What are you reading?

by damselfly 89 Replies latest social entertainment

• damselfly
    damselfly

Now that I'm done with school for the summer I've got some spare time to read as much as I like. Heaven!

I just finished "Sylvanus Now" by Donna Morrisey. Really good book, really good writer. Her others are "Kit's Law" and "Downhill Chance".
    She's from Newfoundland and lives in Halifax, Nova Scotia. All her books are set on the Rock and so vivid with the local dialects.

So what's on your list to read? Any recommendations?

Dams

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I want to read The Power of Now.

• damselfly
    damselfly

Has anyone read "The Birth House" by Ami Mckay? It's based in Nova Scotia and has gotten really good reviews.
    This will probably be my next purchase.

Dams

• Confession
    Confession

I've read a few of Chuck Palahniuk's books lately: "Fight Club," "Survivor," "Choke." Really good stuff I'd highly recommend.

But right now I'm trying to get through M. James Penton's "Apocalypse Delayed: The Story of Jehovah's Witnesses." While it's certainly full of lots of information, it's not what you'd call an easy read.

• Legolas
  • Crumpet
    Crumpet

I'm reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal Dreams

Books I have thoroughly enjoyed quite recently have been fictionalised biblical accounts of women of the bible - and I don;t mean the WBTS versions, but proper meaty stories like Anita Diamant's The Red Tent about Dinah which I loved. If you read that then you will like these:

Rebecca Kohn - The Gilded Chamber - about Esther and Mordecai - well sexy - say no more!

Orson Scott Card's Rebekah (about Rebekah) and Sarah etc - not so sexy, but good story

Marek Hatler - Zipporah (Moses's first wife)

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I have so many books I just haven't made time for reading; but I'm in the middle right now of an older Peter Straub book called "Floating Dragon". It's fictional sci/fi horror which is what I love reading.

When I'm done with it I plan on getting around to reading my copy of The Da Vinci Code my Mother In Law gave me (I know I'm so behind the rest of the world).

• damselfly
    damselfly

I did read The Red Tent a while ago and really enjoyed it. Didn't like her other book though, not of the same quality at all.

Dams

• daystar
    daystar

I restarted the Dark Tower series by Stephen King not too long ago, since I'd only read through book four (of seven).

I recommend:

• Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein
    • The Dark Is Rising series - Susan Cooper
    • Battlefield Earth - L. Ron Hubbard (Yeah, he was a crackpot, but this book is actually pretty good (movie sucked horribly).)
    • Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clarke
  • lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I've still yet to finish the DaVinci Code. I won't admit when I first read chapter one!

Another one I want is The End of Faith: Religion, Terror and the Future of Reason by Sam Harris.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit