When will people "stop" relying on "churches and religions" for happiness?

by booker-t 82 Replies latest jw friends

• Undecided
    Undecided

It would be nice to have a relationship with God or Christ, but when it's all one direction and there is no replay from them it becomes kind of a product of my imagination or mental brainwashing. Time will tell, or maybe not tell if there is any truth to the philosophy of religious men. Religion has caused so much harm to minkind it's kind of hard to get involved in it.

Ken P.

• freetosee
    freetosee

I know a few xjws who changed from one cult to the next and condemned me for not coming along. The question is why do some xjws fall into the trap of another cult when they have just been through the WTS? It is as sad as those going back to the JWorg after falling deeper into depression and are now even more vulnerable to the WT manipulation. The problem is like booker-t said; they have not found inner happiness.

There are many factors that add to this insecurity -childhood experiences, dysfunctional families, religious manipulation, to mention a few. So they are easily sucked in by those claiming to offer true happiness.

On the other hand, I am often baffled with admiration whenever I meet people who have experienced terrible hardships or suffer from illness or handicaps and yet are full of life and joyful individuals.

Freetosee

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Ken I certainly understand how you feel.

For me the glass is half full and I can see all the wonderful and good things my church has done for the community. I can gaurentee you I am not psychotic. I do have a relationship with Jesus that is not based on any church or religion. There is give and take. I have evidence, science, of miracles he has done for me. Some people say, "well great you healed yourself." No, didn't happen that way. I cried out to Jesus, he came through. I am not alone here, throughout the last 2000 years there have been many who had this deep personal relationship and trust. They were willing to be horribly burned at the stake for this relationship and truth. Read; "Foxes Book of Marytres."

"The primary goal of all istitutions and subcultures is self-preservation. Preserving the faith is central to God's plan for human history; preserving particular religious institutions is not" From "The Myth of Certainty by scholar Daniel Taylor

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate
    On the other hand, I am often baffled with admiration whenever I meet people who have experienced terrible hardships or suffer from illness or handicaps and yet are full of life and joyful individuals.

Freetosee

Free you just described me. I was born with a genetic disease that caused major organ damage, autoimmune disease-lupus, thyroid disease, and a full range of other "diseases." I was near liver failure in 1994. I have to have a unit of blood removed every 8-12 weeks for the rest of my life. The pain at times is excruciating. I have suffered as many others have in homelessnes and poverty. I'll be on SSD the rest of my life.

Do I rely on a church or religion for happiness? NO. Not at all. But my personal relationship with Jesus gives me peace. He knows about suffering. So many people have after death experiences...all the time. I had one too. I know what is on the other side. I know what the important things in life are for me. ....Love...~Kate

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

So freetosee, just to be clear, and so that I won't be accused of being too harsh, or not nice enough, are you saying that those of us who have become Christians after leaving the Jay-Dubs have merely exchanged one cult for another?

Think before you answer.

• startingover
    startingover

Nosferatu, well said!

Agreed, and good post! What really bothers me is the close-minded people who make their beliefs known that Jesus is the ONLY way to be happy. I have respect for those who are happy in their faiths, just as I'm happy without mine. However, when they begin to push that their faith is the ONLY way to live, and all other ways are wrong, that's when I get upset.

Closed-minded people have seem to have difficulty learning or maturing themselves. I also have to wonder if they REALLY are happy, or if they're just telling you they're truly happy.

As I read the posts on this thread it irritates me how Jesus is spoken of as fact. To me it's a subtle way of telling everyone else they are wrong. From the research I have done Jesus was nothing more than one of many messiah figures squashed by the Romans, that is if he existed at all. I personally don't need a Jesus or a god or anyone else to give me happiness. And I think most of the ones that get happiness from a church is because it's nothing more than a social club.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    As I read the posts on this thread it irritates me how Jesus is spoken of as fact. To me it's a subtle way of telling everyone else they are wrong.

I read your post, and it irritated me that you imply that Jesus is not a fact. To me it's a subtle way of telling me that I am wrong, as are those that believe. Why are you so narrow-minded?

• startingover
    startingover

How about this, because I checked it out and the facts are not there.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

OK.. On Topic...

I have respect for those who are happy in their faiths, just as I'm happy without mine.

I can Honestly say that is my attitude on the subject... I personally can't believe that the bible is fact... But none the less I love Reggae Music, and all the positive vibes, and I also love alot of Hip-Hop artist that talk/rhyme about their beliefs in God...

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate
    As I read the posts on this thread it irritates me how Jesus is spoken of as fact. To me it's a subtle way of telling everyone else they are wrong. From the research I have done Jesus was nothing more than one of many messiah figures squashed by the Romans, that is if he existed at all. I personally don't need a Jesus or a god or anyone else to give me happiness. And I think most of the ones that get happiness from a church is because it's nothing more than a social club.

I have not told anyone they are wrong in any way. I respect your perspective on the person of Jesus. That is your personal experience with Jesus up to today. Tomorrow is another day. I fully respect that that is your human experience. Can you have a little mercy for me to have mine?

My church is no social club. We have a direction, a purpose based on non conditional love of all mankind and providing for their needs, and joy filled worship. I am truly happy that you are happy. Can you try to be happy for me?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit