What are you reading?

by damselfly 89 Replies latest social entertainment

• hippikon
    hippikon

I want to read The Power of Now. WTF - Havn't you just escaped a weirdo BS cult?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'm a bit sick of reading, because of all the studying I'm doing in Management and Psychology, however:

Just read:

• By The Light of the Moon - Dean Kontz
    • The Temple and the Lodge - Baigent & Leigh

Reading:

• A Body of Divinity - Thomas Watson

Waiting to be read are:

• Across the Nightingale Floor - Lian Hearn
    • Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
    • Unto Thee I Grant - Sri Ramatherio
  • poppers
    poppers

"There's one more by Jane Austen I need to get.... Hmmmm... what's the title ?"

Celia, could it be Persuasion?

hippicon, what do you know of The Power of Now?

• damselfly
    damselfly

Memoirs of a Geisha is on my "To See List" of movies but its been a while since I read tha book. Maybe I'll read it agani before renting it.

Dams

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I read Memoirs of a Geisha a while back and I just hated it. It bored me to tears and I didn;t give a monkeys ass about any of the characters. However I've got the movie at home to watch during my convalescence in June so maybe I'll spot something new.

"Life so Far - A Memoir" by Betty Friedan. I'm on page 69. I thought it was about time I became a feminist.

LOL @ jgnat. I'm not sure you can be on page 69 AND a feminist! LT - when you get round to Across the Nightingale Floor let me know what you think - as its in my "to read" pile too.

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah
    I got a chance to see it in theater twice in London. Once from the nose bleed section in '98, and once from 2nd row in '01. I have 5 tickets for my kids and roommate and I in first balcony next month here in the US and 2 from higher up for next month also! Trying to get a friend to go with me for the 2nd set.

I love the play but I found the book to be very difficult. The initial part with M. Welcome was very enjoyable but there was so much information on characters that only played a minor part in the book. I enjoyed the twists but the endless volumes of information was difficult for me to get through.

Congrats on getting to see the play again. Our area doesn't get that much theater activity, though, I wish it did.

Loruhamah

• Swan
    Swan
    love the play but I found the book to be very difficult. The initial part with M. Welcome was very enjoyable but there was so much information on characters that only played a minor part in the book. I enjoyed the twists but the endless volumes of information was difficult for me to get through.

I've never been able to see the play but thoroughly loved the book. But I can understand about hard to get through books. The hardest book for me to get through was Moby Dick.

I am currently reading Diana Gabaldon's newest book in the Outlander series, "A Breath of Snow and Ashes". I'm about halfway through it. It's almost 1000 pages.

Take your time. If you can make the next 500 pages last another year and a half, then you will finish about the time the next one comes out. That way it won't kill you to wait for the next book! The suspense for me is murder! I missed Claire, Jamie, Bree and all the others for days after I finished it. It's so sad when a good book ends. And the last 200-250 pages are dynamite!

Currently I am reading some lighter fare, such as Robert B. Parker's Spenser and Sunny Randall novels.

For heavier stuff, A Christmas Carol by Dickens (something I was never able to read before), Pride and Prejudice by Austen, and Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky.

Tammy

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Gertrude Simmons Bonnin

"Memories of an Indian Childhood."

I am getting some pointers for my own autobigraphical outline.

HB

• parakeet
    parakeet

"In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I just finished "The Time Travelers Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. The story follows the adventures of a man afflicted with a genetic disorder which causes him to spontaneously transport to another time and location, and about the woman he eventually marries. Unable to control his affliction, he vanishes into the past or future at inappropriate times, remains gone for moments, hours or days, and eventually returns. At times, his voyage lands him in very difficult circumstances, other times it seems more mundane. The story is not so much about the science-fiction mechanics of how this works, but more about the romance, developing over decades, between himself, and his wife (who he first meets on one of his journeys into the past, then years later meets her "in real time"), and how she deals with his repeated absences. The story is set in and around Chicago, during times ranging from the 1960's through the middle of the 21st century. Quite interesting, and made my heart kind of fill up at times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit