up to us to make ourselves happy....

i also do not consider myself a wt basher or an apostate.....i simply a thinker....i find comfort here and healing.....it took many years to get the religion in me.....and it will take years to get it out of me.......

i was young, and so wish that i was older with more experience so that i could think for myself.....but without the organization i wouldnt be the person i am today.....i have learned many good things that i have taken along with me

thanks for your comments

Sin

• Phil
    Phil

What is the name of a person or persons that do not believe in church-going? That which has been elequently described on this thread. Is there a name for such a person? How about the "free thinker". That sounds just about right.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

First, Juni, if what I wrote came across to you as harsh, then I am sorry. I was being direct. In the same manner that I percieved booker to be direct. That being said, I find it funny that whenever people like us respond in any manner other than milquetoast we are deemed as "harsh" or "defensive." But that is for another time.

Booker, I think your view of Hebrews 10 is a little skewed. The purpose of corporate worship is to remind us that we are not islands unto ourselves. It is in the corporate setting that some can meet the needs of those that are hurting for whatever reason. I chose to attend church because helping other people gives me a sense of happiness (contrary to Juni's opinion, yes, I have found happiness). It is in this setting that I can share those things that God has revealed to me through the study of His word. Who is not having their needs met because you have chosen not to share what God has shown you?

As far as your example of John, I think you are grasping at straws in order to justify yourself, but I could be wrong. I have some very good friends that are unable to attend church due to ill-health or distance (one is serving in Iraq) or work they certainly don't feel guilt for missing church. What they do miss being with friends.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

The main function of healthy mainstream churches are focused on charity and joyful worship together. The Christians I surround myself with are not legalistic or controling. Our happiness has nothing at all to do with the church exept in that it offers us an unconditionaly loving extended family. The pastor does not ask for us to obey him, or look to him, but to God. We have no set of doctrines but for the Nicene Creed.

The one main problem I think we have as a forum family is not everyone has experienced this type of healthy church to be able to judge it. My relationship with Jesus has nothing to do with where I go to church. I look forward to Sundays because I love the worship. I enjoy my pastor.

I adore my church family who do not come with phony facades and fake smiles. If they are hurting they say so and we help. We don't judge them or take them to the back room. I love them deeply, their children, their families, and when they hurt, we all hurt. We do hide from each other.

My particular non denominational church provides many charities to surrounding communities. Food, clothing, shelters, orphanages, drug rehab homes, financial aid, you name it. If there is a need, we fill it. Because that is what we who follow Jesus believe it means to be a church. Love~Kate

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

OFG, it was funny once, now it's just old.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit