What are you reading?

by damselfly 89 Replies latest social entertainment

• jojochan
    jojochan
    I've read a few of Chuck Palahniuk's books lately: "Fight Club," "Survivor," "Choke." Really good stuff I'd highly recommend.

Yeah...I loved "Haunted". I finished reading "Tietam Brown" by MIck Foley for the second time, loved it.And of course "Black Boy" by Richard Wright one of my all time faves.

I'm starting on "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown, I know the book is old but I wanted to check it out.

jojochan.

• jojochan
    jojochan
    The Kamasutra for Women (The modern woman's way to sensual fulfillment and health)- Vinod

jojochan.

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah
    and Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky

I have started that book many times and have yet to really sit down and read it. Did you enjoy it?

• Purza
    Purza

I am reading "The Haunting" by Shirley Jackson. My boss said it is a must read -- and it is something I would have never read as a JW.

Purza

• uninformed
    uninformed

Loruhamah,

That was a very impressive book list. I read some of those myself.

I am in "Master and Commander" by Patrick O'brian. I like old sea stories and I plan to read all of his.

For light reading I read all 11 or 12 volumes of Horation Hornblower.

My favorite book of all time was two books, "The Winds of War" and War and Remembrance" by Herman Wouk.

It consists basically of two volumes about WWII and follows one family's life. Very sobering novel.

uninformed

• bem
    bem

If you like The J.R.R.Tolkein ring books you should really read Elizabeth Haydons books Rhapsody, Prophecy, and Destiny, I have been telling a friend how great they are and started sending the set to him now his boys are reading them and he loves them, they are really good fantasy novels, great friendships and a bond of affectione between the three main characters, Rhapsody a female elf like lady tough as nails though, Grunthor a sgt. of an unusual type with hide and tusks and claws but has a wonderful personality, and the other character is Achmed. Then the adventure continues with Requim for the sun and Elegy for a lost star editted to add: I am reading this book series again.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

For those interested in these things, can I recommend 'The Dead Sea Scrolls Deception' by two of the three who wrote 'HB&HG' (Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln). Throws a new light on some important NT times stuff.

I enjoyed (but it took a few readings) 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson.

And for fun I avidly read and re-read anything by Garrison Keillor.

• damselfly
    damselfly

<<I just finished "The Time Travelers Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger.>>

Excellent book! I read it last year and couldn't put it down.

Dams

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

'k. I'll play. I have a monthly book club meeting where we all bring suggestions as to what to read for the next month and then vote on the suggestions. I brought this book up as a suggestion a few months ago and finally last month some others decided it sounded interesting. It's called A Complicated Kindness and it's by a Canadian author, Miriam Toews. I have only begun reading it, but it's great...in spots hilarious, tragic, and oh-so-relatable for xjws. (In the congregation where I grew up, one of the elders had actually converted to jw-ism from Mennonitism...he was the hardliner you would imagine.) Some selected quotes: "We're Mennonites. As far as I know, we are the most embarrassing sub-sect of people to belong to if you're a teenager. Five hundred years ago in Europe a man called Menno Simons set off to do his own peculiar religious thing...Imagine the least well-adjusted kid in your school starting a breakaway clique of people whose manifesto includes a ban on the media, dancing, smoking, temperate climates, movies, drinking, rock 'n' roll, having sex for fun, swimming, makeup, jewellery, playing pool, going to cities or staying up past nine o'clock. That was Menno all over. Thanks a lot, Menno." "When we were little, Tash and I would sit in the darkened dining room of my grandmother's farmhouse, listening to the funeral announcements. They came on after supper, on the local radio station we were allowed to listen to because the elders knew that it was better for little children to listen to the names of dead people being read out in a terrifying monotone than the Beatles singing All We Need is Love." "...Golf was another one [of the games we were allowed to play] because it consisted of using a rod to hit something much, much smaller than yourself and a lot of men in this town enjoyed that sort of thing."

• damselfly
    damselfly

Ooooooo! I'm not the only poster from NS?! Lol.

A Complicated Kindness was a great book. Loved it.

Dams

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit